July 1st Start date

pam21e

Hello, looks like everyone is doing great. Not sure how to answer the cod liver question. Maybe one of the moderators will address that. As far as I understand there isn't any measurement of calories, etc during the whole 30, and fat is not a bad thing. It is what helps us stay satiated. 

I already feel so much better, I am not sure if it is because I had stayed compliant from May thru December, but I am not having headaches or anything adverse since restarting. The one thing I definitely think was affecting me negatively was all the fat-free hazelnut creamer I was using. Not that I was using alot in each cup, it was I was drinking SO many cups of coffee every day.

Since giving it up, I am drinking lots of water. One thing I need to get at the grocery store is Kombucha, I always check the label making sure it is compliant. It can be an acquired drink, but I really love it. 

All my meals have been very filling and I have not had any cravings. July 3rd is just about in the books! Every day will get better and easier! 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today went great!  Still craving gum :)

Today's menu:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, sweet potato hash, strawberries with unsweetened shredded coconut flakes (that was super delish!)

Lunch: Chicken salad with homemade mayo and sliced grapes, 3 medium carrots

Dinner: 2 eggs scrambled with peppers and onion, 1/2 a sweet potato chopped and sauteed in ghee, broccoli, one chicken sausage.

How is everyone going so far??I am really enjoying it) sooooo much tasty food-that's my yesterdays dinner for example( beef steak+ mushrooms + marrow  with garlic and onions and tomato-dill salad with olive oil and vinegar). Well, I could not finish it actually))The only thing I probably should try doing is to move from fried stuff for dinners and steam more) How large are your portions???? my portions seem to be quite large but I work out 4 times a week too... not sure if that's an excuse though))

10446470_10203456132377042_3772305154476

Hello, looks like everyone is doing great. Not sure how to answer the cod liver question. Maybe one of the moderators will address that. As far as I understand there isn't any measurement of calories, etc during the whole 30, and fat is not a bad thing. It is what helps us stay satiated. 

No probs, pam21e. I reposted in the "Foods" section and got an answer from Tom.

As I already pointed out, I'm no way afraid of fat or calories (I've always been a skinny twig and wouldn't mind bulking up a bit actually *lol*). I was just wondering if I should count it as fat instead of protein because in that case I'd need to add another protein source to make a proper meal according to the template. :)

Today went great!  Still craving gum :)

Today's menu:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, sweet potato hash, strawberries with unsweetened shredded coconut flakes (that was super delish!)

Lunch: Chicken salad with homemade mayo and sliced grapes, 3 medium carrots

Dinner: 2 eggs scrambled with peppers and onion, 1/2 a sweet potato chopped and sauteed in ghee, broccoli, one chicken sausage.

Arrrgh. The gum, right? Years of habit reinforcement are doing its thing. ^^ It's both the nice minty fresh taste in my mouth and the chewing (and - when nobody's looking - blowing bubbles, hehe) itself that I'm missing. Still have to pull myself together SO HARD whenever I'm in a supermarket... Tschakkaaa! We can do it!

I'm not a mod but I think your meals have room for more yummy veggie matter. ;)

How is everyone going so far??I am really enjoying it) sooooo much tasty food-that's my yesterdays dinner for example( beef steak+ mushrooms + marrow  with garlic and onions and tomato-dill salad with olive oil and vinegar). Well, I could not finish it actually))The only thing I probably should try doing is to move from fried stuff for dinners and steam more) How large are your portions???? my portions seem to be quite large but I work out 4 times a week too... not sure if that's an excuse though))

That serving seems like the amount I would eat on average. Maybe my meals are a bit larger. Definitely a lot larger on a workout day. And as I mentioned above: I'm tiny (both in height and width ;D) plus I have a desk job. So, no, I DON'T think you're eating a lot/too much.

Btw: It's getting easier for me to eat more the better my digestion gets. I had really bad digestion and food would sit SO long in my stomach. I've been using digestive enzymes which have helped a lot (started with 5 per meal, now I have 1, especially if it's "tougher" stuff/meat).

Also: YES to fried stuff! COCONUT-fried stuff!! Nomnomnomnom. :D

I do miss chewing gum too!!! I don't like coconut oil so I am using an extra- virgin olive oil .

seems like everyone eat a lot of eggs))I tend to have 2 eggs a day too! any other suggestions for breakfast?)

@ Pebbles: More veggies :)  I'm not sure if I can eat anymore!  That sounds so funny doesn't it!  By the end of each meal I am full, but each meal lasts until the next so I haven't snacked at all.  I have been noticing though that at night I will wake up around 2-3am and am so hungry.  Is that normal?  When I wake up in the morning that hunger feeling is gone and I typically have breakfast with in 30 minutes of waking up.

Here is how today went:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, left over sweet potato hash, 1/4 avacado and broccoli

Lunch: Tuna with homemade mayo and sliced grape tomatoes, carrots and strawberries- this is so yummy and probably one of my favorite meals!

Dinner: 2 chicken sausages, cauliflower, 1/2 an avacado and watermelon

Not bad for a 4th of July Holiday. 

I must say, I am pretty proud of myself for not snacking and staying 100% compliant during these 4 days.  In the past I think I have used "snacking" as an excuse to eat another mini meal!

I do miss chewing gum too!!! I don't like coconut oil so I am using an extra- virgin olive oil .

seems like everyone eat a lot of eggs))I tend to have 2 eggs a day too! any other suggestions for breakfast?)

Start by calling it Meal 1 instead of breakfast and that opens up lots of possibilities.

Non egg breakfasts have been discussed a lot on the forum previously. From Google, if you type Whole30 non-egg breakfasts, you'll get links to the discussion threads.

