Carb-Dense Vegetables

gswh2

Is there a recommended minimum or maximum when it comes to carb dense vegetables? I have never been a big sweet potato or squash eater. I just started Whole30 and I have been getting hungry between meals. I think adding some of the carb dense veggies might help. 

I am a runner/triathlete and I don't want to accidentally hinder my transition to fat burning by eating too many carbs. 

Should I try to add them to one meal a day or every meal or does it not matter?

• Moderators

You won't hinder your fat-burning development by eating carb dense vegetables. I adapted in about 2 weeks while eating one and sometimes two sweet potatoes per day even when I was only training about 4-5 hours per week. 

The recommendation is to eat carb dense vegetables to the extent you need them to support your activity level, performance, and comfort. When you are training hard, you need more, when you are resting, you need less.

The best way to figure out your best level is with experimentation. During hard training cycles, eat at least one sweet potato per day (or equivalent). 

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, phxpowerfrau said:

Hi, Glenn. I am new to Whole30! My Whole30 book lists "Potatoes (all)" on the shopping guide. I am wondering, why do you say to omit white potatoes during Whole30? 

This is a post from May of 2014, made before the rules were changed to allow white potatoes. (Discussion of that rule change here, if you're curious:  https://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

Archived