Half Way - Angry Belly

RooLavoie

Hey Everyone,

I keep bugging my sister (who has done Whole30 more than once and convinced me to try), So I have come here to ask everyone else.

I am half way through, but since day 12 up to today, I have had a stomach that is constantly "gurggling" and constant gas or gas pains. Has anyone else come across this, or is it the foods I am trying to eat (ie too many Tomatoes - even though they are cooked)?

Or am I just gross?

LOL Oh well we are all human LOL

"The enzymes that digest your food and the millions of bacteria that live in your gut are adjusting to your new intake of meat and vegetables, and the lack of easy-access sugars.  This is something they do naturally, and these adjustments have contributed to humanity’s ability to flourish throughout our history.  However, these adjustments can be a bit… uncomfortable. Bloating, constipation, diarrhea, or all three may appear as your gut starts to heal, rebalance, and process this new food effectively. The good news is that most people find this phase passes relatively quickly, and their pants are easy to button again within a week or so. "

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

:)

Awesome!

Thank you for your help. I guess when I read the whole layout I didn't fully catch that part.

My food this week has been:

- Garlic and Lemon Chicken (cooked in the CrocPot) with baked Sweet Potato (sunflower oil and nutmeg) and baked Broccoli (Sunflower oil and cumin)

- Garlic and Lemon Chicken with boiled broccoli stems and microwave-baked Sweet Potato topped with bacon bits (no sugar added bacon)

- Apple and onion cooked Pork Chop with microwave-baked Sweet Potato topped with bacon bits and boiled broccoli stems

- Beef Spaghetti (Grass-fed beef cooked with onion, spinanch and tomatos and just tomoato paste) on top spiralized raw zuccini

- Ground Chicken (cooked with onion, tomatos and spinach) on top spiralized raw zucchini, boiled carrots and broccoli stems, with baked Sweet Potato (sunflower oil and nutmeg)

- Every breakfast: three egg omlete with tomato, onion, red peppers, spinach and bacon pieces (no sugar added bacon) with a banana/apple and coffee

But now that I think about it, everyone is right, its more then likely my body healing itself. Makes me wonder what I have been doing to my body this whole time prior!

• Moderators

Roo,

Most of your menu looks great.

Let's talk about sunflower oil. This is a seed oil which is high in omega 6 and not stable to cook with (or even eat, unless it has always been stored in cool temperatures, unlikely during shipping). It's also inflammatory. Sunflower oil is only acceptable on Whole30 when you absolutely can't avoid it, such as eating out at a restaurant. Pitch it in the trash and buy some ghee, olive oil or coconut oil.

Hope this will help your poor tummy, too!

Also, consider broccoli a culprit, too. I have to cook it really well to not have it cause gas.  Definitely consider taking compliant digestive enzymes and probiotics during this adjustment!!

Something I just remembered last night (wish I had remembered sooner  :rolleyes: ) is to chew on a few caraway seeds before eating something offensive, like broccoli.  It works!

{By "a few", I mean I pour about 1/4 tsp in my hand and pop them in my mouth.}  And you need to actually chew them.

Just posted this on another topic, my stomach is AWFUL! Today is day 23 for me & I'm miserable. First 2 weeks were great, loved the food, no problems transitioning besides missing my Chardonnay. Week 1 I also started P90X(which I've done before). All was going great. I am weighing myself, my choice. 1st week lost 3.4, 2nd 3.0, weighed yesterday only lost 2.0. I did notice last week how my weight loss was slowing down, figured it's because my period was coming. Yesterday & especially today I am SOOO bloated, stomach is rumbling around & I GAINED 2lbs on the scale from yesterday...no I did not eat anything crazy yesterday. I bought natural calm last Wednesday & I think it may be part of the culprit. Made me moody, think it actually irritated my stomach. I did not take it today & will not any longer. HELP I need & want this to go away & get back on my eating healthy & weight loss journey!

There's a reason you aren't supposed to weigh yourself - daily weighings are extremely inaccurate. I can gain five lbs in a day if I eat something I'm sensitive to, and there are a few on here who can gain more in one day. Stop weighing yourself, and focus on how you FEEL.

Oh, and maybe your moodiness was related to your having gained weight...because you think that means you've somehow failed. Daily weight fluctuations can be due to all sorts of stuff, including how many bacteria are in your intestines at any one time, how much food you ate, water you drank, etc. Hormones can also play havoc with your weight. If you're looking for an overall weight loss, you need to have the "before" picture/number/measurements and the "after" ones, because for some people, their numbers never change but they lose a foot's worth (total) of size around their arms, legs, and waists. Numbers aren't the important thing, your health is. Get rid of your scale!

I would def second getting rid of the scale! I did loose weight, but now it seems to be stabilising. However, I am still loosing inches and fitting into my old clothes again. I think you become more lean by eating like this. Also, I think that when you are too tired you don't seem to loose weight?? But that could be just me. I would also suggest yoga. I practice ashtanga yoga as it feels like a challenge, but there are many different types and it really does seem to work very well in line with being paleo. It realigns your energy and you can no doubt know that it is healing and realigning your body to your natural state. Yoga tones your insides, your organs, not just the legs, arms etc. It brings mindfulness into those internal organs, such as the stomach, kidneys etc. Becoming consciously aware of these organs we are allowing healing to occur. What I find then is a sense of 'confidence' or 'contentment' inside when practicing as I know I am eating well and know that the organs are being healed at the same time. I believe that the paleo/yoga lifestyle is in such synch with our bodies because they both take patience, regular practice and time. There should be no push to loose weight, it should only be how you feel. There must be a certain amount of faith involved to trust that we have amazing bodies that when given the proper care and attention will weigh what we are naturally meant to weigh, we will be the shape we were naturally meant to be, all in time, with no rush, with no stress. We I believe must take control of our minds and brains and and the same time let go of the need to control our bodies, let it sort itself out.

Archived