Acid reflux? Heart burn? No idea...

Imamyloo

I'm not sure what's going on with me. As far as I know, I have not eaten anything that triggers either of these things. But I am constantly burping, and sometimes food comes up. Nothing burns (coming up or going back down), so idk if it's acid reflux or even heart burn. There also seems to be a "lump" in my throat that I can't seem to get rid of. I do not have a gallbladder, but I take a spray called bitters to help with digestion. Anyone have a clue of what could be the problem and how to solve it??

Sure I can post my food log.

Breakfast : 5 slices paleo friendly bacon, sauerkraut, organic decaf with coconut milk

Lunch: baked chicken in a little avocado oil, roasted broccoli, cauliflower, carrots with coconut oil, blueberries with coconut milk

Supper: same as lunch

Breakfast: 3 slices paleo friendly bacon, sauerkraut, organic decaf with coconut milk

Lunch: baked chicken, broccoli with purple onions

Supper: will be chicken soup, with zuchinni, squash, and celery, blueberries in coconut milk.

The bitters spray is made with gluten free grain alcohol. I'm not a fan of red meat, so I mainly eat chicken and salmon. Could it be too much protein? I usually eat 2-4 ounces at each meal.

There is no way you are eating too much protein if you are only eating 2-4 oz per meal. The meal template calls for 1-2 palms of protein per meal, so unless you have teeny tiny palms, it seems like you may be short on protein.

As for your symptoms, it could be the coconut milk; it can be irritating to the throat for some people. I know that is not exactly what you are describing as your symptoms, but it may be worth giving it up for a few days. Also, consider trying some compliant digestive enzymes with each meal.

Thanks so much. I actually started having the coconut milk because I was convinced it was the avocado doing it. I ate avocado with everything. But now I'm lost with how to get my fat in. I know the oils/fats I cook with don't count as your fat in the meal, so idk how else to get it in. Any suggestions?

• Moderators

Thanks so much. I actually started having the coconut milk because I was convinced it was the avocado doing it. I ate avocado with everything. But now I'm lost with how to get my fat in. I know the oils/fats I cook with don't count as your fat in the meal, so idk how else to get it in. Any suggestions?

Bacon is usuallyy a fat source, not a protein, so you've got plenty of fat at breakfast but need more protein.

Make mayo and put it on everything. Drizzle oil over vegetables. Sauces like chimichurri or pesto on veggies or meat. Olives, if you like them. Ghee or clarified butter.  Nuts, in small quantities -- although these can cause digestive distress, so maybe wait and don't add them until you get this figured out so you don't make it any worse.

I don't know if what you're describing is heartburn or not, it doesn't really sound like what I've experienced, but I know that eating Whole30 made the heartburn I used to get go away, so if that is what it is, stick to it and see what happens. 

Is is true that the fat we cook with doesn't count toward fat portion of a meal?

• Moderators

AprilS -- mostly, no, it doesn't. It really depends, though. Look at the pan after you cook -- is the fat still there? Or is it in the food? Fried eggs, unless you physically pour the oil from the skillet over your foods, almost all of it stays in the skillet. Scrambled eggs -- a lot of it seems to end up in the eggs instead of staying in the pan, and therefore gets eaten. If you actually consume it, you can count it. If you don't, you can't. And look at how much you added to cook in as well -- did you add a teaspoon of oil to cook in? Even if you do eat the oil from that, that isn't a thumb's worth of oil for most people.

Yeah that is acid reflux - I've the same problem it's horrible! I've read everywhere that low carb will cure it. I can get rid of my heartburn when I'm low carb but the 'lump in the throat' feeling seems impossible to get rid of! Maybe try without the coconut milk for a while? 

Archived