Am I still on the Whole30 with Restaurant food?

Lulubelle

Well....we made it to day 13! However.... I'm at a family reunion and went to dinner last night, ordered grilled salmon, butternut squash, and for breakfast-scrambled eggs, bacon and fruit. I ordered well but can't help thinking I've ruined the Whole30 because of not knowing what they cooked everything in, and that the meat isn't fresh or cooked in bad oil.

Can I just be ok with what I ordered (the best of bad choices), .....or am I doomed????

Some of my admittedly tough love thoughts on this. 

- I can almost guarantee that the bacon was not compliant (it's tricky to get compliant bacon without sugar, sweetener, or other nasties in a restaurant).  

- Many restaurants use soybean oil or an olive/soybean oil blend in their cooking, so there's a chance your food was cooked in that, and/or butter.  

- Scrambled eggs may also have contained milk or butter.  

Could you call the restaurant to find out the answers to these questions?

Whether your Whole30 is doomed, the general rules are if you eat something off-plan, you begin again at day 1. Take a look at this article for further details and context: http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Does that also mean omelets will have pancake batter in them?  I've never heard this before!  I may never go out to eat again if that's the case - at least for the whole30's I do.  Who can you trust?  Yikes!  

Does that also mean omelets will have pancake batter in them?  I've never heard this before!  I may never go out to eat again if that's the case - at least for the whole30's I do.  Who can you trust?  Yikes!  

iHop uses pancake batter in their omelets (it says it right on their menu last time I was there, which was a LONG time ago).  Always ask before ordering, whether any ingredients you want to avoid are used in batter, cooking oils, etc. 

Thanks for the replies.  I do know to ask for what I want at restaurants (usually), but had never heard of putting pancake batter in the eggs.  I read labels all the time.  Now I will have to get more "aggressive" at restaurants too.  

Archived