Where is my energy at the end of whole30?

I'm coming towards the end of my first whole30 (day 26) and have NO energy!

Week 1 I felt pretty normal, week 2 i felt great and had so much energy but then it's all gone down hill. For the past 7 days I have felt so tired and achey it's like the feeling you have just before you get sick. My workouts have never been this bad, I've tried to workout twice this week and have felt so lightheaded, dizzy and sick that i've had to stop. 

I ate pretty much primal before whole30 with dairy and oats, plus weekend anything-goes sessions. On whole30 i have significantly increased the fat and calories I have been eating compared to before (i'm not trying to loose weight).

In the past week i've tried to increase carbs, although in the past before whole30 I tried going very low carb and had none of these issues.

Here's a sample of what i'm eating:

Meal 1 - 3 eggs, 2 handfuls of veg such as peppers, mushroom, spinach, tomato etc plus olives

Meal 2- 2 chicken breasts, 2 large handfuls of veg, 1 fairly small avocado, olives, most days an apple or banana 

Meal 3 - either a fatty meat such as steak in coconut oil or chicken + another fat such as coconut milk, around 2 large handfuls of veg such as carrots and courgette, 1 small sweet potato.

+ around 4 -6 litres of water 

I get around minimum 7 and a half hours of brilliant sleep but try for up to 9. 

Any ideas what's going on? I love the other effects of the whole30 (amazing sleep, better digestion, never hungry etc) and want to carry on after the 30 days but need some energy!

• Moderators

What she said.

You might eat a bit more starchy veggies, but given your history of low carb eating while maintaining performance, I understand that you could expect to do well without it. I too am in a place where I train five days per week and don't always eat starchy veggies, but still have plenty of energy. That said, what you are eating looks good.

Food really can't explain every thing that happens with us. It would be nice if we had such control of our lives, but there are other forces at work. :) Hopefully things will improve soon. 

Archived