Starting Mon Sept 22

kamamac

Lexy and Tevenie, I'm sorry about those very stressful things that - without a doubt - would have thrown me off the whole30 too. But so heartened that you are going to jump back in. There is a quote attributed to various wise people that says "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."  

I'm on day 16 and feeling pretty good and loving those steady energy levels throughout the day. I am still ready to crash around 9:30PM and wish I had my old (read:20's) energy where I could stay up til midnight with no problem. But now, kids, full time job, volunteering...I can sometimes make it until 10:30 and consider that a victory.  Looking forward to tiger blood kicking in!!

Kellygirl, I had a recent revelation about portion sizes as well and have trimmed back to a true palm for protein. And trying to cut back on snacks too. Actually a big victory for me on this plan is that I no longer NEED to have sugar in the form of chocolate at 9PM every night. We're eating dinner around 6 or 7 PM, and I am still satisfied at 9. Every few nights, I do indulge in one small spoonful of almond butter and that feels incredibly decadent. 

I've still avoided the scale, but can feel from clothes that things are changing a bit. 

keep on keeping on...

Sam

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking in.  I can definitely understand passing out in the MRI.  I had two last Friday.  It was "only" 90 minutes but I couldn't wait to be done.  The hardest part for me was holding me breath for up to 30 seconds at a time.  I thought I was going to pass out a few times.  Luckily I didn't.  Unfortunately, I have to have a consult with a surgeon next.  Apparently I have a hernia and gall stones.  But, given the delays getting to the surgeon, I should be well done with the 30 days by the time surgery comes around. 

Hi Everyone-

Renee- I'm so sorry to hear about the hernia and gall stones.   Not fun!   I wish the Whole30 could cure both!  

So, today I put on some jeans that have been pretty snug this past year.   I am thrilled to say, they are not tight anymore!  Also, the belt moved up a notch ( or down a notch--- whichever direction means my waist is a little smaller).   Yippee!  Despite eating a large portions and some snacking...  I am seeing encouraging results.   Scale is still in storage and at my annual exam Monday, I looked away when nurse took my weight.   I truly don't want to know.   I may never weigh myself again!   Oh, I'm sure on day 31 the curiosity will get to me and I'll have to weigh myself but I find gauging success on other factors so much more satisfying.

Going to put some brown bananas out of their misery and make banana bread for the kids but feeling pretty confident I can do it without temptation.   I'll cross my fingers and knock some wood just in case.

Take care and carry on with day 17...

Kellygirl 

Kellygirl, that's awesome!  Everything I own is knit, so it's hard for me to use clothes to judge my weight.  Who knows, maybe one day that won't be the case.  I do have to admit, staying off the scale is the hardest rule for me to follow!

Day 17 and it's just feeling easy.  A mild craving this afternoon while I was stuck on a very boring conference call.  But I refuse to let boredom drive me to a snack!  I definitely wouldn't eat steamed broccoli and plain fish - so I wasn't that hungry.

I miss my scale and my husband did not hide it well enough.  But I really want to get away from that head game of watching numbers go up and down and letting that tell me how to feel or how to eat.  I would never have believed that I'd miss my scale more than sugar....  

Portion sizes - interesting discussion.  I find especially at dinner that my protein was stretching a bit - my palm is NOT the size of a think strip loin steak...  LOL

Have a great evening everyone!

Kat

I started with you all on 9/22 and am still in although posting is something I don't typically have time for, I wanted to give a high five to those who've hung in there so far!  Sorry about those with health issues that have prevented you from finishing!!!  You'll get 'em next time!!

I am feeling pretty good.

- higher energy

- more level emotions

- nicer fitting clothes

Some days have been really hard but it feels okay right now, although I'm really hungry a lot of the time.  Wish that would go away!  I did give in to the scale once and have lost a few pounds but can definitely feel my clothes fitting better.  

Any easy dinner ideas you'd share?  I have three kids and work full-time and dinner is taking WAY too long!  Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work everyone!!!

