3 meals on a short day

It was Saturday and I have finally managed to make up for my sleep deprivation during the week and made it till noon! So, my breakfast was around 1 p.m. Later I went to a party where they served the food at around 6:30 p.m. (I thought it will happen much sooner, around 5 and that later we will have dinner somewhere) . The buffet was totally whole 30 compliant and I managed to have a good meal according to the programme template.  I came home only at midnight and wasn't sure what shall I do - whether I should eat or not. I still decided to have a meal (though not hungry at all)- some leftover grilled sea bass fillet, 1/2 avocado and some lightly cooked zucchini. I went to bed around 1 a.m.  - the night was a total disaster, since I couldn't properly fall asleep. I usually have my diner at 7, which is 5 hours before I go to bed. 

I understand that I should aim for days with a normal routine - and I am 95% that person, but still, there are some exceptions, especially in Summer, when everyone is celebrating something. What shall I do if I ever stumble upon a situation like this during my whole30 journey - shall I include the 3rd meal by all means?

In the situation you described, if you were hungry when you get home, eat.  Otherwise, go to bed.  :)

Longer term, work on getting closer to 8 hours of sleep nightly, so you're not sleep deprived during the week. 

Thank you for your reply. I would never eat in a situation like this if I wasn't on the program - I just was too scared it would be cheating, so I forced myself. 

Re: sleep

Yes, I realize I should go to bed 1 hour earlier each day to get my 8 hours - I am trying. 

I woke up with a very similar question!  But wasn't sure what category to post it in until I saw this.  lol

Sometimes I'll sleep too late and need to get to work within three or four hours.  Is it better to cram in two small meals before work (then one at work around six or seven in the evening), or have one large meal before work and one large meal at work?

I woke up with a very similar question!  But wasn't sure what category to post it in until I saw this.  lol

Sometimes I'll sleep too late and need to get to work within three or four hours.  Is it better to cram in two small meals before work (then one at work around six or seven in the evening), or have one large meal before work and one large meal at work?

I would recommend sticking to at least the lower end of the meal template and eating every 4-5 hours and generally stop eating 2 hours before bed. If this mean missing a meal and you are not hungry before bed than like Chris said don't stress it. Eating the template portions and leaving proper time for hormone regulation and digestion is more important than cramming 3 meals into a shortened day. And again as Chris said try to focus on getting about 8-9 hours of sleep a night. 

Archived