Keep Calm and Carry On For 60 Days

GoJo09

Hey GoJo,

I appreciated all that you had to say.  Sounds like you are doing a good job of listening to you body and moods and figuring out what works and what doesn't.   We don't even know what the consequences are (i.e., cause and effect) if we don't pay attention.

I started my rolling reentry.  My original plan was W30, then my son started and I agreed to finish with him.  So he is done!  He did it 100%!  I did 50 days.  Now I want to stay on W30 except for special situations.

So yesterday I had a small no sugar margarita with teammates to celebrate the last cycling event of the season.  I felt good about my choice and I stayed on the W30 with everything else.  

B: bulletproof coffee w 2 eggs

62 mile ride.  During the ride:  1 can coconut water, 2 larabars, 1/2 orange

L:  Shrimp stir fry with peppers, onions, tomatoes and avocado  1 small margarita.  NO CHIPS, BEANS, RICE or CHEESE!

D:  Well Fed's Pad Thai, puree of cauliflower, carrot and parsnips, apple and a few pecans

After distance season ends, I will still ride my road bike, it just gets too cold to ride the longer distances.  I will also spend more time doing cyclocross.  I will continue with the cardio-weight training class.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly - in the past I would have just been angry and negative and thought it was my friend's fault for not inviting me for ice cream! I don't want to be restrictive, and whole 30 (despite it's obvious restrictions lol) doesn't feel restrictive to me anymore. Carb Nite did.

It's so crazy, the past few days I've been craving Brandy! I think I might have to go out with friends for a cocktail on my birthday :-). Well done having the drink and not having all of the other non-compliant things available! How did you feel afterwards?

I really need to make the pad thai - I've never actually seen sunbutter though, I have to do an iherb order so I'll see if I can get some there.

Today's plan is very loose, as I don't know what I'm doing today (I'm still in bed at 8am!):

coconut chai

Osso bucco

roast lamb

And then I might be meeting friends for a swim and fish and chips on the beach for dinner. I'll just have grilled fish and salad if we do that.

Hi GoJo

Happy almost birthday!  When is it?  The Pad Thai is yummy.  The 3d time I made it was best.  I doubled the coconut aminos and lime juice.  I used chicken and shrimp.  

I felt fine after the margarita.  I thought it might make me feel tipsy since I haven't had alcohol for so long but it didn't.  That is remarkable.  I think W30 must have healed my blood sugar because I just felt so stable physically and mentally after the drink.  I had forgotten about that.  Thanks for asking.

I love this blog.  It helps me know myself and the consequences of what and how much I put in my body.  I had a dream last night about weighing.  I am nervous about that.  I think I will wait til the 60 day mark.  Thoughts?

Yesterday I went to cyclocross practice for about an hour and a half in the morning.  We are having the most beautiful weather of the year.  I was tempted to keep riding but knew I needed rest so I came home.  My family room has windows on the whole N and S wall  with a fireplace and windows on the E, so its like being outside.  My daughter was home from college this weekend, so we just watched movies all afternoon.  I feel really good today after the rest.  I did have a moment where the sitting around started making me anxious "I'm wasting the day"  but then I thought no, I am choosing to spend the day like this.  I slept a bit and felt better.

Your life sounds really good with  the friends, cookout, beach!  I'm jealous that you live by the ocean.  On the sun butter, if you have a really good blender or food processor you could just make your own.

So, I had wine last night.  My husband opened a really nice bottle of red and I had a glass with him.  It was good.  But today I need to get back on W30.  I did appreciate the little break though, and I did not eat anything else off plan or overeat.  

B:  Sausage and egg scramble with green pepper and onion.  Cauliflower, carrot and parsnip

Few bites of leftover B after WO

L:  Leftover Pad Thai, Cauliflower, carrot and parsnip

D:  Steak, baba gannoush, peppers and onions, small baked potato w butter, glass of red wine

That's fantastic that the alcohol didn't affect you, and didn't create sugar cravings the next day.

My birthday is the first weekend in November, so still a wee way away :-).

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I'm going to weigh myself at all. I know how much the scales affect my mood, and there's no rain why I need to know exactly what I weigh, so I'm going to let it go. I'd actually be happy to get rid of the scales, but my flatmate uses them often.