That looks pretty typical for me...here's today's brunch:

post-1961-0-61653600-1404587374_thumb.jp

Day 5 is almost done!

Breakfast: 3 eggs, broccoli, 1/4 avocado and strawberries

Lunch: 2 chicken sausages and watermelon

Dinner: Shredded chicken with homemade mayo, red onions and sliced grapes.  Also had carrots and cherries.

Went for a 20 mile bike ride today.  It really threw my lunch off as the ride wasn't planned.  I quick cooked up a couple chicken sausages and some watermelon to take with but I know that wasn't ideal. I am headed to the grocery store tomorrow morning and didn't have any veggies that I could have packed, everything was frozen.  I definitely need to start thinking about things I can make ahead and have frozen for situations like this. 

I did feel great during and after the ride (minus my sore knees) and had dinner when I got home. What types of things do you keep in the house for emergencies, when you know you won't be able to get a proper meal?

I think there must be something about that time of day! I actually went to Crossfit at 9 this morning, then the farmers market and grocery store, then came home and had my favorite lunch (breakfast, lol). I was getting ready to start chopping vegetables, I think, which I really hate doing but like to get done on Saturday so Sunday's cook up is easier. 2:30 just seems to be a slump time for me - my exercise adrenalin has worn off but the day isn't over yet.

I made it, though, by taking out my "Made To Crave" ebook and reading, and writing things here...that always helps.

So day 3 has passed and all is ok so far. Tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday I anticipate challenges, since I will be heading home but my husband is staying here at our rental to be with his son. I think I will just stay at the box until it closes, LOL...though Tuesday I have a massage scheduled...and I've earned it after two six mile runs in two weeks!

Thank you so much for the reply - it helps tremendously to know I'm not alone...

Hey peeps, how's everyone doing?

@LindaLee: Hope you're feeling better. Massage sure sounds like something to look forward to! 

Little food successes of the day (well, yesterday):

* Found "super clean" / compliant locally-made kimchi in an Asia shop! (KIMCHIII! Nomnomnom!)

* Accidentally made (überdelicious) coconut butter.

I just had a huge, yummy breakfast/brunch and I'm enjoying my coconut coffee right now. Time to get ready for derby practice! <3

Peebles - how did you accidentally make coconut butter?? Lol.

Magicks!! xD

Nah,  bought a coconut but was worried that I probably can't eat the whole thing before it goes rancid (without getting sick of it). So I decided to make coconut milk by throwing about 2/3 of the flesh into my highspeed blender with some water. Blended like crazy and filtered the remaining tough particles out with a "nutmilk bag". When I got back to my jar full of "coconut milk" the next morning, the creamy, fatty stuff had totally separated to the top. I scooped it off in an extra jar - voila! Pure yummy coconut butter goodness! And the "watery rest" is like very diluted coconut milk/drink - refreshing and a nice addition to my coffee. :)

So yeah. That's the tale of my happy little coconut accident. ;D

So glad that everyone does well!

@ LindaLee- I did have bit of depression too ...or more like - omg it's Saturday and I usually indulge with wine and some other unhealthy stuff ... And it's still so long to go - I want that cupcake:))) but to be honest I already feel so much better- no headaches, no upset tummy . It seems this stuff works ) even if I don't lose weight I am still happy I am doing it!

Whoo hoo Day 6!  Another long bike ride, but had lunch first :) 

Breakfast: 3 eggs, green beans, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato

Lunch: Shredded chicken, homemade mayo, carrots

Dinner: Homemade beef sausage, 3 eggs, broccoli

The homemade beef sausage is amazing.  Here is the recipe:http://onceamonthmeals.com/homemade-beef-sausage/

I am going to make a few more of her recipes tomorrow morning :)

One thing I have noticed during the past two nights is how good I have slept.  Not sure if it is because of the long bike rides or just the change in diet.  Either way I am loving not waking up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom!

Day 5 for me! Made it through a truly wretched day yesterday and all I can say is Praise The Lord!!! Because that's what got me thru...with you guys acting as his angels, of course. :)

10:40 and I am starving...I think this is because of yesterday, though, since I didn't eat three good meals. Slamming down water and soldiering on...

Day 5 for me! Made it through a truly wretched day yesterday and all I can say is Praise The Lord!!! Because that's what got me thru...with you guys acting as his angels, of course. :)

10:40 and I am starving...I think this is because of yesterday, though, since I didn't eat three good meals. Slamming down water and soldiering on...

Glad you made it through!  I haven't had a difficult day yet but I'm sure it will come.  I have a dinner meeting next week and a 4 day conference at the end of the month.  I'm already starting to think about what I can do to make sure I stick to the plan!

Day 7 went well!

Another long bike ride.  My hubby has had off work since last Thursday so it has been wonderful going biking with him each day.

Breakfast: 2 egg/sausage/broccoli "muffins"- not sure what to call them but I made them in a muffin tray! I also had green beans and 1/4 avocado to go with them.

Lunch:  Tuna and homemade mayo along with carrots

Dinner: 1/2 an avocado, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.  I also made homemade chicken burgers- these were amazing! I had one burger.

Last night was another awesome night of sleep. 

Hope you all had a fabulous day!  Make sure to share any yummy new recipes you have tried!

@Maria Pal: I had some coconut-fried plantains yesterday as a side at dinner - and almost couldn't eat them. They were SO SWEET (I let them get way too ripe)! Very intense. So, if you're looking for sweet "comfort food"... (not suggesting you should comfort yourself with food of course,... you know what I mean. ;) )

Fresh coconut meat is kinda sweet too (and yummy). Or baked pumpkin or carrots? :)

This too shall pass. You can do it! <3

Archived