Jenny

Good morning everyone! What Day is it?? Oh yeah Day 19! Wow, I can't believe I've actually lost count. It's been a hectic past few days for me. I started my lil guy in preschool and found part time work. Things really seem to be looking up for me. I know part of it is my focus and drive since I've been on the W30. I had no idea that changing my relationship with food (and alcohol) could be so powerful! I really hope everyone else is experiencing what I have been the last 18 days. It's has been a joy to feel like everything is coming together, and eating healthier just makes sense. Still haven't weighed myself but I know everything is working because not only am I noticing a change in my clothes, people are asking what I've done differently! I keep thinking, "Is it really that simple?" and it seems like the answer is yes. We are in control of what we put into our bodies, we are blessed to have the option to choose a healthier way of living and we can do it if we truly want the change. Anything is possible! I thank God I made it this far but the journey's not over....

Have a great day!

- Chaf

Good morning! 

Yes - the tiger blood has kicked in and I'm feeling so strong in so many ways that I've been missing for quite a while. It feels like there was a hump for me to get over between days 12 - 16 where at least once a day I felt *this close* to giving in and was clinging by fingernails to the whole30. But something changed this week, and suddenly not only do I feel like I can handle this for 11 more days - I feel like I can take down my caffeine addition (already cutting back on coffee), am ready to ramp up the excercise, and just generally feel pretty kick-ass.

Chaf - yes, that may be the most enlightening part of the program for me "we are in control of what we put in our bodies". It sounds so simple, so obvious, and yet...I'd never thought of it that way before!

Jenny - I've found a few quick dinners that satisfy the whole family:

omelets with peppers, onions, finely shredded kale, tomatoes and chunks of avocado with a topping of salsa. Oranges on the side.Yep, breakfast for dinner!

Pumpkin soup - just take a few cans of (organic if you can) pumpkin puree (ingredients are just pumpkin), put in a pot, add some coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and a wee bit of ghee and some water if you want a less-dense soup. Stir and serve hot with apples on the side and coconut shavings for dessert. Add toast for your non-whole30 family members  :).

These aren't perfect whole30 meals, but they are compliant and have helped me when I've come home unprepared for making 2 or 3 different dinners!

Take care, all!

Congrats everyone on making it this far, I just had to respond to Chaf. Your question of "is it really that simple?" is so true. It's hard for me to believe that all it took was saying no to very few things, and yes to amazing meals to get so many benefits. They title of the book, "it starts with food", rings so true now. How do you get healthy and change your life? it starts with food. :)

Greetings... on a nearly complete day 18...

So after I posted yesterday feeling good, getting compliments, fitting in to the jeans etc... I nearly went off the deep end.   I had that moment or moments of, " I can't do this another day"   " I reallllllly want to try that warm banana bread I just baked, " and " just one little square of dark chocolate won't hurt."   Somehow, I did not cave, but I did eat rather large portion of ground turkey stir fry and a pomegranate and a big bowl of some soup to stave of the temptations.   I was really full last night and today lets just say... the bathroom has been a bit of a hangout.  TMI.

I realized this morning that I have a tendency to sabotage my own success.  As strange as that may be, I am my worst enemy at times.   Yesterday I nearly sabotaged the W30 process by going off plan consciously.    For me, that's a slippery slope as a self-confessed sugar addict and binge eater ( had anorexia as a teen and sugar has triggered binges if under stress since then).  I know where one bite of chocolate or banana bread can lead when I feel tired, stressed or angry.    I am grateful that I was able fight it off but realize that how I deal with stress is really what I need to address. 

Anyhow, today feeling good and back on track mentally.   Don't think I'll attempt baking treats for a while longer.   

Jenny- quick and easy dinners that have worked for me:  stir fried ground turkey, chicken or beef with a bunch of sautéed veggies ( can even use frozen in a pinch).   Fast, easy, delicious.   I use ghee with the veggies and sauté meat at medium temp with coconut oil or olive oil.   

Another is just a piece of fish sautéed in ghee or olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and lemon and sautéed spinach and perhaps a half a baked yam or cauliflower rice.   Last in desperation, I make a salad and throw on a can of tuna with olive oil, olives, avocado, tomato and apple chunks maybe some coconut aminos.   Very tasty and no cooking.  Frankly, sauté just about anything in ghee and it's delicious!!!

Sam- love the omelet idea and pumpkin soup.  Yum!  

Chaf- Yep, no one can force anything down our throat.  Being conscious of the choices we make all the time and feeling lucky we have them.  Staying present and conscious is more than half the battle for me.  

Onward...

