Keep Calm and Carry On For 60 Days

GoJo09

Good morning.  Glad your coffee cutting down is going well.  I am going to 5:45 weights/cardio again this morning, and a big (road) bike ride at 5:00 tonight.  In between I am going to the Capitol to watch my daughter's swearing in ceremony as an attorney.  

B:  bulletproof coffee, left over sausage and egg scramble with spinach and sweet potato

L:  Ground beef, steamed spinach and a small avocado

just before the cyclocross race:  coconut water and a larabar

D:  Steak, butternut squash, steam broccoli with Hollandaise sauce, about 2 T slivered almonds and raisins

Was planning on waking up at 5, woke up at 4:20.  Grrr  Wanting to sleep a little more.

GoJo, do you work outside the home?  Have a family?  Just curious.  Have a lovely evening,

April

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh you must be so proud of your daughter! No, no family, just a lazy flatmate I have to pick up after! I'm 33, BTW. I have an office job, and it's pretty low stress most of the time, plus some of my best friends work there too, so it's not usually a chore.

How do you feel on days you do 2 lots of cardio? I ran a half marathon earlier this year, picked up some long term injuries and since then I've been following Everyday Paleo's plan (JassaFIT. com) which basically is do as much walking as you can, and lift heavy weights and do short metcons or sprints 2-3x a week. I feel less pressure this way, and I starting to see some good muscle.

Today's food (day 38):
Breakfast: bulletproof chai, pulled pork and steamed vege
Ex: either long walk or gym (weather dependent)
Lunch: beef curry (don't live this but have 4 more serves in the freezer!).

2nd lunch (Because I wasn't full or satisfied): small handful of coconut flakes2 hard boiled eggs and an avocado salad with olive oil and lemon dressing.
indoor climbing
Dinner: chocolate meatballs and cocoa cauliflower (I'll eat this on the train home from climbing probably)

Didn't end up exercising yesterday - was really tired and a bit sore from Tuesday's workouts, so sat down and read for an hour instead.

{Edit: Didn't end up exercising today, either - it was raining at lunchtime, so no walk. I debated going to the gym, but I'm meant to do my 1RM shoulder press, and that's not compatible with climbing. But now I feel so poorly that I don't want to climb tonight either - I've had an upset stomach all day, and I'm back to feeling really tired in the afternoons. Bed and a DVD is sounding really good right about now.}

Wow, Congrats on the half marathon!  But sorry to hear about the injuries.  Sounds like you have a great recovery plan. 

It has been three weeks since I added the MWF 5:45 cardio/weights class.  The first couple weeks I was very tired on the days I rode my bike and did the class.  Now is week three and I feel great.  Yesterday I got up and did the class, then went to my daughter's ceremony two hours away by car, came home and then rode my bike 30 miles (a hard hilly ride).  I had my best ride in months.  I shaved at least 20 minutes off my time.  It was very encouraging.  Yay for Whole30!!!

Yesterday was an all around good day!  I was proud of my daughter.  I am an attorney too and it was fun to share all that with her.  We get along really really well.  Nice to have a common profession.  We went out to eat at a nice restaurant afterwards with my husband (her dad) and her husband.  She had a glass of champagne and they had wine.  The restaurant sent desert for her and the boys all ordered some too.  

"Celebration"  is one of my traditional weaknesses.  I love to have fun and celebrate.  In the past that meant joining in the eating and drinking.  I counted it a major victory yesterday that I stayed happily W30 compliant.  It was a victory on two fronts, one that I stated on W30 & two that I cared about what I thought rather than worrying about what others would think.  They did not mind, but sometimes I have felt like a wet blanket not joining in the drinking, desert etc. Does that make sense?

Then I had my ride, no extra fuel.  Excited that the fat burner thing must be working.  NO treats after dinner either.  Including no Larabars haha.

So I feel pretty happy about yesterday.  Very encouraging to see progress.  I think W30 is a safety net to me.  I never want to return to the old ways, but not just sure what the new life will look like after W30.  

Haha about messy flatmate :-)  I know what it feels like to be the tidy one!

Day 39 Food:

B:  Zucchini soup, scrambled eggs w sausage and broccoli

L:  Salmon, mixed greens, olive oil

On bike:  1/2 can coconut water

Post wo:  egg salad

D:  left over eggs/sausage etc from Breakfast plus left over butternut squash

NO NUTS!  :-)

Always fun chatting w you GoJo.

Your day sounds lovely April - good on you for not giving in to perceived peer pressure. Remember, people aren't thinking aboutuus anywhere near as much as we think they are! I admit, I miss having the odd drink and keep thinking of times/places that are fun with a wine or beer, but it's just not good for me (I'm a cheap drunk with a family history of alcoholism, which is a very good reason to stay away from it).

