Does fruit feed the sugar demon?

Hi everyone! I'm on my 6th day of Whole30 and having a bit of trouble with fruit.

Pretty much all my life I've had a piece of fruit after my main meals - it just felt necessary to end them on a sweet note - so coming into Whole30 I thought I might be able to keep that up. However, I've recently started wondering if my need for a piece of fruit after my meal is actually a want, a craving, because even if my stomach feels content I still always feel that fruit pull.

Should I stop having fruit after my main meals? Is it feeding my sugar demon?

Thanks in advance!

It could be. I would definitely make sure to eat fruit with your meals and not as a snack. Also you can do a whole30 without fruit. I know easier said than done. You might want to eat fruit and some starchy veggies at different times of the day to see what works best for you. Maybe if you eat in the morning you crave sugar all day so maybe night would work better for you. Good Luck!

it just felt necessary to end them on a sweet note - so coming into Whole30 I thought I might be able to keep that up. However, I've recently started wondering if my need for a piece of fruit after my meal is actually a want, a craving, because even if my stomach feels content I still always feel that fruit pull.

Should I stop having fruit after my main meals? Is it feeding my sugar demon?

In your case, it might be.

I would experiment with removing fruit after every meal, and follow the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat at every meal. Use the Whole30 to tune into your satiety cues and see when you're pleasantly full, vs. craving something sweet.

Thanks so much for the replies!

Giving it up fruit all together for 24 more days would make me very very sad ;), so would it be okay to incorporate the fruit into a main dish (as an ingredient) every so often? I'll definitely stop having it after my meals though, since I believe I'm looking at it as a dessert and consequently having cravings.

Thanks so much for the replies!

Giving it up fruit all together for 24 more days would make me very very sad ;), so would it be okay to incorporate the fruit into a main dish (as an ingredient) every so often? I'll definitely stop having it after my meals though, since I believe I'm looking at it as a dessert and consequently having cravings.

I think that is a good compromise. You might be surprised how much less you crave it after a while. Not that fresh in-season fruit is bad, but understanding why you are eating it is key. 

Archived