Starting My Whole 30 25th August

wholedlyon

Happy Day 23 everyone!

Finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! It's odd to think of the Whole30 in that way, but I'm definitely ready to feel like I've reached the end and really done it! I'm also very ready for reintro. I'm having some general food boredom, but I'm also ready to test out my new skills! I'm going to be out of town for about a week in a work setting starting on what would be Day 35, so I will use that as a great test of where I am mentally. I'm also planning ahead to take great healthy snack options.

I'm still enjoying all my meals and have great energy. My skin is also looking pretty darn super and my pants are way too big (hooray). These non-scale victories are something I'm really treasuring.

The Whole30 says a lot of things about 'changing your life' and I'm still trying to decide if this experience has been life-changing. Maybe I won't know until I finish. But I also know that it takes something pretty giant (for example, my dad passing away) to be considered really life changing by me. I'm looking forward to testing the post-Whole30 waters, to treating all the food I eat as fuel, and to seeing how well I make choices that I may not have been so good at in the past. I'm also not afraid to stumble a little and return to the Whole30 ways for another 5, 14 or event 30 days.

Whew, ok that was a lot. Now I'm ready to dive into my day. I wish you all the best for Day 23. How are you all doing out there?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone - yesterday there was a pizza party at work - for all the hard work we do and the OT we have put in... and it was right by my desk.  I survived but it really smelled GOOD.  when I finally ate my lunch - it stopped smelling so good.  One hurdle crossed.

Today I was hungry at 4 and of course I thought everything was calling to me !  But that too passed.

My cubie across the wall from me - has decided to go Paleo !  so I finally have someone at work who can understand !

I thought my dads birthday party was going to be ok - grilled food and I was going to bring roasted veggies - then I wouldn't have to worry about all the salads, potatoe, broccoli, fruit... but things have changed. We are now going to a buffet,   This so sucks... it is at a little café out in the middle of no where so I'm sure they won't have just some plain food (ie -something that is not drowning in some fluids of sorts)  I hope they will have a salad bar atleast. ;)

So my acid reflux reared its ugly head - haven't had an episode in quite a while. The the other night it started up and then again after lunch.  I thought maybe he culprit was the tomato sauce I put in the shephards pie,  but now I don't think so, because today after my salad, it happened again.  My salad was spinach, cukes, peppers, and pork loin w/ mayo that had cumin, coriander, and curry and coconut milk in it (my version of a salad dressing)

Has anyone had any issues with acid reflux ??   Any thoughts ? 

Hello Day 24

Megan, it sounds like you are feeling pretty awesome just now. What are you going to reintroduce first? Until day 30 we’ll need to rely on the non-scale victories and you could argue that those achievements are worth more, better energy, skin and the fit of your clothes will make you feel a whole lot better than a smaller number on the scales.

I’m always wary when claims are made that anything will change your life in X amount of days. However I think it is the start of a new, better me and in the future when I look back I’ll probably see this whole 30 as “where it all began”. I think the last 30 days has shown that we can make gradual daily improvements to our health and they accumulate. Eventually we’ll be virtually unrecognisable to our old selves.

I’m not on progress not end product.

Hope you have a great time when you’re away and hope you can stay in touch in the forums.

Tina, you exhibited some hulk like strength to resist the pizza, well done. Do you think your cubie will do a whole 30? Would you do another with them to keep them accountable?

Could you call the café and ask if they can provide something for you? I’ve had to do this with a restaurant that my team is planning a Christmas night out at. Their menu has a hint of compliance about it, I just need them to hold the sauce, butter, grains and I’ll be fine.

I’ve not had any acid reflux symptoms and have no experience with it. I hope it feels better soon.

Had a good day yesterday, I’ve been hungrier of late so increased my portions at breakfast and lunch which saw me through the day well. I made the classic coleslaw from Well Fed 2 and it tastes great.

My wife was out last night so I made my daughters dinner. I asked if she wanted to have the same as me and she said yes. We had Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and Homemade fries. She didn’t like the Scrambled egg texture but ate the rest of the meal and told me after her belly said it was full. Perhaps I can convert Darcy to Paleo too.

Hope you all have a great day.

