Dairy Disappointment and Attachment

It was a little heartbreaking this morning. I've finished the Whole 30 and intend to keep on this way although I'm sure I will infrequently choose to eat other things. I wanted to do some of the reintroduction to see the impact different foods have for future reference. I had a tablespoon of 1/2 & 1/2 (grassfed cows, etc) in my coffee and have been stomach crampy/bloated all day. ONE tablespoon (or less!) I'm disappointed. I know, this is evidence that dairy isn't good for me but...you guys, I LOVE ice cream. I can drink coffee black, I don't need cheese, but ice cream? There's clearly a psychological attachment here if I'm actually sad over something that clearly causes distress. So, anyone have any good tactics for breaking the stubbron emotional/mental connection?

I am allergic to highly allergic dairy so I can't have it and I didn't find this out until recently. Have you tried almond milk or coconut milk ice cream?

If you absolutely can't live without it, you could try those or get one of those new machines called Yonanas that makes ice cream out of bananas. I hear it's pretty good!

You might have better luck with higher fat dairy, which tends to be less inflammatory. Perhaps give heavy full-fat cream a shot instead of half and half?

Unfortunately, with ice cream, if the dairy doesn't disagree with you chances are the sugar will.

I'm also fairly sensitive to dairy (in fact the milk in my chai gave me terrible tummy aches yesterday!). My response is to always weigh up 'is it worth it?'

Example: I'm at a friend's wedding and they are serving amazing pavlova with whipped cream...

I tell myself 'OK, me, I know for a fact that if I eat this I will be locked in my bathroom all tomorrow. Is it worth it?'

If I have the day off the next day, I've been clean for a few days before, and I have a stack of good DVDs and herbal teas at hand? I might judge it worth it.

If I'm at work, or flying home, or I've been generally slack and wanting to work out the next day? It's not worth it.

Fact: the longer you stay clean, the easier it is to say no to junk food. My other strategy is to always have 'better' options in my handbag (Larabars, nuts, very dark chocolate, coconut chips, whatever floats your primal boat).

Two words: Coconut Bliss. It's the BEST non-dairy ice cream I've ever eaten. The Dark Chocolate is amazing. There's also a brand called Purely Decadent that makes a good Coconut milk ice cream as well, but Coconut Bliss is still my number one. :)

Renee--absolutely! This is the first Whole30 that I'm actually going to experiment with food groups in the reintroduction format. I can already tell that sugar will definitely be firmly in the one-in-a-while-treat column.

I make my own ice cream with coconut milk and no sugar. I have a couple different kinds but the most popular in my house is 2 mangos, 2 bananas and one can of coconut milk. Puree together in blender then put it into an ice cream maker. It's so sweet it doesn't need sugar, and it's so creamy you'd never know it wasn't dairy.

The other option,and it tastes just like soft serve ice cream,chop a ripe banana into rounds,freeze them.Pop into your food processor and add a dash of cinnamon,1 tbsp of water(adjust according to the number of bananas but be careful not to add to much or it becomes water and fruit).

I like to add fresh blueberries in when blitzing.When it's finished I add in some raw cashews.

The bananas on there own are AMAZING and taste just like ice cream..no sugar,no dairy,just bliss!

• 5 years later...

Oh no. I love Coconut Bliss. I guess I was in denial about the agave. I was just telling myself that I didn't see any sugar in the ingredient lines. Someone should reach out to them and ask them if they could make a Whole 30 compliant version. They're so close. I guess I have to start looking at making my own

Archived