I don't know what happened last night but after dinner I ended up eating coconut cream with a spoon and the last of the shredded pork. Not like I was hungry, I just wasn't satisfied I guess. Plus I was baking muffins to take to work (wasn't tempted to eat them, but it still felt like I needed to eat something compliant just in case, you know?).

I also woke up at 2.45am from a bad dream and pretty much didn't go back to sleep, so today will be a long day! I should have gone for a walk at about 5.30, but I just couldn't be bothered and convinced myself it was still miserable outside. Of course it's beautiful ;-).

Anyway had a big breakfast and I might see if I can take a half day today. I'll get to the gym at lunch time either way.

Day 39 (it seems like 60 is a long way off!)

5.45am: Bulletproof chai - my little frother has run out of battery so the oil just sat on top and I felt a bit queasy by the time I finished it.

7.30am: sautéed capsicum and chicken (mix of breast and thigh) with mayo, spoonful of pâté, chai w coconut cream.

Gym around 12.30 or 1

Lunch: broccoli, asparagus and zucchini and 2 cocoa meatballs

Dinner: roast silverbeet with mayo and sautéed prawns

Sorry about your bad dream.  A sleepless night can really wreck the next day.  I am having trouble sleeping past 4:00am on the days I wo at 5:45.  I don't like it, but I am getting 7 hours sleep so I guess i can live with it for now.  I should probably reduce coffee intake.  I am just not ready to give up the morning cups.

Thanks for sharing re: alcohol.  I have had a dicey relationship with drinking too.  I went years without while my kids were little, but last year had wine almost every night. Even when I didn't drink too much, it messed up other things, like eating too much and low energy.  So I have loved the alcohol free zone in W30, but don't know what I want to do when its over.  I would like to just have a little from time to time on special occasions.  I do not want to degenerate into drinking every night.  My husband does that and can suck me in.  :-(    So are you just not drinking at all when you are done w W30?

Yes I know what you mean about eating more bc I'm just not satisfied, even if I'm not hungry.  I am still working on healthy reasons for eating and eating the right quantity.  So good to be able to talk about it.

Here is a quote from the 'Dear Melissa' Blog on Whole30.com:

"I’ve discovered the foods that make me healthier, the foods that make me less healthy, and which in the latter category are still worth it. I know how often, how much, how many days in a row I can indulge, I know the consequences of my choices, and thanks to what I’ve learned, I have such a healthy relationship with my food that I no longer spend even a moment in the throes of guilt, shame, or remorse." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-1/#sthash.U6jRrlKk.dpuf"

That sounds really good to me, but I know I am not there yet!  I have a feeling she worked on her healthy relationship with food for quite a while herself.  

Day 40 Food:

B:  yellow squash soup, scrambled eggs, coffee w coconut cream

S: Beef Jerky (was having a late lunch w a friend)

L: Salmon, lettuce, olive oil, Larabar after at my desk, not enough veg options at Lunch  

D: Kombucha, Tilapia, more soup, cocoa cauliflower, sautéed apples w a few raisins

Wow!  The cocoa cauliflower was so delicious!  Thanks for the recommendation.

Have a great day. 

I'm still torn about drinking - how does one deem an occasion "worth" drinking at? And while one beer at a nice beer garden on a Saturday afternoon sounds lovely, so does a beer on a Friday night on the balcony... I actually didn't drink for 6 weeks in June-July, just because, and then went on holiday where I drank 2 or 3 times in 2 weeks (others were drinking every night) and then straight in to Whole 30 when I got back from holiday.

Hopefully once you're more accustomed to the early workouts, you'll be able to sleep later - it's probably the anxiety about missing the alarm that's making you wake so early.

The cauliflower is great, isn't it? Although since I've eaten two entire cauliflowers this week, it might take a wee break from it - sometimes it's lucky I'm single!

I've noticed the past few days that I'm starting to look like I'm losing weight - my arms are slimmer, and my shoulders/clavicle/chest are looking good. This would probably explain the overeating the past few days. Because, yup, I did it again this afternoon. I foolishly bought coconut butter (just because I went to a store near home and they had it) which I always end up just eating with a spoon. So I've eaten a large serving of that over the course of the afternoon/evening. Thankfully it's far too rich to be able to eat very much. I think it clearly belongs in the category of foods that aren't healthy for me. (That's a good blog post, thanks for the link.) So, the coconut butter will be pushed to the back of the cupboard for a week or so.

