Day 21...and I'm out! :-(

Ugh.  Just gotta out it and be transparent...

The past 4-5 days been having a harder time...and last night and this morning it was so weird, but I was just so scared. For no reason at all. I have a feeling I need more carbs - not really eating any carb-y veggies at all.  I have a HUGE fear of flying and I always drink a glass or two of wine - I'm flying across the country tonight and absolutely wasn't going to drink wine (so I guess there is the fear that I was feeling!)

Anyway, I caved, I had potato chips...also realized that a supplement I'd take a few times had malodextrin in it. I have no intention of going crazy today (though I might have a glass of wine!) and have every intention of starting Day 1 tomorrow!  

I'll keep you posted!

I ate pizza yesterday. Day 21 :'( I'm so upset but I didn't plan well enough and went to the lake with intentions of being home for dinner but was overly hungry on the way home and couldn't afford to eat out and my brother in law offered to buy a pizza and I caved :'( my birthday is this weekend and I just have too much coming up to start over right away. As it looks now I won't be able to start over until September 1 :'(

I only made it to day 11. Went out of town unprepared and maybe sabotaged it a bit so I can have an excuse to have wine on my birthday this weekend. My husband offered to try it with me September 1 so that will be nice to have his support. I will be more prepared next time around.

One weird thing did happen- we went to mex food last night and had the worst of the menu: app platter w/ calamari marg chips salsa.... Later I noticed blotchy face and neck and had trouble breathing! I have never had food allergies before! Was it because of the cleanse that my body now is reacting to the gluten?

• Moderators

I only made it to day 11. Went out of town unprepared and maybe sabotaged it a bit so I can have an excuse to have wine on my birthday this weekend. My husband offered to try it with me September 1 so that will be nice to have his support. I will be more prepared next time around.

One weird thing did happen- we went to mex food last night and had the worst of the menu: app platter w/ calamari marg chips salsa.... Later I noticed blotchy face and neck and had trouble breathing! I have never had food allergies before! Was it because of the cleanse that my body now is reacting to the gluten?

This thread has the best explanations I've read in the forums about how/why you seem more sensitive to foods after W30. If you haven't read It Starts With Food yet, it also goes into detail about the explanation, as well as other science-y stuff behind the rules.

Hi Penelope,

I am new to Whole30 but have lots of experience with allergies, etc. The blotchy face/neck and trouble breathing is an anaphylactic reaction. That happens with shellfish allergies but I don't think it's possible to have an anaphylactic reaction to gluten. If you've never had a reaction to shellfish (the calamari) before, then maybe you are now suddenly sensitized to it because other things in your body have shifted, but adult-onset shellfish allergies are not uncommon http://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/shellfish. (Squid can cause the same reaction as shellfish.) Please look up calamari allergy and anaphylactic reactions, because you want to be prepared -- they can be dangerous. If you have a response to calamari, you may now have a response to other shellfish as well. I would taste very small amounts and see if you get a reaction before eating any more. And maybe keep benadryl with you. 

It *is* possible to have an anaphylactic response to *wheat*, *if* you have a wheat allergy -- but that is very different from gluten-intolerance, and pretty rare, as far as I've heard. 

Thank you for the warning. I thought it was more likely related to gluten but did slightly wonder about the shellfish/calamari. I'm not much of a shellfish or calamari lover so that is okay--but a little scary and something to keep an eye on. It just goes to show that even 10 days of cleanse made a difference if my body had a reaction it wouldn't normally have..it is a little confusing though to develop an allergy at 40 years old Makes me really want to try the whole 30-- all the way, I will definitely check out that website right now!

Sarah, Have you tried tapping for your fears and/or cravings????  There has been a heck of a lot of success with both....and it's free.  I'm a Marriage and Family Therapist and I use this a lot with my clients.  You can look it up, there are a lot of YouTube videos on it. 

Archived