Not sure next step

smargol

I started whole30 28 days ago hoping it would help me figure out what foods were causing my stomach aches.  As I am 2 days away from finishing, I have yet to figure out the culprit.  I still have stomach aches.  Although I have enjoyed the past 28 days, I haven't really noticed any differences with my stomach, fatigue, energy etc.  I have not weighed myself, but none of my clothing fits me any looser.  

So... now what? I feel like whatever is causing the stomach aches is something that is whole30 compliant.  Maybe nuts? fruit? I didn't eat nuts for 3 days and didn't notice a difference.  Now I am taking fruit out.  I was so looking forward to start the reintroduction phase, but I just don't feel like I am ready. Should I continue with whole30 and try taking nuts and fruit out for a few weeks and see what happens? 

It's just frustrating how much I have put into this program with pretty much no benefit.  I am afraid to weigh myself because of how upset and disappointed I will be when I see I didn't lose any weight.  Of course I did this for my stomach pains and not to lose weight, but that was an added bonus I was looking forward to.

Any advice on what I should do?

Can you provide more details on your stomach problems? Are they all day, only after you eat, when you get up? How long have you had them? Do you have other digestive issues?  How well are you sleeping, and what are your stress levels like? Are you on any sort of medications that might be at fault, or do you have any other illnesses/diseases that could be related? Any environmental changes when this began?

The stomach pains started about 6 months ago, had never had any stomach issues before.  It's not all the time, some days are worse than others.  Sometimes it's right when I wake up, before I have eaten anything.  My stomach hangs out more, sometimes I look like I could be pregnant ( which I'm not).  There are  occasional days that go by where I feel fine and my stomach feels normal, but then I'll wake up the next day and my stomach is bloated again.

I am uncomfortable laying on my stomach, which makes me think that it's gas related.  My Gatroenterologist did some tests and came back with nothing.  He said the next step would be an endoscopy, but that most likely it's just gas.  Nothing is going on in my life that would be causing me stress... at least that I can think of. Sleeping has been the same as it's always been.  No big changes in my life that I can think could cause a sudden change in the way my stomach digests. 

Well I hope someone with more knowledge of digestive issues pops in. I went through a stomachache phase that lasted about 3 months. My doctor's initial thought was IBS, but it turned out to be from my new data entry job. Something about the way I was looking back and forth at the screen, or the way the screen was configured...I don't know for sure. It was more like a motion sickness kind of thing.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Moderators

I went back and read everything you have posted looking for clues to why you might be having the stomach aches you are having. The only serious contender in what you have reported is nuts. I saw that you stopped eating nuts for 3 days, but you need to look at stopping nuts for more like 2-4 weeks to be sure what effect they are having on you. Many people experience digestive distress with nuts. Some recognize the problem almost immediately, but it is much more subtle with others. The problem with nuts seems to involve their crunchiness. Even though you chew nuts, they can be irritating to the gut and you need to give your gut time to heal from all possible irritation before reintroducing. That is why I say give it 2-4 weeks.

Are you having regular bowel movements? Firm, loose?

Do you eat any fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha? Fermented foods are a good source of probiotics that you can get without taking a pill like Trubiotics (which comes unwanted ingredients). I eat fermented food every day, although you may need to start slow and build up to eating a few bites of fermented food every day. 

Archived