Want to start soon but need advice on giving up coffee

TeriF

I've read It Starts with Food and would like to start the Whole 30 program soon.  I only drink one cup of coffee every morning but I drink it with cream and sugar.  I really don't think I could drink it black with no cream or sugar.  I'm sure others have faced this.  What have you done?  How did it work out for you?

I appreciate any suggestions.

I used to drink 4 cups of coffee a day with cream.  When I started the whole 30 (I am on day 28) I was not willing to give up coffee, but I also wasn't willing to fill it with other things.  I figured if I really wanted my coffee I would just drink it black and I remember this quote from the book and would say it to myself before I drank my coffee; "Quitting heroin is hard.  Beating cancer is hard.  Birthing a baby is hard.  Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard."  I only did that for 4 days and then I really didn't have to say it anymore.  If you are drinking a good quality coffee you really don't need anything else.  I even have black iced coffee sometimes too.  I am down to 1 cup a day and realize that I think I only drank coffee for the cream!  So, some days I don't even have coffee.  

Just remind yourself that there are harder things to face than drinking black coffee!  Good luck!!!

I tried light coconut milk, but didn't like it. I also tried cinnamon, but didn't like that either. I ended up not having coffee for the 30 days because it was just toomuch work to find something I liked. I bet if you kept experimenting with things you would find something. I used to drink my coffee with store bought creamer, which is full of preservatives and sugar. Now that I am done with the 30 days, I drink it with heavy cream. I LOVE it! I look forward to it every day. :-)

It wasn't that hard for me to give up the cream.  If you're drinking good quality coffee, it tastes good without it.  At first my tastebuds were like "what's this?" but after just the first day or so they said "okay, whatever".  :)

I was hooked on my coffee with sweetener and cream. My favorite was the thin mint Girl Scout creamer. The day before I started my whole 30 I switched to coconut milk and half a pack of Splenda. Then on day 1 I just went to coconut milk. And it's actually pretty good. I shake the can of coconut milk really well and it gives it a nice froth. Just completed day 5 and I still like it. Although I've really been craving a Starbucks latte today!

Many years ago I had to give up dairy (casein allergy) and I thought the exact same about my tea. I loved my tea sweet and milky, what my Scottish friend called 'tea for babies'. 

It was a non option for me. I COULDN'T have dairy. Maybe that helped, because there was physical agony to await if I slipped.  Nothing like negative reinforcement, right?

Well, to cut to to the chase, as ISWF will tell you, trying to replicate things you can't eat will only lead to disappointment, because you have set in your head what it should taste like, so any difference will be 'gross'.  I switched it up entirely--got a new kind of tea and with Rooibos and Mate and the like, there are a bunch of flavors and---I started drinking coffee. So my suggestion? Don't try to find whole30'fied things to do with your coffee to make it take the same, switch it up entirely! Try teas, not just herbals but black teas, and consider it an experiment.  You will find something that you can live with, I promise! 

I use full fat coconut milk and now drink less than a cup of coffee per day. I've tried several different brands, and only found one or two I really like. Some are just plain bad. So if you had a bad experience, you may want to try another kind.

Archived