I didn't end up going to the beach yesterday (I'm about 30 mins drive from the nearest beach, and parking is often difficult) - I was really smashed from the hike on Sunday and I enjoyed the day just watching tv. It was very lazy but I haven't done it in ages. I did end up eating far too much roast lamb while I was sitting around though. I must have eaten about 500g throughout the afternoon/evening!

Today's plan:

Breakfast - osso buco over baby greens

Gym

Lunch - leftover steak, broccolini and asparagus

Dinner - eggs and Asian slaw, crudités and mayo, and a coconut cocoa.

I need to start having post-wo food - I have lunch really soon after but I might make some sweet potato and chicken mince patties to have straight after.

Yesterday I did the 5:45am cardio/weights class then came home so tired.  That is what happens to me when I am getting sick.  My husband has had some kind of respiratory infection and I was exposed.  So I took a day off work to rest.  I did a few things around the house in the morning and slept all afternoon.  Then went to 5:15pm yoga with my daughter.  I felt so much better after resting Sun/Mon.  I am so glad you had a lazy Sunday, too.

Back to work today.  There is a cycloscross race tonight.  I'll see how I feel.  

B:  Scrambled eggs, 1 pc.bacon, cauliflower, carrot & parsnip puree (I made a lot and I seem to be the only one eating this.  Fortunately I like it)

L:  Salmon, peppers and onions,  baba g., turnip, pineapple

D:  Kombucha, beef brisket, brussels sprouts, potato and turnips.  Decaf w coconut cream.

WooHoo!  No snacks, nuts or Larabars.  :-)  So this may be a dumb question, but do you have Netflix in Australia?  I rarely watch TV but there are some shows on there I really like.  Right now we are hooked on "Blacklist."  This weekend we watched 2 movies I loved: "A Room with a View" and "Enchanted April"

Are you on Facebook?

Morning! It was a long weekend here, so it was a 'rest' day Monday me - which has messed up my gym schedule but was totally worth it (although I should have at least gone for a walk).

Sounds like your day off is exactly what the doctor would have ordered! I get a chest or sinus infection every couple of months - it's quite ridiculous. No where near as bad as they used to be (where I'd be up all night coughing and unable to sleep), but I'm so healthy I feel I should never get sick!

We don't have Netflix (unless you skirt around the location thing) but I subscribe to the equivalent, QuickFlix. They don't have anywhere near the amount of stuff and you have to pay extra for anything new or popular, but I like it for catching up on older shows, I'm currently watching Justified. I've heard of Blacklist, I'll look it up.

Yeah, I l liked that article by Melissa. Always interesting to hear how others cope/fare.

Food today:

B'fast - Osso buco with greens again. Over this, chucking the rest in the freezer. Plus a coconut chai.

Lunch - out for a work lunch. Had a cauliflower and beetroot salad and got them to swap the chickpeas and goats cheese for poached chicken. Not sure what it was but I am now bloated hideously. I couldn't figure out why my belt was digging in all afternoon then I went to the bathroom and saw how popped out my stomach was! I guess I should call them and ask for a full ingredient list so I can figure it out.

Pre-wo - half piece of steak and some olives. And the I decided I had to go into the city instead of the gym. Nice work. (Did buy a great new multi sport watch though!)

Dinner - the rest of the steak, sweet potato chunks, hard boiled eggs, zoodles with sundried tomatoes.

Went to work yesterday.  Still just a little under the weather.  Skipped cyclocross last night.  Didn't like it, but it was the best choice to finish getting better, I guess.  Felt a little depressed.  Don't know if it was from being sick or what.  I should pay attention to see if it is from the wine I had Sunday.  

B:  Eggs scrambled w sausage, b. sprouts, potato and thai chili pepper

L:  Leftovers from breakfast plus pear and larabar

D:  Kombucha, shepard's pie topped w mashed turnips; cabbage; butternut squash, decaf w coconut cream

Sardine cakes are just a beaten egg, mash in a tin of sardines (so all the bones are broken up - if they're in oil to that in, otherwise drain them and add a tablespoon of olive oil), then mix a tablespoon of coconut flour. Fry spoonfuls in coconut oil, not too long or they'll dry out.

