Advice for Crossfit beginner

DianeV14

Thanks for your support everyone.

I must give credit to the box I went to. I wrote to them letting them know what went down and said that under the circumstances I felt that my physical safety was compromised, not to mention feeling humiliated, and I'd like a full refund. 

I got a prompt, heartfelt, and appropriate response from the manager agreeing with me that the coach acted inappropriately, apologizing, and issuing the refund as requested.  

Onward and upward. 

I've been crossfitting for 18 months & agree with most of what's been said already!

It's very dependant on the box you go to - I'm incredibly lucky that my local affiliate is one of the best around with a great vibe & awesome coaches. I always feel encouraged but not pushed beyond my abilities, it's a slow progression but it feels great when you're finally able to do something that previously was impossible - 2 months ago I finally got unassisted pull-ups!!

You also need to accept that some movements are difficult - I have pretty much given up on double unders (though don't tell my trainers that) - for a while they almost had me in tears - taught me a lesson in perspective ;)

Ultimately you should be enjoying it or there's no point, yep some workouts suck but it always feels awesome when it's over! Also, know that you have to advocate for yourself, as skilled as my coaches are they don't know what I'm feeling in my body - something doesn't feel right on the day I say no & they accept it!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the article link..."Common wisdom seems to dictate that it’s not enough to look good and feel good if you’re not prepared to lift a Mini Cooper off an injured stranger." Hah!

I don't think CrossFit is for everyone. I have no desire to compete with anyone but myself, and I'm certain that working out in an environment like that would just make me feel intimidated and inadequate. Plus, it's ridiculously expensive in my opinion. I realize a lot of people have good experiences there, and they are encouraging you to keep trying (@Deb), but really...why? There are all kinds of options out there for you. Maybe you can just find a good gym in your area, work out with a trainer a few times to get you started, and then build up your strength at your own pace. Or even invest in some good DVDs until you're at a level of fitness where you feel more comfortable trying something like CrossFit.

Hey Deb,

I'm a Crossfit Coach and first of all, let me sincerely apologize for that coach/box. There's NO WAY you should have been made to feel any of those things. At a good box you should feel just as safe and welcome as you are in your own home--those coaches clearly have a more elite mindset and that box is simply not the one for you.

I encourage you to reach out to other boxes in the area and observe their Basics/OnRamp classes so that you make sure you like the coach before you sign on. At our box we have a Women's Only class that's geared toward those with zero weightlifting or exercising backgrounds and have had great success in both weight loss and confidence. We had a woman in our class that just passed the 77 pounds lost mark and is still going strong. She credits Crossfit with saving her life and helping her regain the ability to be a part of her children's lives. 

Since those other coaches did you a disservice, let me tell you what they should have told you:

Let me congratulate you for walking through this door. From this moment on, you are part of the Crossfit Community and will never be alone in your fitness struggles and successes. Fair warning, your body will hurt. You will wake up in the morning and wonder what in the world you've gotten yourself into. But that feeling will pass. I promise. Just keep showing up.

Every workout can be modified. Don't ever make the mistake of looking at a WOD and thinking you can't do it or that it's too hard because every single movement can be modified and scaled down until it's possible. There are NO exceptions to this rule. The woman I mentioned above couldn't run 200 m when she started and that's ok. But get this... last week (6 months into her Crossfit and fitness journey) she ran a 5k without stopping. She is a woman warrior and I have been blessed to witness her transformation. You can do this. So many women are behind you.

Last but not least, there are only a few things we (a good box) will require of you.

1. Show up. Be consistent. Choose a work to rest day ratio and stick to it. On those days that you don't feel like going to the gym, do the following: Get in your car. Drive to the gym. Walk in. Your coaches will psych you up.

2. Check your ego at the door. If a coach corrects you, let them, and learn from it. (I don't think this will be a problem for you!)

3. Give each day your full effort. Some days, that means crawling. Some days it means sprinting and hollering at the top of your lungs. Whatever kind of day it is for you, be satisfied that you tried your hardest. 

I hope you don't give up, Deb, because trust me when I say you just bit into a bad apple. There are tons of communities out there that would welcome you with open arms. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks for al of the replies to this thread I started in August.  I started Crossfit and stuck with it for one month.  The box I attended was very supportive and made many modifications for me.  I still found it very hard.  I do see the benefit of doing Crossfit.  But for me, it may be after I lost some weight and build stamina.

Started my W30 on January 1 and will be doing an at home Zumba DVD and waling for now !

• 2 weeks later...

I love Crossfit and my local box is great. Pricing is crazy high however and so I joined our local community center for much less and have found that more and more group classes incorporate crossfit moves. The community center also has a wide range of members and I never feel out of place. I also make sure I get outside daily and when the weather is good you can find me at our local park doing air squats, pull ups and hopping on park benches! I like my fitness to be fun!

Archived