We Will Do This

David

Hi Everyone

Tina, I use to have acid reflux all the time. I have to take nexium for it. I'm hoping after doing this W30 for a few months and then going Paleo afterwards I will be able to go off the pills. You didn't say what you drank yesterday. Maybe that could have triggered it? Caffine really sets mine off bad. I had to cut out all sugary drinks including fruit juices too about a year ago. Anything spicy or acidic will also cause an upset too.

Glad you were able to withstand the pizza. That had to be hard. Hopefully your friend will support you.

Chantelle. Welcome to our group.

My energy has been all over the place this last week. Yesterday I slept a lot. Monday I had quite a bit of energy. I know I'm not getting enough veggies or protein lately. I really need to make myself eat better at breakfast. I'm just not use to eating breakfast. I'm use to having either oatmeal or a protein shake. Anything quick and easy.  I made the meatballs the other night from Wellfed and everyone loved them. I made extra so I would have some for dinner last night but my hubby took them to work for his dinner yesterday. So much for my easy dinner!

David, So glad your continuing with another W30. I'm glad we'll be doing it together. Are we gonna start a new thread or just stay here? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start a new thread saying we're on W30 2nd time around. What do you think?

Hope your daughter is more accepting to the Paleo program as you continue on. It would be so much easier if the whole family would do it with you. My husband usually eats whatever I make. He's complained a couple of times that the food was bland but that's it. I just need to get more creative with spices. I'm getting there slowly.

Meg, so glad your doing so great. As I'm reading more labels, I'm finding more items I've been eating that has hidden sugars and soy in them. Most of them say below the ingredients label "could contain" sugar, soy or milk. Either it does or it doesn't! Which is it? So confusing and so frustrating!!

Wishing we had better stores to get groceries at around here. The only place to buy healthy food is Sprouts, but that's and hour away on the other side of the city. Rumor is we are suppose to get a Trader Joe's but don't know where it's to be located. Hopefully it's closer to me. I only get to Sprouts about every 2-3 weeks. It's just so far. I'm slowly trying to stock up on certain things when I go but they also are very expensive.

Well, I hope everyone is having a great day. Gonna go check on dinner. Making a soup that Olive Garden makes. Subbing the milk for coconut milk and the flour for arrowroot. hope it comes out good.

We can do this

Dawn

Hello Day 25

How are you all feeling today? I’m rather tired and sore after a good Kendo session last night.

Dawn, I hadn’t given much thought to another thread but we could do that. Tina will still be working towards day 30 so we’ll need to make sure Tina has a place to vent and get support.

There will be highs and lows in your journey to health. We just need to focus on ensuring our bodies are well nourished regardless of how we feel. You’ve done great so far and we’ll continue to make great progress.

My wife is currently doing a conventional type diet. She’s making progress at the moment so I don’t want to discourage her by getting into a diet war. All the women in her family are going to the same class so they have a little network. This means that Darcy is open to lots of different foods in the house. I too hope that the house and not just my daughter could convert to paleo longer term. I see my job just now to show it can be done, the food can be tasty and that you can become a lot healthier eating naturally.

We can only work with the produce we have available to us. I hope the stores around you become better resourced for you soon.

Hope everyone has a great day.

We Will Do This!

David

Thank you for thinking of me David !   My daughter accepted the Paleo diet - because that is how I was cooking, and it is just the two of us, so I got lucky. Good luck with encouraging Darcy when you can. I think lead by example is a great start.  Your wife, once she sees how you are doing, she will most likely be more curious.  It is in our nature !

Today is Day 15 !  This makes 3 days now that my innards are not quite right.  Checked the timeline and it does state that this is about the time that your intestines are healing - so things might get tough.  Last night I didn't want to eat but made myself.  Had 2 eggs w/ some rutabaga hash and sw potato hash. Had never tried the rutabaga in that manner and it was great !  Even my daughter gave it a thumbs up.  Just shredded it, added some grated onion, s & p and fried in coconut oil.

Had the same thing this morning - Food is not appealing to me at all - but will eat. Don't want to back slide now.  So M2 is a salad, w/ cukes, red peppers, pork and avocado.  brought an orange, an apple, celery & carrots, and another 1/2 half of avocado for snacks if needed.  Yesterday my stomach was growling so bad around 3:30-4, but with the cramping/bloating/ basically yucky feeling -I didn't eat, until supper.