I am quite proud that, even though I have non-compliant food in the house, I wasn't tempted to touch any of it - it didn't appeal to me at all.

I did end up taking a half day off today, which messed up my gym schedule, meaning I've only been once this week. I'm happy to report, though, that I'm not beating myself up about it - life happens. Plus I've got a massive hike planned for tomorrow which will be a long day with a lot of climbing, so probably for the best not to wear my muscles out prior. (Trying incredibly hard to avoid saying that I'll burn off all the calories I overconsumed today...)

I finally bought coconut aminos for the first time. I made sunshine sauce from Well Fed to have with the prawns. Except, I didn't have sunbutter, or red pepper flakes, or lime juice. So I used tahini, lemon juice and smoked paprika - I'm sure it's nothing like the original recipe, but it's fantastic - I've named it Awesome Sauce :)

HI GoJo!

I read the Dear Melissa Blog entries and feel much better about the journey after W30!  Have you read them?  Here is a link to my favorite one:

http://whole30.com/2014/04/dear-melissa-take-whole30-red-pill/

I love the quote:

"Not to get all Zen on you or anything, but the Whole30 is like a form of enlightenment—what has been seen cannot be unseen. Feeling in control of your food choices proves to you that you can live your life that way. Experiencing true awareness of how food affects your body and brain is evidence that you can have a happier, healthier, more vibrant life. The sense of self-confidence that comes from successfully completing the program shows you that you can do hard things, and make changes you thought were impossible. It’s like taking the red pill (or was it the blue one? I haven’t seen The Matrix in a long time…). Once you see the life you were meant to live, you cannot go back to your old life. Even if old habits or old thought processes creep back, you are not the same person. And you never will be again. 

Once you start down this path of making deliberate choices, cultivating awareness, experimenting on yourself, and reaping the benefits, you will never want to stop, because every effort you make teaches you something more about yourself, the kind of life you want to live, and the power you have to make that life happen."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/04/dear-melissa-take-whole30-red-pill/#sthash.7n47kM4j.dpuf

I know its kind of long but so good!  The Whole Dear Melissa series is great.  She talks about how it took her three years to get to the place i quoted yesterday.

​I love the quote, "what your eyes have seen, they cannot unsee"  and how life happens, we occasionally fall off, then we just get back on.  No guilt.  

​I feel happy and full of hope for the ability to continue to make good choices and grow in self awareness.  I feel empowered!  :-)

Today I am signed up for a 100 mile bike ride.  Yikes!  Always a challenge, but I am wondering if I can physically complete it wo out my traditional fueling options.

I am planning on a sweet potato, boiled eggs and a couple larabars.  Plus coconut water.  I will see if the fat burning thing is working for that distance!  I can always take a split off for a shorter distance if need be.

Not much time this morning, friends coming for me at 6:30am

Day 41 

B:  Bulletproof coffee, thai green curry w chicken, zucchini soup

L: Salad w salmon, egg, avocado, Larabar

D: Shrimp in garlic butter, W30 compliant gnocchi, 1/4 acorn squash, more cocoa cauliflower!  apples and raisins

Wish me luck today!

Have a great ride! I think you'll be fine if you've been practicing with those foods. Similarly, I did a 24km hike yesterday, with 1000m total ascent and descent (2 mountains of 500m ↑↓ each - the last climb was 900 stairs! Ouch. I was starting to worry half way because it was an ultra low carb day and I felt like I was so slow on the hills, but my recovery was fine, I think it's just been awhile since I've climbed that many stairs! Was a long day though - up at 4.45, 2 hrs on the train, then 7 hrs hiking and home again. Had a long bath, stuffed some food in my mouth and was in bed by 8.20 :-)

I'll have to subscribe to the Dear Melissa blog - I haven't read it before. I'll have a squizz through the archive today. Thanks!

Was that shrimp in butter or ghee? Just wondering if you're slipping a few things back in as you go through this next 30. I know I've been less stringent about questioning things (ie. I know my sausages were gluten free with no nasties, but I didn't query if they had sugar in them and I suspect they did).

Day 40 (yesterday)
2 sardine fritters and 2 HB eggs
2 tins of tuna in oil mixed with ajvar; capsicum dipped in mayo; 2 more eggs; handful each of almonds and coconut flakes; couple of small pieces of dried mango
2 salted caramel and ginger sausages with tahini sunshine sauce

Day 41
Capsicum with pâté and chai with coconut oil
Walk and brunch with friends - probably bacon, eggs and tomato and an Almond milk latte coconut karracha chicken on rocket, with green mayo and fermented vege, plus an almond milk chai cacao latte
Dinner is a mystery - I have to get to the supermarket and butcher after brunch. some roast pork, plus an unwich: steak, tangy bbq sauce, grilled pineapple and baby spinach

Hope you're enjoying the race today!