Kellygirl

I'm still here, still plugging away.  Anyone else find that some days they get a little bit of tiger blood and other days, not so much?  Overall, I'm feeling so much better, but I keep feeling like I'm not there yet.  I think I'm just one of those cases that need more than the standard amount of time to get to the 'real' tiger blood phase.  At least, that's what I keep telling myself.  :)

Yes Renee - I have felt the tiger blood but its not consistent.  I remind myself that it took years of eating very unhealthy food - my body needs (and deserves) time to heal.  But I sure enjoy those days full of energy and ideas and positivity.

It's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and I am facing tempting treats everyday!  Two family dinners down and one more to go....  Friday night I had myself convinced that one glass of wine was not an issue and I could make that choice.  My daughter was choosing the wine and came back upstairs with the one bottle that I really don't like as well as most we have.  I laughed and let her and her husband polish off that bottle with no help from me!   My son and his girlfriend were cooking dinner last night and he arrived with groceries and recipes that were all compliant.  He is a chef so am always grateful when he cooks for us but I was blown away that he had learned so much about Whole 30 and cared for me in that way.  Much to be thankful for.

Today is a Thanksgiving potluck with my husband's family - so I am making sure there will be a couple of Whole30 dishes!  Will try this one out today

http://www.livebetterforever.com/2013/08/spicy-sweet-potatoes-and-apples_30.html

Beautiful fall weather to enjoy as well - so much to be thankful for.  Hope you're all having an outstanding weekend and are enjoying some tiger blood every now and then!

Kat

Happy Thanksgiving Kat!  I'm so impressed with your resolve to stay Whole30 compliant on such a food-filled holiday.   I love how supportive your son is too.  Imagine a Thanksgiving that you wake up feeling good the next day and not bloated.   Congratulations!

Like you and Renee, "Tiger Blood" comes and go for me too.  Sometimes, late afternoon I hit a slump and energy is low.   But, all in all feeling good and amazed that we started this journey three weeks ago!    I have a 3 day San Francisco getaway this week so that will pose challenges eating meals out and lots of temptations but, I'm committed and I'll figure out a way to stay Whole30 compliant.  

Oh and finally made mayo yesterday.   Don't think I'll ever buy store bought mayo again!  Yum!

Have a great day 22 everyone!

Kellygirl

Hello ladies...we're almost there!! I have been training at my new job the last 4 days. I know it's not good but I find myself skipping meals or eating very little if I can't get compliant meals at the employee cafe. So, my energy level has been imbalanced. I should be able to get back on track now that I have a couple days off to meal plan and prepare lunch for the following day. Over all, I feel good and feel like this last week will be a piece of cake :) no pun intended. I do miss some sweets but don't want to revert to my old ways after day 30. I think I'll try to continue mostly W30 compliant after day 30. I am going to read up on the next stage, the W30 reintroduction. I think I can avoid the sugar dragon for a bit longer if I stay prepared. Hope everyone is doing well!! 7 days left, hang in there!

- Chaf

Hi everyone -

It sounds like we're all hanging in there despite some hurdles - new job is a big deal, Chaf, so is travel, Kellygirl and not to mention Thanksgiving, Kat!! Way to go, all of you!

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling much more comfortable/ knowledgeable now - as opposed to three weeks ago - about finding compliant food out there in the real world - aka, Outside of My Kitchen. It's still a little scary and I hate the idea of skimping on food and going hungry, so I've found that keeping a bag of almonds and container of carrots in my purse is like a safety net. I can always self-serve if needed :-) 

I also bought three lara bars to have on hand just in case - not for regular snacks but if I'm stuck in a situation and need something to get over the hurdle until I can get back to the safety of my kitchen. 

I made mayo with dill and it makes my raw veggies sing with happiness. This weekend I created homemade almond milk for my coffee and find I like it better than coconut milk. As a family, last night we made basic meatballs and 3 out of 4 of us loved it - Picky Child did not like, to no surprise.  A dozen hard-boileds in the fridge, fresh kale in the freezer, ripe tomatoes and avocados...I feel like I've finally hit a rhythm with food and eating what I like without feeling deprived.  I still miss my 70% cocoa dark chocolate and hope that I can find a way to moderately reincorporate it into my life, as its the one thing that I've truly missed in the past 23 days. 