Dawn - Last year - when my acid reflux was really bad - I switched from conventional coffee (heating process is what causes the high acidity) to cold brewing - which does actually taste much better. But I have not had any coffee since 9/1 and don't miss it ! - so I am thinking now that it is just part of the healing process and maybe not so much the food.  I am going to see how I feel in a couple days.

If you all - want to start a new thread - I can totally understand. You guys have been a group since the beginning - and are almost done ....  I started a food log so you guys can stalk me there too, if this thread is discontinued.

We Will Do This !

so I checked the timeline here on this site - and it is different from the book -  ISWF.  however - I believe that I am just going through necessary healing. 

I am going to Costco tonight to get some chicken, and some eggs and butter.  the butter is way better price than my local organic store (they are charging $6/lb) and Costco is $6 for 2 lbs !  then I can make some clarified butter.  I bought white balsamic vinegar last night, which is a new one for me .  Roasted my veggies in it last night.

I have discovered - do not like rutabaga roasted.   Next I will make a soup and see if I still like it in soup.

I have 2 chicken carcasses in my freezer that are patiently waiting for me to cook them up.  Last night would have been a good night to have just a bowl of broth.

Has anyone made broth in a crock pot ??

NSV -  no desire to raid my cubie's stash !   It used to be that around 3:30 ish.. mindless eating set in.  No longer !

Hi Everyone

Tina, I hope you stick with us. Just cause we start a new thread doesn't mean we're leaving you behind. We want you to join us. Most of us will be starting a new W30 but there are you and Bonnie that are at a different day. I know Bonnie doesn't post often, but she is reading the posts. She's just busy with life. I try to keep in touch with her to keep her going. We really need to support each other.

Had my breakfast today. 2 eggs, avocado, and bacon. It's raining here. Been raining since yesterday. El Paso is flooding in areas. Glad I did my shopping yesterday as going out today could be dangerous. They had the highway closed down last night due to it being flooded. It's open right now but their expecting to have to close it again if we get much more rain. Suppose to rain till sunday. Not sure what I'm having for dinner tonight. I bought some stuff for a Asian meal, but got to find which recipe it was in Wellfed. lol  I forgot to mark which recipes I was going to make this week. Stupid me!! Well I guess I should go figure out what's for dinner and start prepping and finish cleaning my house. Be back on later.

We can do this

Dawn

Hi all! Happy day 25!

I've been rushing through a busy week but managed to stay prepped and ready for everything I knew I would face and it's gone great. I'm so incredibly lucky to have such supportive friends, family and coworkers who are proud of me for sticking with this the entire time.

I had a couple of food dreams last night...it had been awhile! These were mostly me slipping up and suddenly realizing I was eating something non-compliant with only a few days to go!

David, I think I'm going to reintro dairy first. I don't eat a ton of grains or legumes but I'm definitely a dairy girl, so I'll be ready to try it out. I know I won't be able to do an entirely perfect reintro because I'll be leaving town and won't be in control of many of my meal, but I'll do what I can. I'll also stay on track as much as possible on the trip and I ordered some primal pacs to have on hand just in case. I may also do a Whole7 with a reintro once I'm done with most of my travel in October.

I was thinking about post-Whole30 as I was driving to work and thinking about how differently it has made me view food. I know that I won't live paleo all the time but I do know when I choose food, it will be done far more thoughtfully. I will eat more real food, I will indulge only on special occasions when it's something I can't get just anytime. It's an exciting new way to think.

Hope you all are having spectacular days. It's amazing how far we've all come!

Megan

Hello Day 26

Tina, you’ve been there through almost all of our Whole 30, we’ll not forget you. Whatever happens after day 30 we’ll keep in touch.

The timeline is typical but everyone will have their own whole 30 experience. The hangover lasted around a week for me, possibly more. Please take comfort in the fact that these uncomfortable feelings now are part of a larger movement to a healthier you.

I made bone broth in a slow cooker, after making the chicken and gravy from Nom om Paleo’s cookbook, I put the bones into the cooker and left it for 24 hrs on low. The bone broth was good, I used it more as a stock as I didn’t like the taste enough to sip a mug of it.