HI GoJo

I did it! The whole 100 miles.  First time to take my W30 legs on a big ride.  I am so happy!  I had so much energy, even at the last ten miles I had a burst of speed and finished really strong.  That was very encouraging.  For I while on W30 I just felt tired and slow all the time.  And I did not need much fuel.  I am still trying to figure that out, but that is normal for cyclists.

Actually I did use clarified butter.  I have been 100% strict on the 2d W30.   I tend to be a black and white person.  So if I start to compromise, there is no telling where I would end up.  :-)

I am really love the Dear Melissa blog for that very reason.  She is helping me figure out my template for life after W30.  Sounds  a lot like life on W30 but with allowances for special food or special occasions with returns to this way of eating in between.  I can live with that.  That plus a serious W30 thrown in for a reset when needed.  I love her approach, no guilt, just consequences.  Never going back, just working it out til it is right for me.  I seriously DO NOT want to go back to a crazy out of control relationship with my body, food or alcohol.  I am so much happier now.  I feel tike I have been looking for this information me whole life.

Your hike sounds amazing. I wish I could see photos.  It sounds like a long day and you managed food well!

Here is mine:

B: Bulletproof coffee, eggs w beets, sweet potato and sausage
L:  No lunch per se.  Was on the bike from 8-3.  Snacks on bike:  1 1/2 cans coconut water, 3 larabars, some grapes

Post ride 2 Kombucha (I am really proud of not even wanting the wine or beer that everyone has after a big ride like this one)

D:  zucchini soup topped w a little leftover sausage from B.  Shrimp and Steak, 1/2 baked potato 1/8 acorn squash

Off to cyclocross training camp this am

I actually love kombucha and am quite happy to have that when others are having a drink. I wish it was available to pubs- that would make life so easy!

Well done on the bike ride! That's such a fantastic effort. And I'm so glad you had the energy sans sugar! Perhaps that's what Tiger blood really comes down to.

I think I had some of the ol' Tiger blood yesterday (either that our I was manic :-) ): woke up at my normal 5.45 (on a Sunday!), had a cup of tea in bed, hung out two loads of washing, changed my sheets, put away the piles of clothes on the bed/floor, met friends for a 9 km walk and brunch, did groceries, slow cooked a pork roast, made a green curry, made chicken meatballs, made tangy bbq sauce (paleomg -awesome), painted my toe nails, vacuumed the flat, cooked some steak and pork ribs on the bbq - basically didn't sit down all day, was singing all afternoon, and felt great!

Plus it got to 1.30 and I realised I hadn't had a coffee yet! I think that's a great sign up not physically addicted to it, at least.

I'll make some time this afternoon to read Dear Melissa - I know what you mean about the crazy relationship with food, that's the main reason I've turned this in to a 60 day thing.

I'll come back in fill in my food for today and yesterday once I've decided whether today is low carb or high carb (I'm thinking one more low carb day)

OK, Day 42:

Breakfast: spoonful of pate, 2 eggs, 1 piece of bacon, chicken meatball, coleslaw with mayo, coconut chai x2

Gym

Lunch: green chicken curry with broccoli and zucchini

Dinner: Asian beef and capsicum (I marinated steak in oil and coconut aminos and cooked it on the bbq last night, so I'll just slice that up and have with some thinly sliced red capsicum), roast silverbeet, plus a pork chop sliced up and served over baby spinach, with a spoonful of creamy tahini sauce on top.

Hi guys! So sorry for the radio silence - family angst, jewish holidays, work, etc have kept me off the forum for a little bit!

I am still on plan and am SO impressed with and proud of you both!!

I am in Chicago for a work trip right now. This is definitely going to be a challenge! I ate in the hotel restaurant, asked a billion questions and while nothing SEEMED non-compliant, I feel kind of funky and my stomach started bloating almost immediately. Four more days...OY.

Wow GoJo!  That's a lot of energy!  And without coffee!  Congrats on that.

And welcome back Fran, you persevered through a lot!

Yesterday was my cyclocross clinic.  From 8am-noon riding in the grass carrying my bike over obstacles, learning the running dismount etc.  It was a great work out and really fun.  It was also stressful for me, all new and a little scary.

