Day 3 and some concerns

rackap

Hey- newbie here,

I've recently decided to revamp my lifestyle after realizing that the constant fatigue and exhaustion I've been feeling is unsustainable.  I started going to the gym 3-4 times, and this is the next step in my health journey. I've also heard incredibly good things about The Whole 30 in relation to people with chronic migraines, and I'm hopeful.

Here's my concern: even though i'm fat, (5'5 and 235) I'm actually (on paper) incredibly healthy. Excellent cholesterol, liver functions, blood sugar, blood pressure, pulse, etc. You name it, my doctor has run a test, and it's come back with flying colors. I'm not 

I'm concerned that the high amounts of protein (especially eggs, oil, and meat) will have a negative impact on my health. Has anyone experienced this? 

I'm also really struggling with meal planning, but that's more a planning issue!

Not sure why you think you will be eating 'high amounts of protein."  Have you looked at the meal template? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf .  It only requires you to eat 1-2 palm-size servings of meat/fish or the number of eggs you can hold in one hand for 3 meals a day.  The rest of your plate should be full of veggies and then add in 1-2 thumb sizes of fat.  You could consider buying the book "It Starts With Food" so you can have a better understanding why each of your meals should contain protein.  You don't have to buy the book, however, and can find much of the info you need on the website. 

Also, if you read the many success stories, you will only see testimonials of health improvements on the Whole30. I don't think you have anything to worry about!

edited for content

I bought the book, and I'm about halfway done reading it. I've also looked at the material, I just think in relation to my old eating ways, I'm definitely eating more eggs and meats now. I guess the answer would be to make sure some of that is balanced with fish and poultry. 

I guess to clarify, I'm just concerned because I've been eating a lot more eggs (a food I rarely eat in general), and because it seems like breakfast will include another serving of meat or eggs. 

Maybe I'm just overthinking it all! 

The meal planning template is your key to success on the Whole30. When it comes to this preparation is key and keeping it simple will take you far.

Your numbers may all show you as being healthy but you indicate that you are chronically fatigued and struggling with migraines which are not indicative of good health. I too was overweight with shiny happy numbers prior to my Paleo/Whole30 journey. Sometimes you don't know how bad you really feel until you feel better.

• Moderators

rackap, a lot of people question how this is going to affect cholesterol. I'd suggest googling Whole30 cholesterol and reading more responses. I don't know enough to go into the science, but basically, there's a growing amount of evidence that says that the cholesterol you eat has very little impact on your cholesterol levels, because your body produces cholesterol regardless of how much you're consuming. If you search through previous responses, I know this has been addressed before, and in particular, I know that moderator Tom Denham has linked to sources for more reading about this in several responses. 

The meal planning template is your key to success on the Whole30. When it comes to this preparation is key and keeping it simple will take you far.

Your numbers may all show you as being healthy but you indicate that you are chronically fatigued and struggling with migraines which are not indicative of good health. I too was overweight with shiny happy numbers prior to my Paleo/Whole30 journey. Sometimes you don't know how bad you really feel until you feel better.

I agree, that's why I'm making a bunch of life changes. I did some googling on this subject before, and came up with a mixed bag.

(Also added 3-4 gym sessions per week, to get some fittness in there.)

rackap, a lot of people question how this is going to affect cholesterol. I'd suggest googling Whole30 cholesterol and reading more responses. I don't know enough to go into the science, but basically, there's a growing amount of evidence that says that the cholesterol you eat has very little impact on your cholesterol levels, because your body produces cholesterol regardless of how much you're consuming. If you search through previous responses, I know this has been addressed before, and in particular, I know that moderator Tom Denham has linked to sources for more reading about this in several responses. 

Thanks, doing that right now. Answers a lot of my concerns.

Also, there are much more important numbers than just your total cholesterol. Your total cholesterol number, by itself, is pretty meaningless (unless you have familial hypercholesterolemia) and should look at certain ratios like Trig/cholesterol & HDL/cholesterol for starters. Admittedly, my cholesterol went way up several years ago after switching from a 2 year vegetarian stint (and prior to that a meat eater, but always low fat) to paleo. It went from 140's to 198-210, but my HDL has been in the 85-90 range which is cardio-protective regardless of the total number.

Archived