Starting Mon Sept 22

kamamac

Day 2 here and all is going well with the food...had a yummy shrimp and yellow coconut curry over cauliflower "rice" that I highly recommend. My challenge is that I threw my back out picking up my 4year old daughter this morning. I'm so frustrated and trying not to get down about it. Its just tough because I was feeling so empowered yesterday to be taking steps towards better health. But I'm not letting this derail me. I'm just viewing it as further proof that I need to take control over my body.

Trying to avoid a pity party... How's everyone else doing?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alyson, Thank you for your advice. It will be a treat (pun intended) to have you on board with us. Your experience and knowledge is much appreciated. I see a lot of people repeating the W30 if not once, several times. Is keeping the weight off difficult? Or are people simply falling back into old unhealthy food habits? I am only curious because I do miss my pastas and rice. And I don't know if I could permanently eliminate it from my diet. I do enjoy whole wheat pastas and brown rice, is that an option after I complete my 30 days? I guess I need to get to the finish line before I start planning what I can eat after my 30 days lol! Oh by the way, will you share some of your favorite W30 recipes? I love to cook also...thanks!

- Chaffee

@Chaffee - To use one of Melissa and Dallas' buzzwords - keep in mind my context.  I don't exercise.  Pretty much ever.  That is something I need to work on changing.  So, yes, it is difficult for me to keep off weight when I eat my regular healthy foods and then let myself indulge in foods that aren't making me healthier and then sit on my butt!  LOL.  I like the whole mindfulness undercurrent of the Whole30, and I think there is a place for treats in a healthy diet. 

@LJT - It is a common theme among posters that eating first thing in the morning is difficult.  As you may have seen in ISWF or on this forum, eating within an hour of waking is one of the "rules" and has something to do with setting the metabolism on course for the day.  I know that the Moderators have written a fair amount about this, but I can't recall how important a rule it is or what they recommend to people who struggle with eating early.  Maybe do a few searches of the forum?  I totally agree that we have to listen to our bodies while guiding them to a better relationship with food.  Maybe someone can suggest a gentle way for you to work on the whole breakfast thing.

Got to run!  I'll try to come back later and post about some of my fav recipes.

Thanks @ABS, I will search the forum tonight... I was hoping that I was doing SOME good by starting with the coffee and coconut milk less than an hour after I woke....getting my stomach used to having SOMETHING in it at least.  I'll have to work my way up to food in under an hour.... it was 3 hours today. ugh.  I'll shoot for 2 tomorrow!!  I'll get there...

For those of you not following my original thread. I copied and paste my post (a lil long and didn't feel like re typing):

Hello everyone...Day 3 and I don't know how I did it??!

I woke up this morning a lil tired but I'm not a morning person so it's pretty normal, usually don't feel better until after breakfast. I had leftover steak and mushrooms with 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, and tomatoes. Pretty hearty breakfast. Thought I'd feel better but felt worse. My body was aching and had a bit of a headache while still feeling sluggish. Figured it was just my workout from the day before. Made it to lunch. Fixed a tuna salad with compliant mayo and mange to force down a lil but nothing taste right. Finally had to lay down for a nap, just felt like I was worn out. Laid my son and myself down and napped for 2 1/2 hours! Woke up and it was time for dinner. I made my favorite pork chops with mango pinneapple salsa, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, and spaghetti cucumber. All organic and all too yummy! Still walking around like a zombie. I figured I'd call it an early night so I gave Landon a bath and we went back to bed (turned on the TV for the lil guy cause he wasn't havin' it). I was in bed by 8:30pm!!! I'm a night owl, I usually am up til 11pm or midnight if not later...

Any how, up now and wanted to share with you my Day 3. Thought it was strange how my day went down so I did a lil research. Seems as though feeling "hungover" is normal for Day 3. Had no idea!! I'll need to sign up for the daily newsletter so I can be more informed. I seriously felt like crap yesterday! Hope everyone else had a better day. Please share if you experienced what I did.

Here are the recipes to the pork chops and asparagus:

http://nomnompaleo.c...sparagus-spears

Going back to bed, see you all on Day 4 :)

- Chaffee

Feels good to confirm I'm moving along like I should be "hangover" and all.

Hi WOMs, I've just found this thread and would love to join you! I also started on  Monday.  I'm in Australia and a Stay at Home Mum so what several of you said really resonated with me.  The lure of the fridge/pantry! I also love cooking and am a serial lets-try-this-way-of-eating enthusiast , which can drive my husband mad!

