Craving onions?

This is my 1st whole30 (day 22), and lately I've been craving onions like mad.

I've had cravings on/off before when I started dabling in Primal/Paleo eating, but never like this. Cravings have become stronger and more frequent, to the point that the idea of biting into a raw onion like it's an apple doesn't seem unappealing at all. In fact, it sounds kind of good...

I've been putting onions in everything, cooking and sauteeing, and I've even eaten raw slices here and there with glee. But not having any kind of breath mints or gum (not compliant, altoids I miss you!), I am hyper-sensitive to brushing & mouthwash.

Anyone else had a craving for onions? My friend and family think I'm losing my mind from not having diet coke for 3 weeks. :)

I say - it's not a bad thing to crave onions.  Onions are not bad for you.  Apart from the bad breath thing.  I can see your point there a bit.

My first whole 30 I wanted fatty cuts of beef for morning noon and night - I was advised to roll with it.  I have days of craving bacon, or spinach.  Clearly your body is needing lacking something that it finds in onions.  You might have have some luck Googling "craving onions" just for curiosity's sake and see what comes up.

Thanks for the suggestion - I have done as much and I get lots of mixed info about possible deficiencies in this, that, and that. A lot of it sounds like pure hearsay, 'you're pregnant' (which I am definitely not), or a mind/body thing that I am instantly skeptical of. AskJeeves suggests a sluggish liver because onions contain a lot of sulfur? I was hoping someone here might have had the same experience and could save me a week of wading through the mass of internet to cut to the chase. I can't help but feel my cravings for this are related to the w30 diet change and the primal/paleo way of eating before w30. As I have eaten healthier, so has my relationship with onions.

10 years ago I hated onions. 5 years ago I could tolerate them as fried onion rings and in recipes, but if I accidentally ate them raw in something I would have horrible digestive issues. Now I want them with practically every meal. I think I need to get a mint plant to keep on my desk at work to chew leaves after lunch!

Archived