Can I have Saba?

Mark Hargreaves

Hi!

I'm looking at eating out with a friend I get to see maybe once a year and looking at a fairy nice Italian restaurant. They have an appetizer that is drizzed in saba (an ingredient completely new to me). The internet tells me it's grape must, slowly cooked down into a syrup which allows the sugars to caramelize.

Obviously this is not something to be consumed in excess, but as a drizzle over a salad, it seems like it would be compliant as long as no sugars are added or sulfites used to preserve it (though it will obviously have natural sulfites from the grapes). I've emailed the restaurant to verify that neither of these are true.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-saba.htm

Am I thinking correctly on this?

Thank you!

Mark

Yeah I have this bottle of stuff called "Orchard Syrup" that is basically boiled down/concentrated apple juice which is a bit along the same lines but I wouldn't use it during W30, same as pomegranate molasses I guess.

Well, drat. I was mostly excited to try something new, which is the fun of trying out a nicer restaurant like this.Ah well. Saba and balsamic vinegar are kissing cousins flavor wise, I suspect it'll be an easy substitution. And more reason to go back later on!

Thank you!

Archived