Alternative to Chicken Eggs?

KathyV

If someone has a sensitivity/allergy to chicken eggs, can they have Duck or Goose eggs instead?  Or, is an egg an egg regardless of where it came from.

Has anyone tried Duck or Goose eggs and is there any difference in taste and nutritional profile?  I saw Duck eggs at our Farmers Market and wanted to buy, but was kinda grossed-out about it.  So I thought I would come to you guys for info on this,

Any info is always appreciated

Kathy

Some people with chicken egg sensitivity do tolerate Duck eggs, so it is worth a try. I find them to have a stronger flavor (kind of like the difference between lamb and beef), but not bad. I would try them and see what you think.

One other option to investigate: if the egg sensitivity is not severe, you might try getting pastured eggs from a farmer where you know they are not feeding soy-based feed. Sometimes the feed given to conventional chickens is the issue, so eliminating that factor might help.

Generally, duck eggs are larger (depending on the breed, of course), have a slightly tougher shell and tend to have more yolk and less white per egg than a chicken egg.  We used to have our own ducks and chickens and I preferred the chicken eggs for eating.  Duck eggs were just a little too rich for my tastes.

I can't speak to the allergy thing as I don't (luckily) have an egg issue.

thanks missary and GLC1968 for your feedbacks.  I will try the duck eggs when I go back to the farmers market...kinda excited to give them a try.  I will look for a local farmer on the chicken eggs too.

I don't know if I have a true allergy w/eggs, but I do notice my nose seems to run when I eat too many of them, but the eggs in my mayo seem to do ok.

I love how the Whole30 make us more aware of how food really does effect you.

Kathy

Vian,  Loved the article,  I will see how I do with just having eggs only in recipes, and maybe a couple of them once a week for breakfast, and see if that helps, otherwise, I will try the elimination.

Archived