Anyway, I'm just finishing Day 3 today, Wednesday, and want to Kill All The Things.  We've just started school holidays and my husband is away.  My poor kids have been very confused by their usually easy-going mum growling at them one minute, then nice and normal the next.  I actually reduced my six year old to tears this afternoon, which I feel terrible about.  She's super-clingy for some reason at the moment, and won't let me out of her sight.  Whenever I try to get them going with some activity, then step back and read my book or get onto my laptop, she seeks me out and wants my input again.  So I snapped but Seriously! we spent the morning at the skate park, made french-knitters out of toilet rolls, bought pretty wool & made lengths of spool knitting, did some painting, read together, made chocolate brownies (which made me nervous about resisting) and then she got upset cos I wouldn't make play dough with her! Arrrrgh!!! Ok, rant over.   :)

So I can't turn to a glass of Pinot Grigiot to unwind as usual, and I really really want to cram handful of dates into my mouth! Why? Is that a sugar replacement thing as I'm off the wine? I think I'm going to have to bin the packet.

I'm off to put them to bed, then make a cup of herbal tea and watch some mindless telly before bed.  Hope you're all doing well with Day 3, I know we can do this!

Plum x

Morning Everyone - Day 3 for me and I am truly enjoying the meals (other than an early breakfast - working my way to eat earlier and earlier).  I do have a headache today and feel just blah - I am sure my body is looking for it's carb and sugar fix!

On ward and upward - hoping to avoid killing all things and taking out that energy on cleaning the fridge!

Have a good one!  

Kat

Hello, fellow 30 day-ers!

I too would love to join this group if it's not too late. I've enjoyed reading your posts and knowing where others are coming from on this journey. I started on Monday as well, so on day 3 now and feeling pretty good so far!

My quick history: 43 years old, happily married mother of 8 year old twins and I work full-time. I've always been in pretty good shape despite a serious sugar addiction but the past 5 years or so the metabolism is slowing down and jeans are a seasonal purchase lately to the next size up. So yes, weight is definitely a factor for me, but I am also wanting to break my lifelong habit of eating refined sugars and bingeing on carbs. This is my first real attempt at a new way of approaching food and I am super excited. I love the attitude throughout this program - down-to-earth, practical and kind of hard-core (no slipping allowed). 

So: eating lots of eggs, veggies (keep shredded kale frozen for quick adds to smoothies and omelets), chicken, adding coconut milk to coffee instead of my usual embarrassing amount of sugar and cream, and drinking water like a sailor in the desert.  I'm not even going to consider adding serious exercise until at least week two or three - when this energy burst will apparently occur!

Plum, I haven't yet hit the Kill All The Things stage with the whole30, but I've been there before for other reasons. Hang in there, keep posting, keep paleoing and we'll get through it, right? 

Good to meet you all.

Sam

good morning ( sort of).  day 3 for me and i realize the support of others going through and feeling similar things would be helpful and necessary to make it through the next 27 days,  so here i am.   i am a self confessed sugar addict so the evenings when i reward myself with a treat, have been soooo hard.   wow!  talk about jonesing for sugar.  i was very tempted to steal some of my son's big league chew bubble gum, but the thought of having to start all over again stopped me.

i do not feel well today.  headache and hungry and a tiny bit weak but know that these symptoms are part of the process. i may need to step up the fat. i am going to forge ahead and go to spin class but take it easy and do a very light workout today.   i'm so glad you are all here and that i know when it's really tough to stick to it, i can log on to the forum and share with all of you and learn from all of you.

i have to remind myself, i chose to do the whole30 because i want to take my health and fitness to another level.  tired of being tired and feeling half awake.  isn't it beautiful that we can choose?   many in this world cannot.   we get to choose.  we have the privilege of doing the whole 30.  that's my attitude adjustment for day 3.

Hi everyone! Day 3.. so far so good for me. I managed to avoid the chocolate chip cookies we have in the house (for my 5 year old, when he takes his medicine). I guess I shouldn't be instilling a food reward in his brain at 5.. but that's another topic.

Looking for foods without sugar or corn syrup is really eye opening and frustrating. I couldn't find any bacon or sausage without strange ingredients or nitrates. So I made my own breakfast sausage this morning from the Paleo Comfort Food book. Really good, my husband loves it. 