I’ve not been using many cuts on the bone in my whole 30 so haven’t accumulated the bones to make a batch again. I hope it works out for you.

Dawn, I hope the weather settles soon and everyone stays safe. I’ve been finding it hard of late to get motivated to cook. My appetite has grown and I’ve found myself being caught short and having to create something from scratch. I push and get it done but I’m finding a little bit of food boredom coming my way. I think I need to liven things up a bit and try more new recipes.

Megan, we can find that the resistance is greatest when we’re almost complete. I’m glad I’ve not had any food dreams; this may be old habits trying to hear their ugly heads.

I think dairy would be my choice too, I love cheese. There are a lot of primal blogs which advocate some dairy so you’ll have plenty of options if you need them. Even with the travelling I’m sure you’ll do great.

The primal pacs look like a great option when on the go. We have some equivalent products in the uk but I haven’t tried them yet. I didn’t want to get into the habit of snacking on them between meals.

Scotland voted in the Independence referendum yesterday and its been announced there was a 55% majority for remaining in the UK. Happy that we got over 80% of Scots voting on the subject and hope we can move forward now.

Bonnie, I hope your Whole 30 is going well. You’re lucky to have dawn nearby for support. How is your whole 30 going? Any great recipe ideas you’ve found?

Hope everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend.

We Will Do This!

David

Hi all-

Just checking in quickly to say I hope you all have had wonderful days and that you head into the weekend feeling strong!

Tina, I'm so sorry to hear you're still not feeling well! That's always such a bummer when you're trying to do something good for yourself.

David, I've decided dairy is definitely coming back first. I'll be menu planning tomorrow, so I'll be figuring out how I want to reintro it. For me cheese, Greek yogurt and some organic whole milk might be the way to go.

The primal pacs are great! I tried one once I received them to see what they were like and they're delicious and the perfect size for emergencies. My planning for this coming week will also include what I want to stock up on for traveling. I'm fairly certain my hotel will have a mini-fridge, which should make things so much easier. I'm actually excited to test myself in this way, who would have thought!

It's another football weekend here, so I'll be navigating tailgates tomorrow and staying hydrated because it's supposed to be a hot one!

We're almost there everyone! We're going to do it.

Megan

Hello Day 29

Almost there guys… almost

How was everyone’s weekend?

I’m not feeling great today, congestion caused a couple of bad nights sleep and I’m feeling it today. Not the end of the Whole 30 I had planned however in spite of the cold I now have I still feel a lot better than when I started.

Tina, I hope the doctor was able to bring you some relief and I you feel better soon.

Have you found a way to enjoy rutabaga? In Scotland they tend to come mashed alongside haggis and mashed potatoes.

Megan, sounds like you have a good plan. I guess with dairy you’ll be able to have milk in your coffee and would make travelling a little easier. Primal pacs sound like a good backup when suitable food is not available. Good luck with the travelling.

Looking forward to seeing how your reintro goes.

Hoping everyone has a great day.

We Will Do This!

David

Hi all...  didn't end up going to the doctor ~  my daughter needed some help watching little man - so I did babysitting duty after work.  Saturday was still off.. ate very little, but made about 16 cups of chicken broth, while I was laying around.  So I am stocked up for making gravies, soups. Yesterday was finally a day of very minimal upset. Went to lunch for dad's birthday. had a salad, and the waitress managed to find me some balsamic vineagar and oil for my salad.  Was able to bypass the cake.  It was just me and my daughter and my parents, so that was an easy one.

Last night went out for dinner with friends, had steak and a sweet potato - the waitress looked at me like I was crazy - to have my potato plain !  She was like "are you sure - nothing - "   I usually eat my potato that way any way, but it is funny that is not the norm.

have a good day

Day 29 has arrived!

Saturday I went for my last big grocery trip before I head out for a couple of weeks. I very carefully selected my dairy for reintro and I'm very interested to see how my body reacts. I know it will be a shock to my system, but I went with full-fat high quality dairy. I want that to be what I consume when I do have dairy, so I want to see how that goes.