I overate yesterday.  I had the hundred mile bike ride on Sat. and 4 hours cyclocross on Sunday, so I probably needed a bit extra, but I had too much. Melissa has an article "Because Stress..."   talking about how we respond to stress by eating.  Well I didn't go off plan, but I did use food in an unhealthy way.  I got home about 2:00 Sunday and spent the rest of the day laying by the pool reading.  I had a cumulative tired from the weekend plus sometimes it is uncomfortable to rest, plus PMS.   So this morning I threw away a package of raisins that kept calling my name.  

Day 43 food:

B:  Bulletproof coffee x2 (I was running late)

S:  1 Larabar and coconut water during the clinic

L:  Roast chicken, few bites steak, boiled egg, spinach and carrots

S:  Almonds and raisins

D:  Zucchini soup, duck breast, Brussels sprouts, 'roasted, potato, onion and mushroom,'  an apple (smallish servings of everything, but still...)

S:  Pecans and raisins. >:-(

Well done staying on track with all that going on, Fran - I don't know much about Jewish holidays, but I imagine they're food-centric much like every other holiday/occasion?

April, I read through a tonne of the Whole 9 and Dear Melissa blogs yesterday (quiet day at work LOL). I think I like them even more now. I love how honest Melissa was about it taking 3 years before she came to know her body and needs well.

I'm sure you were tired yesterday! Relaxing by the pool sounds ideal. But raisins are just too tempting, esp when paired with nuts - I often pick them up at the supermarket, because they are so juicy and delicious, and I'm sure I'll add them to a salad... Lucky o have enough brains to always put them down again - I just need to use some of that decision-making prowess on the nuts! Although the bag I bought for hiking on the weekend have been clearly earmarked for hiking only, no snacking, and that seems to have helped (although I haven't faced a real test yet).

Day 43 (Carb refeed day):

Breakfast : scrambled eggs w tangy bbq sauce on zoodles

Gym

Lunch: green chicken curry on rice noodles (I've decided to intro rice once a week on my high carb days. I know that's not Whole 30. But I was struggling to get enough carbs and it's innocuous enough - and I'm not a huge rice lover anyway. Thoughts? )

Afternoon tea: sweet potato oven chips

Dinner: mashed potatoes and beef gravy

Yesterday after my workout, my legs just decided to stop working properly, it was quite funny actually, I had to consciously think about picking up each foot and moving the muscles to take a step. (Workout was leg based and i put in effort, but not so hard as all that). I was telling my flatmate last night and she said it sounded like I needed carbs (she's a dietician) so perhaps I should have had the high carb day yesterday like I originally thought.

Hi Everybody,

Well, I guess I didn't have enough brains to put the raisins down on Sunday but I did have enough brains to throw them away on Monday, haha.  And I threw away the pecans last night, too.  I am trying to learn from my mistakes.  In retrospect, I think first I was overtired (a kind of stress.)   Now I know to be on guard against potentially bad use of food when way overtired/stressed.  I need to find some other kind of self care.  

Second, I am trying to figure out how much food I need based on the amount of activity.  When I was less active, I could go by hunger and fullness, but for intense and prolonged activity we are told to eat before we are hungry.  Even W30 advises to eat a little something both pre- and post- work out, in addition to meals.  All that being said, I want to be aware, mindful of how much I am eating and why.  I think the self awareness helps me to make changes for next time.  

In furtherance of the mindful eating, I reread the chapter in It Starts With Food about how to eat.  I am bad at eating at my desk and reading something interesting while I eat.  So yesterday I ate my lunch outside, enjoyed the beautiful weather and did not read.  It felt weird to concentrate on the food.  But ultimately probably more satisfying  than mindlessly eating while entertaining myself with the computer.  This is only a problem for me at lunch.  I did read for a while after I finished lunch.

GoJo, I agree that the Dear Melissa Blog is amazing.  It helps me feel like I'm not alone with my struggles for healthy to feel normal.  It is very empowering.  Chatting with you and Fran is very helpful too.  I hope we can continue to keep in touch when this W60 ends.  

I don't know about the rice.  Ultimately it is up to you.  You already completed your W30 and half of another.  But I guess technically its not W30 anymore if you change the rules.  You could think of it as the "Rolling Re-entry"  they are starting to go to instead of the 10 day re-intoduction phase.  If its just carbs you want, what about sweet or white potatoes and banana or dates?  Either way, I think you have been very successful!

DAY 45- halfway through W30 #2!

5:45 WO- power sculpt, still full from last night, didn't eat first

B:  Brussels sprouts with poached egg, zucchini soup

L:  green curry w chicken, zucchini soup, cantaloupe

S:  Larabar (hungry)

After work:  Rode my bike an hour for 20 miles. Water only on the bike, Kombucha after

D:  Burger, sweet potato, zucchini soup, a few pecans

Hello friends! Greetings from blustery Chicago. I am super proud of all of us - this is a tough row we're hoeing  but the positive life change will be worth it!