Day two was tough without coffee. I usually drink a LOT of coffee with flavored creamers and splenda. My headache is gone today. But while I was out shopping, I could smell coffee and was really thinking about it a lot.

Anyone else use the App Two Grand? it's a food tracking app where you take picutures of your meals and track your water. You can link up with friends. I've found it supportive and helpful to get meal and snack ideas from other people. Plus it helps me mentally keep track of what I've eaten. The logo is two circles together..   I'm afillmore on there if anyone wants to check it out.

I hope everyone has a great day.

It's so great to see this group growing... we are Better Together, that's for sure.

Dang, sounds like almost everyone is fighting a sugar addiction, with me at the top of that list.  It really kind of makes me disgusted with our country and the food industry and what has happened to us all.  Let's break this ugly cycle, gang! We can do it!!

@ AFillmore, while i've always been a fairly healthy eater (lots of lean protein and veggies with limited breads, rice, or pasta) but coffee with flavored creamer is my absolute addiction.  That, and a glass or two of red each night. ;)  I switched to decaf with coconut milk and cinnamon on day 1 and I am really doing okay with it.  It is not sweet like I'm used to, but i still get that creaminess that I like and the cinnamon flavor helps tons. I even use this little milk frother I found (like a super mini emulsion blender) so its a lot like a latte.  I just cant do black coffee.

We'll do this everyone... one day at a time!

-Laura

Ha ha ! @LJT - I think we were separated at birth. I didn't buy more Pino Noir  last week.. and these three days without creamy sweet flavored coffee in the morning and red wine at night with my tv shows have been tough.... but eye opening. I used to sit and drink and snack on cheese and crackers at night. I just went to bed to avoid temptation last night.  Who doesn't need more sleep?

In 2012 I lost a lot of weight, but gained it all back plus some in 2013 while on chemo and sitting on the sofa.  The rest of this year.. and 2015, is my year to get my health back on track.

What's for dinner everyone?

I made the red curry chicken from the book. Cooked chicken, coconut milk, red curry paste, pineapples, onions, peppers .. it smells really good. I made it yesterday for dinner today.

:)

kellygirl, you're so right! I need to look at it from that point of view "we are privileged". We have a choice that many do not have and what will we choose??! Take our bodies for granted or invest in our health and or bodies?!!

Loving the positive energy I get when I log on! Thanks everyone for the support and sharing your thoughts. Have a great day :)

- Chaffee

kellygirl, you're so right! I need to look at it from that point of view "we are privileged". We have a choice that many do not have and what will we choose??! Take our bodies for granted or invest in our health and or bodies?!!

Loving the positive energy I get when I log on! Thanks everyone for the support and sharing your thoughts. Have a great day :)

- Chaffee

Hi guys, Day 4 starting here over in the Antipodes and so far so good.  

I had the BEST sleep ever and woke up smiling! I'm hoping Kill All The Things is finishing but still feel a bit niggled with kids.  I've decided today to get out in nature more (bike ride together his morning) because I know that always puts a smile on my face and makes me grateful to live in such a beautiful place.

I've also decided to put my Big Girl Pants on and be the adult here: I need to set the kids' expectations of what we do and what I need to do as well, and set limits so we all know where we stand.  

Sam I Am - hi and thanks for the encouragement, we have a lot in common! I love the idea of shedding the kale & keeping in the freezer ready to grab handfuls.  At the moment I just buy one of those huge bunches and watch it wilt and turn yellow in the fridge before I can finish it :)

Kellygirl - hi, and I love your post.  We are SO lucky that we can choose to adjust our eating habits, there are so many that can't or can't even et enough to survive.  I think I might make gratitude part of my daily routine too!!

Also, if anyone is interested in Mark Sissons' approach to exercise - which is basically to make it fun - I just read a great post from him today that gave me some food for thought.  Here's the link -

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-exercise-feels-like-a-drag-and-what-to-do-about-it/?awt_l=59vOY&awt_m=J4qtkY5flxWvYa#axzz3EGqXFevy

Here's to a great Day 4!

Plum x

Day 2 here and while I'm definitely satiated, I'm TIRED!  Probably doesn't help that Auntie Flo showed up; I hadn't factored that piece of fun in. Is Advil allowed? I feel like I should just power through it, but my poor family would have to deal with that.

