Chat with a PhD student about your experiences?

Hi everyone!

My name is Andrew Miller and I'm a PhD student at Georgia Tech studying how people use technology to support clean and whole eating practices. I've personally been doing a green smoothies challenge, and I'm interested to hear your experiences with Whole30. I'm super interested in talking to people who have done more than one Whole30 challenge.

If you have 30-40 minutes to chat about your experiences with Whole30 and how you use social media to eat better, I'd be grateful!

Leave a comment, send me a message or fill out the form linked below and I'll be in touch to set up our chat.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Andrew Miller

Georgia Tech

http://tinyurl.com/cleaneatingstudy

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update you all about this. I did talk to Andrew about his study. He's super nice, very easy to talk to, and i think i convinced him to do a W30! If you could spare a little bit of time, help him out!

And Andrew, the offer still stands for me to send you a copy of ISWF ;)

Did you read the book, Andrew?  Older and New one would be a good place to start.  It would answer most of your questions.   

The  "Book" has already been written and the half has not been told that there are 1000's of guests who are reading the blogs everyday.  For me, my anonymity is amity with the entire world.

Thanks MeadowLily! Looks like the new edition was just released days ago! I'll go ahead and buy a copy.

I'd also like to share a few words about why I might want to talk to people rather than just read the book... I'm interested in real stories of how people have integrated periodic diet practices into their lives, and the role (if any!) that technology has played in that process. I'm certainly interested in the 'offical' Whole30 perspective, but I also want to hear how it works out in your lived experience!

Andrew, that's quite a combo.  Technology has never entered my mind when it comes to "dieting".   The only thing that would come close are all of the handy dandy home exercise equipment items I've bought.

Most of them I've given to the goodwill or neighbors.  I couldn't wait to get all of that crappola out of my house.  I won't buy another hunk of junk again.  They were expensive coat hangers or something to lounge on while I watched the news.    

I've learned that I only enjoy activities that I can do the minute I walk out my front door. That's my "lived experience".   Winter, Summer, Spring or Fall....I can't go out in -30 below zero weather but I refuse to run around on a gerbil wheel.  Simplicity.     I'm fortunate that I don't have a commute.  I know if I had to drive an hour to the gym and back home again, I'd waste my membership.  

I've not been a periodic dieter.  I let it all creep up on me over time.  I'm not going to become a periodic dieter, either.   This is a reset.

If you'll read the book and these blogs....you will clearly see that these are not diet forums.  

I do see other things and you will, too.    I see hurting people.  People who've been kicked to the curb during their lifetime because of their battles with the scale..and society's 'norms'.   There are those who don't feel well because of health problems.  There are athletes and marathoners....and a rare few take exercise to an extreme.    But everyone's trying to find their balance, Andrew.....trying to get back on an even keel.

I know I want some peace where nutrition is concerned for the rest of my life and not hit or miss... periodically.

I'm living abroad but would be able to answer questions by email if that's okay. Otherwise, good luck finding people to interview for your project!

Meadowlily - he needs interviews for his school project to get his PhD, so it's not about the forum or doing a Whole 30; he's doing research about how people tend to use technology to help with cleanses/diet challenges or nutritional resets like the Whole 30.

I know and with the kindest of intentions....I feel the "Book" has already been written for a million research papers.  The blogs and responses reveal everything you'd need for research.  I research and comb through as many as I can in my spare time.

In the middle of the night when I hear loud noises outside...grizzly or something, I stay up and read them all.  I'm absorbing the knowledge like a sponge.

The best place would be the books and then the blogs.   If he would spend 60 days reading...there's still so much more to learn.    A good researcher does just that....start with the skeleton and then work your way up to the outer layers or pressing the flesh so to speak.  Public interviews.

Absorb the books and blogs, that's your basic cornerstone and foundation.

"Thanks MeadowLily! Looks like the new edition was just released days ago! I'll go ahead and buy a copy."

That's the ticket and then "I'll be your Huckleberry".    :) 

ValKilmerDoc8x103tombstone001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew...interested in real stories of how people have integrated periodic diet practices into their lives, and the role (if any!) that technology has played in that process. 

Andrew, I couldn't resist.  I found this today.

Oh, on second thought I deleted it.   How's the paper coming?  Did you read your book?

(It was a quote by Albert Einstein on technology).

Archived