Serious Discussion about Stopping

Well, the hubs and I had our first serious talk about stopping the whole 30 (we're on day 12).  A week ago, he had a med change for his depression, and the transition is NOT going well. Combine that with foods you're now sick of, and nausea that's either caused by the plan or the meds, and its getting really hard to get any food down.

We're going to keep talking about this for the next day or so, but I'm trying to get ideas about how to make the food more interesting.  I'm fine with dinners (well, not tonight because its 103 and I did NOT want to cook), but leftovers for breakfast and lunch are getting really old.  And those two meals are a challenge because they need to be portable.

But even then, I'm not sure that would help - eating is one of his coping mechanisms for his depression, so taking that away from him during this med change could be a really bad idea.

Any thoughts?

Can you make something just for lunch or breakfast but make a bunch for a few days? I mean, not having leftover dinner everyday but still have another option. Like chicken, tuna or egg salad with greens, quiche or egg muffins, soup (maybe not with the weather). Just mixing things up could help. Also, this could be just another phase and may only last a few more days. So, you might find that in a few more days things will look better. It's a tough call, you can only take it day by day and see how he is feeling. Don't beat yourself up about it. If you decide to stop, you'll know it was a well thought out desicion and W30 will still be here when he is ready again.

• Moderators

Most people who quit, quit on day 10 or 11, so you are on pace with how many people feel without the complication of med changes. See the Whole30 Timeline if you haven't before: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I've never understood food boredom because there are so many different foods to try and ways to cook all those foods. I published over 400 on my recipe blog before I got tired of writing them down. I have literally tried another 100 things since I stopped posting, but you can't exhaust even my recipes during one Whole30, let alone all the recipes others have posted. See my link below.

My husband and I are poster children for processed foods and eating out. breads and rice were a major part of our diet. So I think the food boredom comes from resetting our taste buds. Like for example, yes I know there are dozens of healthy ideas for breakfast, but damn, i was seriously craving a bowl of Quaker Granola and Skim Milk!

Also, portability of meals is an issue. Our favorite meals our dinners, because they're fresh. But reheating gets old after awhile, because its never as good the second time around.

Thanks for the reminder about the timeline - we did read it, and then promptly forgot about it!

I'm just curious, but why would you need to stop the Whole30 too? I realize it's tough to power through when your partner stops, but he's the one with a medication change, right? I think finding new recipes you can both get excited about might be just what's needed.

Best of luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's easy to over-complicate meal planning and prep. I tend toward lazy in the kitchen, so I try to keep it simple. And it's just the two of us, so that helps.

I make at least one large breakfast casserole every week. I can eat it cold or hot. It has meat, eggs, onions, peppers, kale, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and whatever seasoning that goes with the meat. It's good for breakfast or lunch.

I also make big batches of meatballs (Well Fed2) and freeze them in 1 to 2 serving containers. They're good with or without sauce, hot or cold, any meal. Heated in Marinara sauce and over spaghetti squash...Paleo comfort food.

Chicken tenderloins cook up quickly for dinner, and I usually make extra, to take to work for lunch, with a big salad and homemade dressing.

Having a variety of spice/seasoning mixes is a big help, too. Well Fed and NomNom Paleo have given me plenty of fresh ideas to keep simple foods interesting.

Good luck!

Archived