My struggles right now are

1) Travel

2) PMS

Even when I was with my family the other week, I had a car, a stove, and time. Now I'm in a hotel, no car, working 16 hours a day, and am at the mercy of the hotel kitchen. It is revelatory. This is hard when you have such limited control. Next time I travel, I will be better prepped with my own foods. I brought some stuff but not nearly enough.

I'm still eating compliantly but more fruit than my usual and based on how I feel, no matter how carefully I order and inspect non-compliant food is sneaking in!

Upside...haven't eaten any of the bowl of full-sized candy bars the receptionist placed in front of my computer (this morning she even said "you haven't TOUCHED your candy!). I will need to start giving it to strangers so I don't hurt her feelings (Just because I'm chubby doesn't mean I am going to eat a bowl of candy!)

April, I don't think anyone expects you to get fueling perfect right away - as you say, being mindful of how you felt during and after will help you get it right next time. I do think it's better to eat too much rather than not enough though, especially right afterwards.

That sounds so annoying, Fran! Having no control over the food at all despite your best intentions. Are you able to pop to a salad bar and grab some boiled eggs, tins of tuna, undressed salad, etc, to supplement? I'd just tell the receptionist you don't eat sugar and ask her to take it away.

I know you're technically right about the rice, April. Perhaps I'll call it my rolling rice reintro with 6 days compliant eating between... I have to get a massive load of carbs once a week (it's called CarbNite, if you're interested in looking it up) so I already had a whole sweet potato and 2 white potatoes, plus dried fruit.

I didn't end up going to the gym yesterday - my legs were still buggered, and I have an appointment at lunchtime so I'll go after work tonight.

I take magnesium and a probiotic every night before bed, but the last 3 or 4 days my bowels have been a little crazy, so wondering if I should cut down on the magnesium (I haven't altered the dose) or if it's something I'm eating.

Day 44

Breakfast: 2 chicken meatballs with coleslaw and mayo

Lunch: shredded pork, snow peas and mayo, and sauerkraut

Dinner: sardine cakes, zoodles and ajvar

will be having my last cup of coffee today! Jay about to use up the bag in my drawer at work and won't be buying more. So proud of myself! I was having 2-3 before work and then 1-2 at work every day (this in itself was a reduction). I'm not actually sure if it will make any difference to my rosacea but worth a shot for a few weeks.

So today is day 46.  I still don't want W30 to end.  I am going to try the rolling re-entry after day 60, i.e., wait until something comes along that I really really want, then return to w30 in between.  If you haven't seen this, here is a guide to deciding if something is worth eating:

http://whole30.com/downloads/off-roading.pdf

My goal for the last 2 weeks is to only eat 3 meals, no snacks and to focus on hunger and fullness.  I want to get better at portions sizes.  

Day 45:

B: egg and spinach and sausage scramble, Bulletproof coffee

L: Zucchini soup, leftovers from B.

S: Larabar

D:  Brisket, mashed pot and gravy, butternut squash, decaf w coconut cream

I think the rolling reentry is a much better idea for me too, perhaps for everyone on subsequent Whole 30s.

Don't forget that pre and post workout meals don't count as snacks, and you need the energy!

Ended up not going to the gym yesterday. Again. Can't get motivated to go any time except lunch. Never mind. Giving my body a chance to recover from all the deadlifts I did Monday! Idid end up eating an extra serve and a half of shredded pork last night, plus a lot of coconut cream straight from the jar (doh! It makes me bloated as well. Will I never learn? ;-))

I should have got up and gone for a walk this morning, since I woke at 5, but I'm just not feeling it.

I actually have sort of lost track of days. I have marked in my diary that I finish 18 Oct, but I do know I have nothing planned until the end of the month that would necessitate eating off plan, so perhaps I'll just trundle along until then, cementing good habits. (My birthday is the start of November and my boss/friend is making me a gingerbread tiramisu cake - totally worth it!)

Today's food:

Coconut chai

Breakfast: eggs, avocado, roasted silverbeet

Ex: either long walk with a friend or gym

Lunch: Asian beef and capsicum over baby spinach

Dinner: prawn and zoodles salad (I saw a recipe on paleomg I'll have to look up and remind myself of :-) )

Plus I'm baking cupcakes for work tonight - I don't particularly like cupcakes so it's no temptation really.

