Day 13 - Not feeling good. Thoughts? Help?

ReginaMarie

Hey there, 

Anyone start about 2 weeks ago and feel not so great? Or remember that? 

First few days I was right on track with feeling insanely fatigued, I had a headache for a week and was a bit grumpy. Then the "magic" kicked in. Energy, exercise, felt strangely happy, loved my food... it was SO good. I thought I'd be doing this forever. Again, on track and totally predictable. 

What's thrown me is that I feel bad again. The last few days,I'm so tired I yawn all day, headache is back and in general I feel yucko. I'm not too hungry (and not pooping great) but when I am I have major cravings for carby and cheesy kinds of things -- foods that feel warm and "comforting" (note: I didn't really have many cravings until now). I'm making tons of yummy whole30 compliant foods from all the amazing links in the newsletter so I don't feel "bored" with my food. I eat lots of veggies- though my diet feels more "meat heavy" than I'm used to. To boot, I'm sick of cooking and cleaning and packing my lunch. What I wouldn't give for a cocktail, a glass of wine or a PNW beer. Oh, and some ice cream. I'd LOVE some salted carmel ice cream. 

Women only note: I am a day or two from my period, so maybe this is contributing?

Also, I started taking Natural Calm in the evenings, maybe making me too tired in the day? 

Mostly, I wonder, if this isn't round 2 of detox? Is that common/likely? Will this pass? 

I won't be "going off" -- I'm clear on my commitment, BUT, I'm struggling more now than I have since I started. I notice the talk in my head is more challenging than it was before as well. i.e. I used to feel like 30 days was nothing, now I feel like it's forever and counting the days until it's over. 

Others have a similar experience? Thoughts? Help? 

Thanks, 

regina

Yep I'm feeling a bit the same as you, very tired and sneaky cravings. I have been smashing it at the gym, which may account for some of the fatigue, and maybe the carb cravings too. But there's also an element of self-sabotage in there for me as I noted two days ago that I was looking good - so I'm putting some of the blame for the excessive consumption of dried fruits and nuts on that.

Not much help to you, sorry!

Congrats on smashing it at the gym! That's awesome. 

Yeah, I've been doing some exercise (likely not as much as you but more than normal) so thought maybe that was it too but I traded sleep for exercise the last two days and still feel knocked out. 
Well... keep riding the wave sister, we'll know more at the end. :) Thanks for the reply. Good to know I'm not alone, at the very least. 

As soon as you started listing symptoms, I thought, "I bet she's about to start her period." Then you said you are.  Bam. 

Eat. More. Starchy. Carbs. With Every. Meal.

Seriously.  I want to get this on a t-shirt. :lol:   It's such a common thing - we think that we are stuffing ourselves with junk food carbs the week before our periods because we're bad girls or something; then on Whole30, just before our periods, we are so hungry for carbs (and fat.  Don't forget fat!).  Turns out - our bodies need more carbs before we start our periods. 

Eat up, and rest more if you need to.  You're right on track. :wub:

I was contemplating a similar post to this as well! It's almost like a second wave hangover. I'm on day 15, not expecting my period any time soon. I've been sleeping like a rock, but waking up groggy after 8 hours of sleep. I eat a sweet potato or white potato almost every day. I'm pretty busy with a 1 year old and I work out about every other day. I want coffee in the afternoons. I probably need more veggies...?

I am on day 15 today too and today is my worst day! I felt freaking amazing the other day. Then I could feel a cold coming on. My eyes were all stingy and watery yesterday with shivers in the evening time and this morning. My knee joints are hurting and my upper back too. Also I can feel something very slight in my throat too! Very similar to ME symptoms which I have not had for a couple of months now. Feel a little paranoid hoping it is carb flu and not ME systems again. The only thing that keeps me out of the paranoia is the sneezing!! Never had that with the ME!! Also, this would be my first ever 'cold' in over 7 years!!! I never had colds when I had ME! So in a weird sort of way I am kinda feeling like a normal human :-). That said if could be carb flu?? Don't know if you sneeze or get a sore throat with carb flu?? Oh and I have period pains too!!! There def most be something in that!!

Hope we are feeling a wee bit better tomorrow :-) would like a shot more of that Tiger Blood!!