Wow, THANKS for this!  My first sardines experience today was very, very good.  :)  We did not even dip them in anything.  I didn't even add any seasonings.  They were just perfect.  Thanks again!

Wow, THANKS for this!  My first sardines experience today was very, very good.   :)  We did not even dip them in anything.  I didn't even add any seasonings.  They were just perfect.  Thanks again!

Yay, glad to hear it! I still haven't moved on from sardine cakes - I can't quite handle the bones and bits and pieces unadulterated yet :). But I'm getting those good things in, and that's the main thing.

April, I'm thinking we should move over to the post-Whole 30 log area, what do you think? I'd like to keep tracking/chatting, as I want to do a rolling reintro with proper Whole 30 in between, but I also know that there are things coming up that I'm going to deem "worth it" - eg. tomorrow I'm going to the food trucks at the park for dinner (where I doubt there'll be any W30 choices, although I will be selective), and then we might go to the super fancy ice cream place afterwards. The food trucks are only on once a month during daylight savings, so it's not a weekly event, and I know it will be good. But I want the structure of W30 for a bit longer, to make sure one meal doesn't derail me for a weekend.

Today's food:

Coconut cream cocoa while driving to an early physio appointment

Exercises at physio and then walk 25 mins to work

Breakfast - 3 eggs, cucumber and cherry tomatoes (had mayo, but it split and it didn't look appetising

Lunch - green chicken curry on spinach and rocket leaves

Pre-WO - hardboiled egg

Swim for 45-60 mins (first swim in ages, so will see how long it takes to get tired!)

Post-WO - small handful of sweet potato cubes

Dinner - either roast lamb and broccolini or osso buco (that I didn't get around to putting in the freezer yet...)

Hi GoJo

Yes it would be fine to switch to the post Whole30 area.  Just let me know where.  I am grateful to keep chatting during the re-entry.  I have not wanted any off W30 food yet, but have had alcohol a few times now.  Anyway, I think it is important to keep track of my choices and their consequences.  Plus I look forward to seeing what you have to say every day.

Yesterday was good.  Plenty of energy at work.  Did the Wednesday night ride, a 30 mile hilly ride that I do with my team.  It stops at the end of October bc of daylight savings time, which means it will be dark by like 5:30 eventually.  My energy was really good.  So relieved.

I bought RX Bars to try bc W30 recommends them.  Got a little carried away... 3 in one day.  One bar has 4 egg whites, 1 date, 1 fig and 8 almonds, so not terrible, but 3 is still too many.  We'll see if I continue to have a problem.  If so, off they go.

B:  leftover Shepherd's pie, Rx bar

L:  leftover steak and cabbage, Rx bar

on bike:  Rx bar, coconut water

After riding: one boiled egg, tequila

D:  NomNom Paleo's Cowboy Chili.  with avocado and onion.

It looks funny when I write it like that.  But it makes it real.  It helps me to acknowledge my choices.  Plus it probably took the place of other food.  Oh well, time to move on.  

So are you comfortable telling me about yourself?  What work you do or whatever you like to share?  I am an immigration attorney and I work for a non-profit helping poor people, mainly hispanics.  I speak Spanish so that helps.  I love my job and my clients.  I have 3 kids.  I love love love my bike and my team.  And I really like to cook and travel.  Two long term struggles have been having a healthy relationship with food and my body.  

Here's a new topic I started for us in the post-Whole 30 section :)http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/22508-keeping-calm-and-carrying-on/

Wow, I'm so envious of you speaking another language. I've tried a few times in the past few years to learn, but I'm a bit half-hearted about it, plus I think when you're learning you need to have a friend or someone to practice with constantly. I work for a book publisher, doing the scheduling and handling the printing for all of the locally produced books. I love working here, but I've been doing it for a long time and find it a bit boring - it's really time to move on, I just need to motivate myself to do it.

i go through phases of cooking - sometimes I'll cook constantly, others I'll just prep basic food and eat it repetitively all week. I think only having to cook for myself plays in to that a lot - my flatmate and I did used to share food and cooking, but when I started eating paleo it coincided with her going through a period of intermittent fasting and she got a bit annoyed as it was more expensive for her and she wasn't eating as much, so we decided to go our own ways. Which I don't mind, actually.

Archived