Tiger blood is still there for me for the most part but yes - late afternoons are a struggle. There's a dip in energy for sure and I'm not sure how to deal with that. Anyone have ideas?

Sam

One week to go!  Yay us!

Beginning to think about the reintroduction phase.   Not sure what that looks like for me.   Almost afraid to eat sugar or gluten or dairy because I feel so good not eating it.    Also, the structure of knowing that I eat protein, veggies, a little fruit and fat has been really powerful and a great boundary for me.  It just keeps it simple.   I have kicked the sugar cravings for the most part.    

Sam- like you, I miss my dark chocolate fix.   Just a square in the evening with tea is so satisfying.  I still crave a reward or sort-of dessert at the end of the day.   A few macadamia nuts or cashews or a little toasted coconut or apple slices seems to do the trick.   It has become painfully clear that baking treats for the family is a sugar dragon trigger for me.   What baker doesn't want to sample their creations?  In my case, often a sample becomes a binge.   I am going to bake much less. 

Chaf- I am also considering going beyond the 30 days to a Whole36 or Whole40 to solidify my new habits.   Anyone else thinking along those lines?    We'll see what next week brings.  

Have a great day 23!

Kellygirl 

It has been a long day...

Chaf, I too have been eating too little or waiting too long in between meals simply because I have done a poor job of planning. I do keep almonds and occasionally a Lara bar for emergencies but while I'm not particularly hungry my energy has been up and down. I know that is something I really need to work on. The downward spiral following my previous Whole 30's usually started with poor planning and a desperate trip to fast food for lunch.

Kellygirl, I'm doing a whole 40 this time around for that very reason. Also, 40 brings me right to the obstacle race im doing and Halloween. My thought is that I'll perform better with 40 days of healthy eating and by beating the sugar dragon I won't be tempted by all of the trick or treat candy. I'm impressed with those of you able to stay compliant for Thanksgiving... Congrats! To be honest, I'm not in a huge hurry to change things, but I did have to ask my son and husband to walk away as they ate some dark chocolate. Smelled really good.

Hoping for more energy tomorrow. Keep up the great work!

Jennifer

Hello, thought I'd drop in to say hi.  I haven't been doing very well.  I am waiting for the results of my tests last week and I have worked myself up into a stressful state worrying about it.  I tried very hard to keep to the Whole 30 but haven't managed it.  I have to say that I am feeling awful again - I am totally thick headed and exhausted.  Pretty sure I actually don't need to bother going through the whole 30 or the reintroduction phase - I just need to give up grains, sugar and alcohol, all of which definitely affect me.  

Anyway, I am DELIGHTED to see the rest of you doing so well!  Go Team 22!

Tevenie xxx

Tevenie- You are so sweet to check in and offer support to your fellow Team 22 members.  I am sending you prayers for the best possible test results ( as I know we all are).    Maybe when you have some clarity around your health, you will be ready to try Whole30 again.   From what I have read on other forums, many people have a false start or fall off and pick it up again at another time.  Like you,  I can definitely see that sugar grains ( gluten ) and probably dairy are not my friends.   

Hang in there and sending you all the best, 

Kellygirl

Aw Trevenie - I know that waiting on test results is probably one of the most stressful times in our lives - hang in there.  Once things settle down, you'll be in a better place to move forward with Whole30 and we'll be here to cheer you on.

Looking ahead, I don't have any desire to add sugar, grains or dairy back to my diet.  Wine...  now wine is another story!  

I will be curious to add back in a few items (yes, wine) that I have missed and see how I feel.  I am in no rush to add grains or dairy back and I hope I am in a better position to make good choices.

Will I do another Whole30/60/90?  YES.  I feel so good and have learned so much about how bad food choices affect my well-being that I need to figure out the best way to make this permanent.

Have a great DAY 24 everyone!

Kat

Trevenie, I'm so sorry you're struggling so much.  I know how hard it is to wait for answers.  I met with a surgeon Monday thinking it would be my time to get answers, only to be referred to a different surgeon.  No answers for me until the end of the month.  Sometimes being patient sucks.

I'm also thinking about extending this to a whole 60.  Since my energy levels are still up and down, I think my body just needs longer to heal from the damage I've done over many years.  And, after realizing how badly I've eaten, for how long, I can't find fault with that.  And, since I know I react badly to gluten/soy/dairy/etc., I have no interest in going back to them.  The hardest part for me was giving up the artificial sweeteners.  And, I know I need to steer clear of them, it's just hard!