Day 46 food:

5:45 Powersculpt 

B:  frittata w egg, onion mushroom potato

L:  Zucchini soup, brisket, acorn squash, Larabar

D: cauliflower, kale, steak, pineapple

skipped my bike ride tuesday and wednesday bc I needed to rest.  I see now that for me resting when I need it is essential to self control with food.  Had a couple long days at work, leaving today for board meetings out of state.  Packing some food.  The W30 Travel Guide was helpful:  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf 

Some days, you just know your body needs to take a break - well done listening to yourself, and not "toughing it out".

I ended up going for the walk at lunch, and then going to the gym after work, where I got a 1RM deadlift of 75kg (165lb) - I was pretty stoked with that, and glad that I got off my bum and went! Because I hadn't prepared to go to the gym after work I was pretty hungry when I got home. So I quickly plonked some various salads that I'd bought on a plate with some chicken meatballs - but by the time I was halfway through I was full. I ate it all anyway, as there's no way that would have been enough food to replenish me after a pretty tough workout.

Got up and went for a walk before work today, but I didn't plan to go to the gym at lunch anyway - just felt like a nice way to start the day, before daylight savings kicks in on Sunday.

Breakfast: sardine cakes on baby spinach, with a whole avo and tangy bbq sauce, coconut chai

10.30: Almond milk latte - man, I really appreciated this, the way I never really did with normal lattes - wonder if it's the rarity or the price :)

Lunch: beef stew, broccoli and baby spinach

Dinner: I'll have the prawns tonight, with coleslaw and maybe an Asian sauce

Made the cupcakes for work, and nearly mindlessly licked my fingers - doh! I know for a fact if I'd "taste tested" one of those cupcakes (if I weren't W30, of course), I would have eaten at least two or more (even though I'm sure they're not that great), so at least I'm aware of my triggers and I need to keep reminding myself I don't do moderation! Perhaps after this Whole 60 I will have a paleo treat at a cafe and test how that affects me psychologically Ie. when there's no possibility of going back for seconds, will it still affect me the same way? I suspect it will, but it might be manageable, as opposed to if I were to bake some paleo muffins myself and have half a dozen sitting around the kitchen... I'm beginning to think that staring clear of sugar is going to be the easiest way to live my life.

Day 47 Food

B: Sausage and egg scramble w green onion and butternut squash

L: pork loin, sweet potato, green beans, berries kale chips brought from home.

S: berries. Carrot and celery sticks

D: chicken breast, snap peas, carrots and broccoli

Ate some leftover breakfast and homemade baba ghannouj I brought from home when I got back to the room bc I was still hungry after dinner.

At board meetings all day. Requested sugar free gluten free meals and snacks in advance. Feel good about planning for success. Also everyone else has healthier snacks than the candy and cookies previously served. People seemed to enjoy the healthy food.

Good morning all.  I got back home last night but am hitting the ground running.  I have a bike event in a nearby town this morning.  Leaving the house at 6:45, going to ride 62 miles, 100k. 

So far as I know I was W30 compliant for my trip, but have a little funny tummy this morning.  Homemade food is just best.  Tomorrow will be day 50.  I am happy and amazed that I have stuck with this.  And I feel really good about planning ahead to stay on plan out of town.  

Day 50 food

B:  Chicken thigh, kale and baba Ganoush brought from home

S:  Mixed fresh fruit

L:  chicken breast, spinach, berries, Kombucha

D:  Salmon, sweet potato, puree of cauliflower, carrot and parsnip, pecans, larabar

Didn't overeat, but I think I ate the Larabar more from being overtired than from needing food.  My distance cycling season is ending to I won't need to keep them around.  I won't buy more when they are gone.  

Have you guys checked out the Whole 9 website?  I wish there was a companion book or something.  It looks really good to me as a life plan.  I hope you are doing well Fran and GoJo.  Take care,

April

Just realised I forgot to check in yesterday, so since I have a 2hr train ride ahead of me I'll do it now :-).

Friday night ended up being a bit of a bad one. It crept up on me, but by about 6pm I was so negative that I almost canceled coffee with a friend on Sat morning because she posted a picture of her and her husband eating ice cream in a suburb not far from where I live. In my negativity, I ate. I ended up having a bit of steak, prawn stir fry, pork chop, and coconut butter and cream from the jars. I wanted my flatmate to go out so I could eat. Bad behaviour for me.

However, I was able to easily trace this back to Carb Nite. How stupid. I spent the whole afternoon reading about it and reading forums desperate to find out what I was doing wrong. I was obsessed. And so I realised, what I was doing wrong was doing carb nite at all. I have never had any reaction like that to simply eating Whole 30. In fact, Whole 30 eating makes me very happy. Therefore, carb nite is not for me, although I do think that starchy carbs should be limited to heavy lifting or hiking days.