I managed to have a nice restful weekend and am looking forward to a mani/pedi tomorrow to celebrate day 30 as well as some down time after to take stock of what I've accomplished in 30 days. If you get the daily emails (I've loved them!), I plan on filling out the AAR sheet to help me summarize my journey and plan for what's coming next. Should be a great exercise.

I am beyond proud of all of us for what we've accomplished in a just a few weeks. I know I can't and won't be Whole30 all the time. I do know I now have the tools and willpower to continue to make good choices. Who wouldn't want to feel this good!

Good luck on these last couple of days, all! We can do it!

Megan

Hey everyone. We're all doing so good it seems. Can't wait to weigh in and take measurements. I can't do mine till Thursday as I'm out of town till Wednesday night. I plan on doing another whole30 after this and try to be more strict with flowing the meal plan. I need to get better at cooking ahead for breakfast and lunch. Dinner I do fine. It's getting up first thing in the am and cooking something. I'm just not use to breakfast. Always just been a coffee drinker and banana for breakfast.

Tina, I hope you stay with us. We all need that extra support.

Off to eat dinner.

We can do this

Dawn

hi all...   made scotch eggs,  good thing they are wrapped in meat - cuz my eggs wouldn't peel decently so some look pretty rough, but now no one will be the wiser !  (I HATE it when eggs don't turn out)

Also made some breakfast meatballs from PaleOMG.  minus the bacon.  I couldn't find breakfast sausage that didn't have all the crap - so I just used regular ground pork with my favorite seasonings.  didn't have fennel seeds but I think it will be ok anyway.  Brooke just tried one and again Kid approved ! (these have shredded sw potato, shredded onion, shredded mushrooms.  (I 'forgot' to tell Brooke they had mushrooms in them heehee) she came back for a 2nd one !  The recipe is on her website - so go check it out

Roasted cauliflower, sw potatoes, fennel, onions, and even tried beets. !  so we will see how that all turns out.

Now I know why I do all this on the weekend !!!  Worked late and ate late, and still have things in the oven - wheewwww.

Feeling much better - thank goodness.

tomorrow is day 20 !!!   I think I will go another week after my 30--just because of last week.  Not sure if it will really matter, but I don't have a reason not to.  Except for my wine tasting weekend !!  wine and cheese - mmmm.

Thanks for all the support !

Hello Day 30

How is everyone doing today?

Tina, are you feeling better? It sounds like you’ve had a busy weekend and well done on staying compliant in such a potentially dangerous situation. I’m working through a similar situation just now, my team is arranging a Christmas night out and I’ve emailed the restaurants owners with my list of food restrictions. To my surprise they have been very happy to provide a suitable meal.

Scotch Eggs are awesome. I do the same ground meat and seasoning trick whenever a recipe calls for sausage. I’ve not found any sausages in the UK without sulphites however a lot of the recipes I’ve been using lately require the sausage to be crumbled anyway.

I’ve embraced the Sunday cookout too. It makes the weeknights so much easier. I can spend more time with my daughter and don’t have the dread of cooking from scratch after work. I finish each day around 5 but as my daughter goes to bed soon after 7 my time with her during the week is limited.

Megan, at the end of today you’ll have completed a Whole 30. No one will be able to take that from you. You’ll know you can and have done it in the past. I don’t think the Whole 30 is supposed to be a permanent plan but it’s a great start or restart if you decide to do more in the future.

You should rightly enjoy your achievements and I’m sure the mani/pedi will make you feel even better.

You have done an amazing thing in the last 30 days.

Dawn, I’ve been making breakfast bakes in the oven and taking them to work. I found the recipes online and they can be tweaked to keep them new and interesting. Having them ready, I just need to heat them up and they’re ready. I found the temptation to eat crap was highest at work due to the restricted options, work on a chemical complex so its canteen food and vending machines really.  I didn’t want to be cooking food each morning either so I make sure I have something prepared in advance.

I hope everyone has a great day today. I’m looking forward to seeing today out and then tracking progress tomorrow. My wife told me last night my face looks visibly thinner so my progress isn’t going unnoticed.

We Will Do This!

David

David, What is the website for doing the breakfast bakes? I want to try them.

