Days you have the "hungers"....

What do you do on the days when you just are hungry - like keep on eating and still want to eat hunger? Today is one of those days for me and it is taking everything not to just eat everything in sight. I am eating on the program, but even too much food can't be good. There is no way I should still be hungry.

I have also had a TON of water, so I know I am not thirsty.

Definitely having one of those days today. I think it started with a stupidly small breakfast (because I wasn't in the mood to cook) and I've been picking & snacking all day :(

I haven't mastered the whole not snacking thing on my W30...but I still have another 12 days to try resolve that issue.

I'm having the same day! Weird. I know my breakfast was balanced (ample fat and protein) but I was hungry for lunch an hour sooner. Decided to have it, and was still hungry after that so ate my snack already too. I really don't know what to attribute it to, but I agree it's frustrating. Maybe our bodies will balance it out later in the week?

I'm only on Day 10, but I found that I was dealing with more hunger and cravings the first week than I am at this point. Strategies I used were the common ones... water, distraction with tasks or exercise, sheer willpower (sometimes lacking, lol), or failing those, a balanced snack with some protein and fat.

Woah, I couldn't stop snacking today too! I kept reaching for almonds and nuts..those things are addictive if I am not careful :(

Maybe you should try upping your fat-intake? Are you just eating a lot of veggies or fibre? I find that fibre doesn't satisfy my hunger like fat does.

I'm curious to see what a mod says, but on those days I just let myself eat! I've lost weight on every W30 I've done and during each one I've had insatiable days... and I make sure I stay on plan, but I eat! In my mind being able to eat when I'm hungry is one of the joys of the Whole30.

I did read this somewhere (Johnny's log?): "If you aren't hungry enough to eat a vegetable, you aren't hungry." For me that is excellent advice, and on insatiable days I make sure that every time I eat I do eat a vegetable (plus other stuff, but if I don't want the vegetable my index of suspicion goes up... am I really hungry? Or is something else going on?)

Thank you all - I feel like I ate through the vegetable drawer yesterday. However, I didn't go off plan. Today I brought snacks with a higher fat and protein content to work. Hopefully, that will help take the edge off the hunger.

Can anyone relate to the feeling of being comfortably full after a meal but then become hungry again an hour or two later? I am not sure if I need more of something or if I need to just keep at it and that feeling will eventually go away?

I know exactly how you feel. It can be hard to differentiate between a craving and true hunger. One strategy that works pretty well for me is to figure out whether I'd still be hungry if I only had the most bland of nutritious food to choose from. If I find myself gravitating towards something that is delicious and willing to turn down something less exciting, then I try another strategy to get past the craving. Sometimes drinking some water, a bit of exercise or mental engagement such as reading or something else will help. But, if you truly are hungry and willing to eat anything... then eat! :)

• 1 month later...

Probably everyone has those days, and I'm sure there are a variety of reason as to why it happens (depending on the person, circumstances...). So long as I'm certain I'm hungry (and not just imagining sugar or just stressed out), I eat. But, I don't eat carbs. I only eat fats, proteins, and/or leafy greens. Like, I'll have a can of tuna in olive oil, and avocado, or kale chips. That stuff is the most satisfying.

For me, the goal is to keep eating healthy for life. It's hard to do that if I'm laying guilt trips on myself for "eating too much." I believe my body has the ability to tell me the truth - I'm actually hungry or I'm stressed or I'm tired or I'm sick, and so forth. You know, once you start feeding it good food instead of the crap that puts it's signals out of whack.

Archived