Extreme bloating

I am on Day 13 and cannot get rid of this awful bloating. It started almost immediately after starting the program and has persisted day and night. It doesn't seem to be affected by what I eat really, but my stomach is constantly making noise and I look 6 months pregnant! I am going to the bathroom regularly and drinking plenty of water. I have taken charcoal a couple times which helps temporarily but it comes right back. A typical days eating is egg and veggies for breakfast with coffee with coconut milk, meat or tuna with veggies or salad for lunch, fruit and/or veggies for snacks, and meat/fish for dinner with veggies and fruit. Has anyone ever experienced this???

Have you tried leaving away the fruit? I do fine with fruit on an empty stomach (NOT Whole30, obviously!) but it gives me major tummy trouble and bloating if I mix it with anything else which takes longer to digest. Maybe you could try replacing all your fruit with (easy to digest) veggies? Fruit is optional on a Whole30, not required (I know it's tasty, too tasty. I knowww... ;) )

• Moderators

Several thoughts... if you have increased your meat consumption meaningfully, you may need digestive enzymes to help you break it down efficiently. You might want to review this article: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Raw veggies and fruit can be more difficult to digest, so you might want to emphasize cooked veggies and see if that helps.

Veggies can cause bloat, no doubt about it.  But the coconut milk stands out to me, as well.  It took me awhile to realize last year that coconut milk in my coffee was causing me digestive distress.  SO not worth it.  I now drink it black, no problem.  

My husband and I have been taking Absorb Aid digestive enzymes for years (and years).  Can't say enough good things about them.  They do help digest your food and therefore nutrients are better absorbed, as well.  But in my experience, there is no amount of enzymes that will allow me to continue to eat foods that are real problem foods for me.  Those have to be pinpointed and eliminated.  Good luck!

Archived