I put my swimsuit on this morning and it was kinda loose in the stomach area. Finally seeing some results. Can't wait to measure on Thursday morning. Even if it's only an inch I'll be happy. I'm hoping that with this next 30 days I can go down a whole size. My jeans, which were really tight, are looser in the waistband too. Can't wait to go buy all new jeans and get into some of my older tops. I refused to get rid of them when they got too tight. I just packed them away hoping someday I could wear them again.

Hope to see some of you on the next 30 days.

We ARE doing this!

Dawn

Dawn the recipe I've been using mostly is below. It's loaded with cauliflower and spinach.

http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/02/06/who-is-sick-of-eggs-for-breakfast/

Here's another good one I tried at the weekend.

http://paleomg.com/savory-breakfast-casserole/

I used ground beef and the Italian sausage seasoning from Well Fed in the first one. The second one I used ground pork and the chorizo seasoning from Well Fed 2

I'll keep looking for more to keep things interesting.

David, thanks for the links and the advice on meat and seasonings.

On another note, I caught a fish today. Pretty big for a white bass. Only one caught too. Hubby not that happy. If I'm not careful my lucky lure is going to disappear. Lol

We Did this! Happy W30 day!!

Dawn

Hello Day 31.

We did it, we did it, we did it.

I recently watched Dora with my daughter and I’ve now got the “we did it” lyrics in my head.

I stepped on the scales this morning and I’m down to 299 lbs so a weight loss of 22 lb in the last 30 days.

I’m really happy with my progress in the whole 30 and I cannot see myself going back any time soon. I felt I was losing a little momentum near the end but I kept going and have did it. We all have, or will do.

How are you all feeling today?

Dawn

Great catch, I’m sure all this time in nature will be helping your move to a healthier you. I hope you enjoy the new clothes shopping and finding some new old outfits to wear again. I too have a few piles of clothes which didn’t fit but I’ll try some on again.

Hope you get some great results in your measurements tomorrow. It sounds like you are visibly seeing the difference in your clothes already which is great.

Wishing everyone a great day.

We did it and will continue to do it.

David

Hi everyone! Hooray for day 31!

I am so thrilled with what the Whole30 has done for me. I got on the scale this morning and I was down nearly 18 pounds! I couldn't believe my eyes. No tracking, no counting calories, just delicious and healthy food for 30 days and wow. I reflected a bit last night about this past month and here's what I know...

-I am proud of myself

-I am not a number on a scale, but darn I do like it when I see it getting lower

-I feel better, I sleep better, I have more energy

-My skin is happier

-I know I can't follow the reintro schedule perfect, but I will do my best and will reset when I need to

-I always have the Whole30 to fall back on

-This has changed how I look at food

-This has changed how I view my own willpower

-I could not have done this without you all

I'm having a little milk with my breakfast, will have some yogurt with lunch and some cheese with dinner. Will my stomach panic? Probably...it has been more than 30 days after all. I'm going to try to concentrate more on how I feel, how my body reacts as a whole and then move forward. I have no fantasies of diving into a bowl of ice cream taller than me or planting my face in a pile of candy, so I'll count this as a win. I'm ready to head over to the post-30 section and keep counting victories. I hope to see you all there. You all are amazing.

Megan

Hello Day 32

I've started a new thread for my new whole 30, you can find it here.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/22124-whole-30-starting-240914/

I'll still keep up with what's going on here.

Megan, you have been a huge help to us all over the past 30 days. I hope your first day of reintro went well.

The things that i've noticed most are the things that are absent from my life now. things like cravings, lethargy and snoring.

I'm also thinking about food in a completely different way. I am planning what i'm eating, i'm now making food choices based on a set of heathy principles rather than what i feel like eating.

I've got a long way to go but ifeel so much better than i did a month ago.

The biggest win is the sense of hope i now have after  completing a whole 30. I've proven to myself i can change and i am now more optimistic for my future joureny to health.

I hope everyone is doing well adn enjoying their food and new boundless energy.

We Can Do This!

David

Congratulations everyone We did it!

I got home last night but didn't weigh till this morning. I lost 6lbs and 1 inch from my stomach. I'm happy. Now to continue on with the next W30. Anyone continuing with another one come over to the new thread with me and David. Hope to see yo all there. Thanks for all your support

We did it

Dawn

Archived