Ok, so with my last pregnancy I had gestational diabetes and was told that I had a much greater chance of developing diabetes.  I was told to lose weight and that would help.  When I was pregnant I followed a low glycemic diet, my fasting blood sugar was always around 73, And I never went over 140 for post meals.  I was able to control everything with diet alone, without insulin.

Since my pregnancy I have randomly checked my blood sugar.  It's always normal.  Not diabetic, not prediabetic.  Just normal.  Fasting, post meals, everything.

So, I did my whole 30.  Throught I checked my blood sugar.  Fasting was consistent with pre whole 30.  Post meals were low, which I expected with the carb count being low.  I retinroed non glutonous grains, they were up slightly, but still normal.  Today I reintroduced wheat.  At lunch I had two slices of sourdough and my sugars were higher than they have ever been.  200 for my one hour.   

So, I did some research.....

is it that my body has been using my fat stores for glucose?  And they haven't had to use insulin, and the higher than usual carb count shot it through the roof?   I thought a paleo-esque diet should help my blood glucose, not make it worse?  

so the fact that even when I had gestational diabetes and it had no effect on my blood sugar, reintroducing it post whole 30 would push me into diabetic numbers?  Gee, kinda wish I hadn't done this Whole30 if that's the case.

whole30 is not a ketogenic diet, not even close, so I'm not seeing any correlation with the blog you link. setting that aside:

There are a variety of reasons your body might react more dramatically to bread after not having it over a period of a month, but I don't have any reason to believe such changes would be permanent. If you feel better eating the whole30 way, I would encourage you to do so. If you don't feel differently eating this way, and want to eat a bunch of bread, do so regularly and I expect you will return right back to where you were before the whole30 began; your body will get used to eating simple carbs and insulin response will go back to "normal". Other things, like inflammation, allergies, etc. will go back to normal too. Any weight you lost will easily be regained and it will be almost as if you had never done the whole30 at all. Although many people wish they could make changes in how they eat for 30 days that have impacts for the long term, for better or worse it is what we do over the long term that really makes a difference.

In doing the whole 30 I wasn't prepared to spend the rest of my life paleo.  I have been losing weight and there are some benefits. I was hoping to reintroduce things at least on occasion.  I really do not like this style of eating.  In the past a low glycemic diet worked at keeping my blood sugar low.  That doesn't look like a possibility now.  

Guest Andria

So, what was different from the low glycemic diet you followed previously and the Whole30 (essentially a low glycemic - NOT a low carb nor a  ketogenic- diet)? If you are concerned about managing your blood sugar and your previous low glycemic diet was effective, as you say, in keeping your blood sugars in check, then I don't understand why you want to eat wheat products.  Wheat is not a low glycemic food. If you are eating wheat then you are not really following a low glycemic diet. Maybe I am misunderstanding what it is you are wanting to do/achieve with your diet.

the previous diet was about pairing foods.  If I ate protein with the wheat, it was fine.  Like, some cheese and triscuits, no rise in BG.  um, eggs and toast, fine.  or an apple and pb (yes I know thats not wheat).  It wasn't a low carb diet, but the protein and fat would outweigh the carbs and my sugar was fine.  This number was higher than my diagnosis number.  I even expected a rise in my sugar from wheat.  But I was blown away that it was higher than any number I have ever had.  

the previous diet was about pairing foods.  If I ate protein with the wheat, it was fine.  Like, some cheese and triscuits, no rise in BG.  um, eggs and toast, fine.  or an apple and pb (yes I know thats not wheat).  It wasn't a low carb diet, but the protein and fat would outweigh the carbs and my sugar was fine.  This number was higher than my diagnosis number.  I even expected a rise in my sugar from wheat.  But I was blown away that it was higher than any number I have ever had.  

Have you retested with a slice of toast with an egg on, to see if that still has an unexpectedly large spike?

But as Mary said, if you go back to consistently eating the same as before, your numbers would most likely return to where they were before, for the same food groups.

Guest Andria

I understand what you are saying. Definitely protein and fat consumed with carbs will control your blood sugar rise - this is what the Whole30 wants you to do as well..  It sounds like you would like to go back to eating bread and similar things, since you said you do not like eating the Whole30 way.  

You said: "I thought a paleo-esque diet would help my blood glucose, not make it worse." The paleo diet DID help your blood sugars and it wasn't until you added back bread(decidedly un-paleo) that you had the problems.  So I agree with Tom, it sounds like bread is not your friend.  But with time, if you want to keep it in your diet your blood sugars could stabilize as your basal insulin levels come back up (healthier to have low basal insulin levels, however).

So as long as I eat kale with a side of kale for the rest of my life, I'm good.  If I ever want to have a cheat day, I'm screwed.  Basically.

Paleo didn't help my blood sugars, because they were normal before I started.  Yes, eating a a serving of kale, chicken, and sweet potato didn't spike it.  But either did many carby non paleo friendly foods before.  Including bread.  

Like I said, I'm not shocked it spiked it.  Just shocked that it went that high.  

Archived