I am on day 15 today too and today is my worst day! I felt freaking amazing the other day. Then I could feel a cold coming on. My eyes were all stingy and watery yesterday with shivers in the evening time and this morning. My knee joints are hurting and my upper back too. Also I can feel something very slight in my throat too! Very similar to ME symptoms which I have not had for a couple of months now. Feel a little paranoid hoping it is carb flu and not ME systems again. The only thing that keeps me out of the paranoia is the sneezing!! Never had that with the ME!! Also, this would be my first ever 'cold' in over 7 years!!! I never had colds when I had ME! So in a weird sort of way I am kinda feeling like a normal human :-). That said if could be carb flu?? Don't know if you sneeze or get a sore throat with carb flu?? Oh and I have period pains too!!! There def most be something in that!!

Hope we are feeling a wee bit better tomorrow :-) would like a shot more of that Tiger Blood!!

I don't know what ME is, but it sounds like you're getting sick.  The symptoms you are describing have nothing to do with Whole30 eating.  Drink some bone broth if you have it and rest as much as possible.

I was contemplating a similar post to this as well! It's almost like a second wave hangover. I'm on day 15, not expecting my period any time soon. I've been sleeping like a rock, but waking up groggy after 8 hours of sleep. I eat a sweet potato or white potato almost every day. I'm pretty busy with a 1 year old and I work out about every other day. I want coffee in the afternoons. I probably need more veggies...?

I am going to guess that you might need more food overall.  If you want some specific feedback, you can post a few days' worth of meals and folks can chime in. 

Meals the last few days-

Yesterday- ( woke up groggy, tired in afternoon, no workout)

3 fried eggs with homemade hash browns and a banana, coffee with coconut cream

Tuna salad (homemade mayo and seasoning) with carrots, romaine, celery with almond butter, a couple grapes

2 Applegate chicken sausages with green beans and strawberries

Snack- 9pm because I was starving- handful of nuts with blueberries and raisins

Today- day 15- (woke up groggy after 8 hours of sleeping like a rock). Walked 60 minutes with hills right after lunch, didn't have a PWO meal because I wasn't hungry, also having some bloating and upset stomach

2 hard boiled eggs, handful of nuts and raisins, and handful of blueberries. Coffee with coconut cream

2 small chicken thighs cooked in coconut oil, sweet potatoes with coconut oil and cinnamon, green beans, plus half a banana

Exact same thing for dinner, only larger portion

Nuts and raisins with a peach and blueberries at 10pm when I'm hungry.

Other recent meals- deviled eggs with celery and peanut butter, carrots and an apple

Chicken breast with sautéed spinach and green beans

Salmon with sweet potatoes and green beans

Can you tell I'm on a green bean kick? I burned out on cauliflower and broccoli on week one, and green beans have been one of the only other things my husband will eat with me.

See, the hungry every night thing tells me you need to eat more.  There are a couple of things you might try.  One is to look at the athletes forum and look into pre and post workout meals and see if incorporating those on a regular basis will help (even if you don't feel hungry post workout).  The other, and my first suggestion for something to try immediately, is to add a fourth full meal every day.  Another thing people often report is that they feel much better throughout the day if they eat larger breakfasts.

So yeah, basically, eat more.  Hungry at night means eat more meals, not snack and suffer.  That's the cool thing about Whole30, we're not into you going to bed hungry.  :wub:

Thank you Amy! :-) I am feeling way better today. Rested all day yesterday. ME is the same as chronic fatigue and fibro. So symptoms are fluy pains, joint and muscle pains etc. I don't mind a cold! Or even carb flu! They are all manageable.

Thanks Amy!! I woke up feeling a little better today. I only needed half a cup of coffee vs my normal cup and a half to get going, and I've already tackled a bunch of chores and tasks when normally I would lounge around while the baby naps.

I'll try bigger meals today, or maybe the 4 meals plan. Thanks again!

Hopefully you meant almond butter, as peanuts are not compliant...

YES, Almond butter! Haha I was up late writing that post and in my head thinking "did I write peanut butter?" But when I re-read it I didn't notice the mistake! I'm loving almond butter, and hope to try cashew butter soon as well

As soon as you started listing symptoms, I thought, "I bet she's about to start her period." Then you said you are. Bam.

Eat. More. Starchy. Carbs. With Every. Meal.

Seriously. I want to get this on a t-shirt. :lol: It's such a common thing - we think that we are stuffing ourselves with junk food carbs the week before our periods because we're bad girls or something; then on Whole30, just before our periods, we are so hungry for carbs (and fat. Don't forget fat!). Turns out - our bodies need more carbs before we start our periods.

Eat up, and rest more if you need to. You're right on track. :wub:

Archived