Aunt Flo changes...

dianka25

I'm on day 13 and Aunt Flo is in town!  A bit late, but mine can be irregular.  I noticed several differences from the usual and wanted to know what others have experienced.

PMS symptoms- I usually get a headache, maybe a zit, and breast tenderness in the week before my period.  This time, I got NONE of the above symptoms!  Very happy. Looking back, I **may** have been a bit more emotional, but that's it.  Also a bit less energy than usual.  I was actually surprised when I got my period, which never happens because my symptoms give me a head's up (this was a good and bad thing- luckily I was at home!)

During the visit- I don't remember the last time my cramps were this BAD :wacko: .  Very achy, heavy flow- not at all my usual.  I am usually a 5 day, light flow type of girl. 

I will try to up the red meat/starchy veg as others have suggested, esp since I am slightly anemic to begin with.

What have others experienced?

Oh man, I could have written this.  I was also surprised when my period came, because my PMS was so light.  But I have been cramping hard core for over two days, and my flow is REALLY heavy.  The other night I was cramping so bad that I spent two hours in the bathroom, unsure if I was going to vomit or faint.  I also had to get up and change my tampon TWICE the other night (the heaviest one, too), and in the morning it looked like someone had been stabbed in the bathroom.

Does anyone have an answer?  I literally feel like I've been hit by a bus.

Same. First visit from Aunt Flo since I got pregnant with my son in Dec 2012! And it's on day 3 of my first Whole 30! I was on BC pills but went off them about a month ago. I felt down, tired and depressed the other night, and assumed it was the "hangover" phase. Today the cramps are rough.

Are either of you on hormonal contraceptives? I am a nurse practitioner, but I don't know enough about Whole 30 to know how it would affect women's hormones. Ibuprofen helped me get through the night last night. And a hot cup of tea. Definitely if you're going through more than 1 pad/tampon every hour for a couple hours in a row, or doubling up on pads, or if you are passing large clots, go see your doc.

The other night I was cramping so bad that I spent two hours in the bathroom, unsure if I was going to vomit or faint.  I also had to get up and change my tampon TWICE the other night (the heaviest one, too), and in the morning it looked like someone had been stabbed in the bathroom.

Dlgallian- You might want to call your doctor. Getting up twice at night is not normal.

Same here!! Very little PMS (except maybe a little irritability) and it came completely by surprise! (Also irregular).  I'm on day 19 and currently on my 2nd day through my visit with Aunt Flo.  I'm on the implant Nexplanon (the source of my irregularity if anyone's thinking about switching to it....) so my "visit" can usually last a week or two.  Bleh.  But I'm curious to see how the Whole 30 will effect that, if at all and I'll brace myself for the cramping!!  Thanks!

This is very concerning for me. I noticed some major changes in my cycles since my whole 30 in april- night sweats right before my period, shorter follicular phase/earlier ovulation, longer luteal phase, less EWCM around ovulation time. I'm really worried I've put myself into peri menopause from losing weight too fast. I had a super high carb diet previously and I lost a ton of weight right away (well a ton for an already healthy weight person) on my whole 30 which maybe messed with my hormones.

Oh me too! I've had 3 weeks of break through, then a week of really heavy. I had a reprieve for 1 week, now it's back heavier than ever. I'm on Implanon also (this is the third time, and the only time I've ever had dramas like this). My Dr is sending me for an ultrasound next week to see if we can find out what is causing these issues. I suffer from really low iron, so it's a cause of concern for me. 

Yes! I'm on a hormonal BC o help with cysts, and my period came five days early with zero warning, but it's been a bad one....well, bad for a bc period, which usually makes it light and almost a non issue. Pain from cramping and night sweats, and I had to get a fresh tampon halfway through my long run this morning (I dragged a bit too and thought about my midsection far more than normal! )

Well, the silver lining was - my period was heavy and intense, but only for a couple of days. I've now finished my WHole30 (woohoo!!!) but plan on continuing to eat pretty much the same way. I'll be curious to see if this pattern continues, but more curious to see what it will do to my cycle overall. I'm 49 and my cycle has gotten extremely irregular. I wonder if the hormonal changes from my diet will settle it down?

Archived