New here, on day 2, just found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant

Hello everyone.

I am new to Whole 30, on day 2, and the main reason behind starting the program was that I have been having reactions to various foods that I have been eating. Especially bread products. It seems every time I would eat breads, cheeses or starches like white potatoes, I would end up feeling nauseous for the next day or so.

Turns out... I'm 6 weeks pregnant. First pregnancy, first time doing Whole 30. I have read that doing Whole 30 while pregnant is healthy as long as you are getting all of the nutrients that both of us need.

My biggest question is this: I'm 5 foot 3 and 170 lbs. My BMI calculaor stays that I am obese. Most of my weight is carried in my very large chest (38H) and in my stomach. Healthy weight for my height and age is, at the higher end, 140. That would put me in a normal weight range. I know that it's not technically safe to lose weight during pregnancy, and that isn't my goal. My goal is to eat the best for myself and my fetus. I have heard of people losing weight on whole 30 due to the clean nature of their eating, but I was curious as to what was too much, especially while pregnant. I do not have another appointment with my doctor until the 19th of September and planned to check with her then on if it was safe or not to lose some weight while pregnant.

Also, I like making fresh juice at home, I'm not into the jucing for weeks at a time, but I do like to make fresh juice from kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, carrots, ginger, lemons and limes. Is this still healthy to drink while I'm pregnant?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give any support or advice. I have a million questions and do not know where to start!

Hi! I'm also on Day 2.

Congrats on the pregnancy!! :) I am sure your doctor will tell you not to lose weight, but may suggest limiting weight gain. I'm not a medical professional though so don't quote me on that one. Plus I think it's not uncommon for women to lose weight the first tri due to morning sickness, then add it back on in the second and third tri.

I'm in the group because I'm nursing so I don't have much to add in terms of "safe limits" of losing weight during pregnancy, but was glad to see someone else started yesterday and not on the first of the month! 

Welcome to Whole30 and congratulations. I would urge you not to be over concerned with your weight. Your doctor will have the best recommendations of course. We recommend that pregnant and breastfeeding moms eat 4 template meals a day instead of 3 to ensure you are getting enough food for you and baby. Your meals can be on the higher end of the template as well. Include lots of starchy vegetables and don't skimp on the fat.

I'm not sure if your juice is still healthy to drink while pregnant but we recommend against juicing on a Whole30 and would prefer you eat whole foods.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there- I would love to hear what your dr. said. I am also 5'3" and 170, newly pregnant and starting about 15lbs heavier than my last pregnancy where I gained an unhealthy amount of weight, so I am really hoping not to gain anything and could spare to lose a bit. I have been on a really low cab diet and am almost a little afraid to add in whole30 compliment fruit and starchy vegetables, but know I have lost 10lbs on one of my previous whole30 eating them. So I am not much help yet, but so happy to have found someone in the same boat as I am. Hope to hear what your dr said, and congratulations!!!!!!

Congrats ladies. I just found out I am 5 week-ish pregnant as well :) I am on Day 16 of my first whole 30, so I defintely want to finish it off, and then see how I want to do it moving forward. My morning sickness should kick in soon, so I am concerned how that is going to go. I was eating so much bread and pasta last time to try and make it through the morning/early afternoon.

Archived