Green Smoothies

YogaMomNYC

I'm on my third Whole30 right now, and what always seems to pull me off-track when I'm trying to come off a Whole30 is breakfast.  I just lacked the variety that I needed to say a more-or-less forever goodbye to pancakes and french toast.  So I put a concerted effort into creating many options for breakfast, and it's worked beautifully.  While I haven't been on a Whole30 yet this year, I have spent months eating compliant breakfasts nearly every day, and one of my saviors was the green smoothie. Given how many people are desperate for breakfast options, I find it distressing that it's getting such a bad rap here!

Some comments I've been reading from our fantastic moderators are:

1.  too much fruit (I currently use 1/4 of a banana and about 1/4 cup blueberries, and a splash of apple juice to make about 1.5 servings, of which I eat one serving - that's not a lot, and I eat very little fruit through the rest of the day)

2.  you need protein, which smoothies lack (that's why I eat eggs or a serving of meat with my smoothie - that's 'next to,' not 'in.'  this last week, I even topped the meat with eggplant caviar from nomnompaleo - YUM, it was a breakfast of decadence all around)

3.  they don't keep you full (not true!  mine, accompanied by eggs or meat, keep me full for so long that I sometimes need to force myself to eat lunch, and that's when I'm not even on a Whole30.  I stay full for up to 7 hours sometimes)

4.  you need to chew your food for it to be satiating (this is completely true, and one of the commandments of French eating, which is why I eat my protein on the side)

5.  people who drink smoothies for breakfast do it every single day (I don't!  2 or 3 times per week, tops.  all things in moderation, and I think my fellow Whole30-ers can follow this reasoning and exercise restraint).

I do not suck breakfast down in the car on the way to work - I'm a stay at home mom.  My 7 year old and I have made a habit of lingering over our smoothies in the morning while we giggle over his dreams or break the family rules by reading a book at the table (we're such rebels).  I really struggle with someone saying this is an unhealthy habit.

Is it possible to create "healthy green smoothie habit" guidelines instead of just assuming people are doing it wrong?

This is the official answer to the smoothie question:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.VBC5xAPX.dpuf

Your personal context is your personal context. I would say most people use green smoothies as their meal not as their vegetable and fruit on the side of their meal. I would say it is a judgement call for each person. 

• 3 months later...

I have concerns about the smoothie debate as well.  I know it's related to personal context but I don't want to feel like I'm breaking the rules every time I have a green smoothie.  I have interstitial cystitis so the only fruits I eat are mild apples, pears, and blueberries.  My smoothies are often 100% vegetables.  Sometimes I will add half an apple, pear, or handful of blueberries.  I use them in addition to my meals or as a snack, not as a replacement.  I also chew my smoothies (I know how weird that sounds) ever since I read about the brain connection with chewing elsewhere.  I think it's a much healthier choice of snack than a handful of nuts or a Larabar so it would be nice to see an exception to smoothies being crucified.

Bethany posted the "official word" but I would like to chime in with my personal experience as well: prior to doing my whole30 I was exactly where you are, confident that my morning green smoothie was the healthiest choice and sure that none of the downfalls applied to me. Regardless, I tried doing the plan as recommended and found out that other (solid food) choices worked much better for me than smoothies. I really do think this is a case where you have to give stuff a chance and try, knowing that you can go back afterwards if you feel it is better for you.

Of course, all that said, I wouldn't claim smoothies are "crucified" on the program. A smoothie with all compliant ingredients is not recommended, but it is not prohibited. Snacking on Lara bars or nuts is not recommended either.

Thanks for the reply missmary.  Hearing about your personal experience certainly helps.  I do realize that "crucified" was a dramatic term to use.  I suppose I am just nervous about starting this journey and I should stop reading all the forum opinions and just go by the rules.

Did you try to reintroduce green smoothies and find that they did not agree with you?

Did you try to reintroduce green smoothies and find that they did not agree with you?

I had no desire to add them back with regularity post-whole30. I've had one maybe twice in the last year...and not at breakfast time. Turkey/blueberry meatballs, bell pepper strips, steamed broccoli and a hardboiled egg is my current go-to for breakfast.

Archived