My 15 yo daughter came to me this afternoon with a W30-friendly smoothie recipe SHE wanted to make.  Avocado, banana, pineapple, coco milk, lime juice and spinach.  It was delicious, and made me very happy to really see that the healthy-food discussion is spilling into the kids' heads.

@LJT, @AFillmore - crackers, cheese, and wine (1-2 glasses, LJT? Who only has one?).  Those would be my 3 desert-island items so this is a great opportunity to break those habits.  I feel your pain, ladies.

If you don't subscribe to the Daily 30, you may have missed the timeline, which is very helpful. I couldn't cut and paste the link, so just search 'timeline' in the W30 box.  Very interesting.  Looks like we're all about to Kill All The Things, if you're not already.

Go girls!  Stay strong!

Hi Everyone,

End of Day 3:  I honestly believe that today was easier because I joined this forum and knew I could check in with you all.   It's that "accountability"- thing and "we're all in this together" thing that is so powerful.   Thank you!   Your posts are incredibly affirming and helpful!

So today's lessons:

Lesson 1: I'm a major snacker!  I had no idea how much I snack and nibble mindlessly on random stuff throughout the day i.e. while making kids lunches, while cooking dinner, while doing the dishes,  while talking on the phone?  Who knew?!  Anyhow, that was an eyeopener.  Actually had to spit out a piece of non-compliant bbq chicken that I picked of my 9 year old's plate.   Much to her surprise I might add.

Lesson 2 : I heart Ghee.   Tried if for the first time today to sauté my veggies.   Delish!

Lesson 3:  I'm doing okay if the hardest thing I had to do today was NOT lick the knife after spreading Nutella on my daughter's toast. It was reallllllly hard not to lick that knife.  But I didn't!  Victory over Nutella knife!  That truly felt harder than my HIT spin workout today.  

Lesson 4:  I thought I was a sugar addict.   Now I know I am a sugar addict.

Let's Go Day 4!   What lessons are in store?

Kellygirl 

@Kellygirl Wow, I bet that Nutella knife was hard - I dunno if I could have held out against that kind of temptation! 

Speaking of temptation - I have made some homemade fruit liqueurs to give as presents at Christmas and I am having to check them every day and give them a shake just to get the sugar well dissolved - I have had to start doing it in the mornings instead of at night because the temptation to just have one little taste is VERY high!  :P

Lunchtime day 5 for me, post night shift so tired, hungry and grumpy. Took myself for a mani pedi, bad idea I wanted to yell at the technician. But I did find gluten free complaint sausages in the supermarket, 2 pack bought and in freezer, some cooking now for lunch with steamed veg.

Totally craving pizza and was half a step from picking up the phone then I caught myself. If I can stay compliant today I can survive anything!

I deliberately left the phones in the other room, I'm so tired even moving to get them is enough to put me off. I used my short burst of energy to go cook a big lunch, the gluten free sausages were pretty good. I'm now patiently waiting for a reasonable bed time, if I go now (5.30pm) I'll be up at 2am. Night shifts are a nightmare for messing up my sleep.

Day 3 here, feeling quite good.  I am pretty sure my sinuses are clearer (and I didn't know they weren't!) although the tiredness remains a bit. Shrimp curry last night - delicious.  I bought Nom Nom Paleo's iPad app and spent a good hour favoriting recipes for later.  That felt good in the "how am I going to do this?" area.

@Lexybelle, you're almost done with the Kill All of the Things days - you'll make it!  Are you a nurse?  Those crazy hours have got to be quite the extra challenge.

No Nutella, no chips and salsa...small but important victories.  Good job.

-Sarah

Hi all,

So great to hear how everyone is doing and thanks, kellygirl, for the link to the timeline thing. Love it.

I bought some compliant bacon at the coop last night, made up a bunch for my dad, two kids and husband and me. Just before I took my first bite, my inner COMPLIANCE FREAK insisted that I double-check the label and sure enough there was one questionable thing. The internet wasn't working. I have no detailed paleo print materials at home. Compliance freak took my bacon and put it on my kids' plates. 

But - surprise! - I survived with just an omelet with ghee-complimented stir fry onions, peppers and shrooms with some carrots on the side.

I can't wait to make the homemade mayo tonight! Carrots + mayo = kind of like dressing? 

kellygirl - yes I heart ghee too and agree that we are very lucky to have these choices to make. 

My name is Sam, and I am a sugar addict. Recovering sugar addict  ;)

Archived