Congratulations Kat for making it through Thanksgiving.  That's a huge accomplishment!!

Hi Everyone,

Cannot believe we are heading in to day 29!!  

Survived San Francisco's fabulous restaurants and ice cream parlors and soooo many temptations it's impossible to list.   Had two amazing dinners at Italian restaurants becuase that's what everyone else wanted.   I amazed myself with my resolve to pass on the bread and pastas and instead ordered grilled seafood one night and a steak and veggies the next.  Skipped the wine and the tiramisu only to return to attend a "girls night out" in which I was told I could not say "no" to a glass of wine.   Really weird.   A friend ( not a close friend, I'll call her Carlie) literally told me, "You can not, not drink tonight! You have to have a toast with us and you have to have at least a glass of wine."  I was completely taken aback.   I had told them I was just drinking soda water because I am so close to completing the Whole30.   Everyone ( 6 other women) was completely supportive and congratulatory except "Carlie" and she seemed angry that I would come out and not partake in a drink.   Another friend came to my aide and said just pretend to have a glass and I'll drink yours for you.   It was the strangest encounter I have had while on this program.  I didn't want to make a big deal out of it so I let it go but I'll be damned if I am going to let someone tell me what I have to eat and drink!

On a positive note, we are almost there gang!   I am reading the section on reintroduction and trying to plan ahead well so that I stay on this path of clean / paleo style eating.   I will definitely extend my strict Whole30 plan 36-40 days.   I still find myself tempted to eat at night and I crave pumpkin treats because it's October after all. But, craving for chocolate is mild and have no craving for diary, grains or breads.   I really love all the new recipes I have been trying and kids and husband requested Well Fed's Chocolate Chili and zucchini soup again!   A whole new cooking world has opened up for me and I am really excited to keep trying new things.

I will get the scale out of storage tomorrow and weigh in on Wed.   Have no idea how many lbs I have lost.  A few for sure but I feel really good, my skin looks better, my bad knee feels the best it has in years, my clothes fit much better.  So, this experience has been a success regardless of what the scale says.  

Look forward to hearing how everyone else is doing.  Grateful to have shared this journey with you.

Kellygirl

Hey Kellygirl and everyone else -

Yesss  - we're almost there! Day 29 - woot woot!  

The past few days have been tough - resistance to all sorts of sweets was difficult at my step-mom's memorial service this weekend. Many leftovers from the service are now in my kitchen, calling to me from their tupperware prisons "eat me" (anyone remember Little Shop of Horrors?). So instead of eating them, I've just been having nightmares about eating them and wake up feeling regretful and guilty. The sugar dragon is far from being tamed in my case. 

But hey - on the good news side - I have no concern about starting up with grains, alcohol or most dairy - I am finding I just don't miss them. I do miss something extra in my coffee, and am willing to make a deliberate choice to add some dairy back in to that. But most everything else - no problem. Except, ahem, sugar. 

Kellygirl, that sounds like a very challenging situation and you handled it! Way to go! Yeah...it wouldn't sit well with me to have someone else tell me what to eat or drink. Ha. It doesn't work that way!

So how does this work at the end of the whole30? Can we share our thoughts/plans/weights (all optional of course) on Wednesday? I've not yet thought much about the reintroduction phase...better hop off the forum and do some reading.

How is everyone else doing? Ditto the gratitude for sharing this journey with you all.  Although I don't post too frequently, seeing your posts has helped keep me on track and I've had a nice sense of accountability to you all, and to myself. That has strengthened me, and I appreciate it.

Sam

Day 30 - YEAH!

Have started to think about all I have learned....

- I am happier not knowing what I weigh

- I learned to make mayo

- I like Thai curry dishes better than Indian curry

- Sleep improves 

- I don't miss sugar, dairy or grains

- I know why sweet potatoes are called 'sweet' - they really ARE sweet!

- sugar is an addiction - I don't want to go back there

- sugar is in way too many processed foods.... ugh - sad state of affairs

- soup is an awesome 'first meal'

- not everyone wants to know about Whole30 :)  I need to temper my enthusiasm sometimes!

would love to hear what everyone else has learned on our journey

Hope you have an awesome Day 30!

Kat

Archived