Yesterday's food:

Bulletproof cacao chai (actually made me a bit sick)

6km/1hr walk

8am 4 eggs, raw zucchini slice and cauliflower salad with a Peppermint tea

2.30 (got a haircut and went shopping with a friend, was hungry but all I had lurking in my handbag was a mini date and coconut bar

3.30 finally got home for lunch - green curry over broccoli and some coconut butter

7pm beef rib roast and some more zucchini slice and salad

8pm coconut butter (I think buying that was a bad idea! )

Today I'm hiking all day (only 20km and one big climb today). It's a hike I've done a few times before but it will get my out of the house and stop me over thinking :-).

Food for today:

Peppermint tea before leaving home (daylight savings started overnight, and I had to get up early anyway, plus my brain was worried the clock wouldn't switch over so I've been awake since 2.30! Nothing creamy was going to stay down this morning)

And the food I have packed for the rest of the day - sardine cakes, 4 eggs, tuna and ajvar, almonds and coconut flakes, and a mini date and coconut bat and a sweet potato baby food sachet if I need them.

I prepped osso buco last night and popped the slow cooker on before I left, so either I'll have delicious stew when I get home or the house will have burned down!

What will you do once the distance season is over, April? Focus more on CycloCross? Or do you do other things over winter?

However, I was able to easily trace this back to Carb Nite. How stupid. I spent the whole afternoon reading about it and reading forums desperate to find out what I was doing wrong. I was obsessed. And so I realised, what I was doing wrong was doing carb nite at all. I have never had any reaction like that to simply eating Whole 30. In fact, Whole 30 eating makes me very happy. Therefore, carb nite is not for me, although I do think that starchy carbs should be limited to heavy lifting or hiking days.

I have come to skim your log a couple of times since you told me you were doing CN.  I am sorry to hear you've had trouble, but I am happy for you that you were able to see the light so clearly, and so quickly.  I saw that you were, in fact, counting grams of carbs (after I told that nice woman on my thread that none of us were doing that  :P  )  Lol.  That is something I could just not get myself back into... the counting.  Whether it be calories or macros, one day of the week or all seven, I just can't do it.  I think I have a wall up psychologically that just won't allow me to go there... because that would be going backward.  To a place I have already been and don't want to go again.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and agree that you are on the right track with Whole 30.  Recognizing those foods that you feel out of control with... and eliminating them... that is HUGE.  Each time you can conquer one of those things -- picture yourself, literally slaying them -- you can leave it behind and move on down the road to better things.

Edited to say:  Another reason I wanted to post here is to ask for your sardine cake recipe?  I have some in the cabinet but I have never actually ventured into eating them yet.  Heeellllp me... please!

I have come to skim your log a couple of times since you told me you were doing CN. I am sorry to hear you've had trouble, but I am happy for you that you were able to see the light so clearly, and so quickly. I saw that you were, in fact, counting grams of carbs (after I told that nice woman on my thread that none of us were doing that :P ) Lol. That is something I could just not get myself back into... the counting. Whether it be calories or macros, one day of the week or all seven, I just can't do it. I think I have a wall up psychologically that just won't allow me to go there... because that would be going backward. To a place I have already been and don't want to go again.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and agree that you are on the right track with Whole 30. Recognizing those foods that you feel out of control with... and eliminating them... that is HUGE. Each time you can conquer one of those things -- picture yourself, literally slaying them -- you can leave it behind and move on down the road to better things.

Edited to say: Another reason I wanted to post here is to ask for your sardine cake recipe? I have some in the cabinet but I have never actually ventured into eating them yet. Heeellllp me... please!

Thanks Brewer. Yeah I was counting on the carb nite to make sure I was getting enough. And then I was stressing that I was getting too much. And then I realised that it's just food and I shouldn't be stressing about it!

And whenever I get anxious, I eat. So I'm getting anxious about food and dealing with it by. .. eating food! Ridiculous.

I also suffered greatly today on my hike, and I think it was a combo of not enough carbs and running out of water - even after eating by mini date bar and sweet potato and apple babyfood. So I'll make sure on hike days I eat more carby things.

Sardine cakes are just a beaten egg, mash in a tin of sardines (so all the bones are broken up - if they're in oil to that in, otherwise drain them and add a tablespoon of olive oil), then mix a tablespoon of coconut flour. Fry spoonfuls in coconut oil, not too long or they'll dry out. Then dip in mayo and hot sauce.

Also, thanks for commenting - I didn't want to dump that on your thread with Karen but I did want to let you know the conclusion I'd come to re carb nite :-)

Archived