5am workout

danipals

I am starting my W30 tomorrow and have been reading everything I can get my hands on today to prepare. I have read how important the pre WO meal is but don't know how to make that work. I wake at 4:15am and am on the road at 4:30 for a 5am class. 3 days a week are cardio kickboxing and 2 strength training. My issue is that I take levothyroxine when I wake and have to wait at least 45 minutes before I am allowed to eat. I cannot get up any earlier than I am already so end up exercising on an empty stomach. Any suggestions? Thank you.

How do you feel working out on an empty stomach? You may want to focus on your post workout meal. Maybe a moderator will have a better suggestion. I don't eat pre workout or post workout meals but I am not an athlete so that may be why.

In this case (working out first thing in the morning) the pre-WO meal is important because we recommend eating within an hour of waking. It helps balance hormones. Is first thing in the morning the only time you can take these classes? Is it also the only time you can take your medication? I'm not that familiar with the meds so hard to give the advice. 

Guest PaleoViki

I am the same as you!  Here is what I do.

I get up to go to the bathroom several times a night because on W30 I drink a lot of water plus exercise.  I usually get up around 2:30 ish and take Levoxithrine.

Get up at 5:00 a.m.  eat 1 whole large egg and do my P-90X routine within 5 minutes of that.

6:15ish - Post w/o  3 egg whites and 1 cup sweet potato

Shower, shampoo & shine

Breakfast:  2 to 3 eggs, zucchini & green onion scramble, coffee.  I am usually NOT hungry but I eat anyway because 12:00 is a long way away and I don't want to be hungry.  This worked for me.  I am on day 26.  You can friend me or send me messages if you want.  V

Believe me, if I could take the class any other time I would! Three kids keep me running all over town from after school on so mornings it is. And yes, that is the only time to take my meds. The kickboxing class is intense and if anything I used to eat a granola bar of some sort but that's it. It's tough because some mornings I'm hungry before class but don't have many options. The weight doesn't budge anyway so sometimes I wonder why I bother. Seven plus hours of sleep sounds better! Thanks for the input.

Believe me, if I could take the class any other time I would! Three kids keep me running all over town from after school on so mornings it is. And yes, that is the only time to take my meds. The kickboxing class is intense and if anything I used to eat a granola bar of some sort but that's it. It's tough because some mornings I'm hungry before class but don't have many options. The weight doesn't budge anyway so sometimes I wonder why I bother. Seven plus hours of sleep sounds better! Thanks for the input.

Well this is a good question. How much sleep are you getting? Are you sacrificing sleep to get these workouts in? If you are than you are probably doing more harm than good. Know that I'm saying this as a group fitness instructor. I want people to come to my classes and work hard but if I knew they were sacrificing rest and sleep to do it I would advice them to focus on getting sleep first. 

I have the same situation but workout at 6. I guess the amount of time you should wait to eat after taking Levothyroxine is all over the board. I have heard from 30 - 60 minutes. I wake up at 5:15 and take my pill then eat a hard boiled egg at 5:45. We have a 10 minute warmup at my bootcamp so that gives me almost 30 minutes after eating the egg before getting into harder parts of the workout. I have been fine with this so far. Just boil up a bunch of eggs and take with you for your drive. I eat some chicken breast immediately after and usually eat meal 1 about an hour later after I get to work.

Well this is a good question. How much sleep are you getting? Are you sacrificing sleep to get these workouts in? If you are than you are probably doing more harm than good. Know that I'm saying this as a group fitness instructor. I want people to come to my classes and work hard but if I knew they were sacrificing rest and sleep to do it I would advice them to focus on getting sleep first. 

Yes, I am definitely sacrificing sleep and would sleep longer if I could.  This is just the only class time that I can attend due to our family schedules.  Even if I could fit in the evening class I think it would be hard to not find excuses to skip by the end of the day.   I started this program last September and I love it.  It's hard but fun.   It's like a bootcamp class where we are kicking and hitting the heavy bag and doing exercises in between like surrenders, mountain climbers, planks, etc.   I have always worked out and this is something fun and different.  ( I am drenched by the end of the cardio days.)    By the end of the past school year the 4:15 wake ups I think took their toll.  I felt kind of flu-like every day.   Luckily, I teach preschool so once summer came I was able to do the 7am class instead.  Two extra hours of sleep were amazing!  Now that school is back in session I am back to the early class.  My membership in this class ends in December and I am thinking of taking a break and moving on to something else to mix things up and help with sleep.  (If I work out at home I could sleep an extra hour.)   I do my best to get us all heading up to bed at 9 but it's closer to 10 by the time I go to sleep.  That's just over 6 hours of sleep a night.  I had  my every 6 month blood drawn today and am planning to talk to my doctor about switching thyroid meds to Armour Thyroid instead to see if I can finally get this weight to budge!  Thyroid issues are unbelievably frustrating.  I appreciate the advice.  

BTW, my Day 1 has been great!

I'm a pharmacist- try taking your levothyroxine before you go to bed- just so you haven't eaten in 30 minutes it will be fine- I've advised many of my patients to do this and it works great!

Thank you!!!  This will help so much!!  I never eat after dinner around 6pm anyway so this will be an easy fix!!  I appreciate the advice!!

Hi Dani...I had similar timing issues with my thyroid meds. My dr switched me to tirosent....it is the same medication in a different delivery system so it doesn't have the same fasting requirements.

Thanks for the info!  I just had my blood drawn this week and have an appointment coming up to discuss meds.  I will look into my options!

Archived