April's Whole30

AprilW

Day 0- I practiced whole 30 eating for a few days before I actually began (Oct. 1). Those days didn't go too well, the most notable being a bacon burger dinner, that was delicious, but later it was pointed out to me that the burgers contained chunks of cheese... oops.

Day 1 wasn't a ruff as I was expecting. Being sugar and caffeine dependent, I was expecting the worst. i have made a choice to give up coffee during my whole30 because I've been experiencing caffeine related heart palpitations; and really, coffee without cream just isn't worth it. Sugar cravings were at a 4 and latte cravings a 6.

The most notable thing for day 1 was how tired I was. I dragged through the day and was in bed by 9:30pm.

Day 2- I'm definitely feeling better today. My skin isn't crawling from caffeine withdraw and cravings are down to a 2. All day everything smelled like toast; I was about ready to search offices at work from the smell, but made it through with some water.

My stomach feels really heavy. I did not eat dinner the night before and this morning I still was not hungry. I forced myself to pick through breakfast and by the time lunch came around I had finally finished it off. I didn't eat again until 4 in the afternoon and again for dinner, my stomach says I'm hungry, but my head says I'm not. It's this heavy feeling... I'm going to try to eat a bit lighter tomorrow; lots more leafy greens.

I'm still waiting for the hangover period... although, I suspect i experienced that yesterday.

Could be... I remember when I did a simalar diet a few years ago, consisting of mainly veggies and protein, I got to the point where I just couldn't eat any more, yet, I was only eating about 800 calories a day. I was so full all of the time, I even burst into tears in my nutritionist's office because she wanted me to eat more.

I think I am going to try and balance my meals a little better, not eat so heavy in the morings (not less, just lighter veggies and more eggs vs. chicken meats).

I will go look for the enzymes as well... reading over the list of symptoms, I hit a couple on the list.

Thank you!

Day 3- Today was so up and down. I felt good this morning, got out of bed without hitting the snooze button 5 times. My energy was consistent throughout the day and even this evening, It's nearly 10 PM and I'm feeling awake.

Cravings are minimal however i feel myself being slightly irritated at my food. For about an hour this afternoon, all i could think about was how i missed my old way of eating and how all i wanted was to go back to it. But when i asked myself what food i wanted exactly, i couldn't answer. "Bread," I thought once, but what bread? A sandwich, pizza, bread roll, what? No answer. I think more so than a food craving this was a craving of habit. I am beginning to miss my routine of a latte in the morning and a carb filled grab-and-go lunch. I ate lighter veggies today and that helped a lot with the heavy stomach. Basically ate a chicken salad for breakfast and lunch, then spaghetti squash and sausage for dinner.

Otherwise, tonight I have a minor headache and my back is a bit sore. It was a bit of an injury filled day for me; first I hit and bruised my chin changing the water bottle on the cooler at work. This afternoon I was also rear ended while driving home. Everything/everyone is fine; there weren't even any scratches on either of the vehicles, but i got a pretty good whip out of it, so any body and headaches i feel tomorrow I'm going to blame that.

Day 4- I am in so much pain today. I took it easy this morning. Couldn't sleep so was up early, then I had to work at 2:00 PM. On the weekends I work at a doggie daycare and a 60+ pack of dogs has no mercy.

Energy is great today; awake and alert. Still craving a latte but sugar not so much. I had a dream last night that someone sat their pizza down next to me and without thinking, I ate it. It wasn't until after I had eaten 2 pieces that I realized I had just ruined my whole 30. i was so sad in the dream, I just sat and cried.

I made a stupid mistake today and forgot to eat lunch before I went to work. Thankfully I had planned to go to the store before work and they had Larabars. I've never had these, but they were good. I bought 2, because by the time I got to the store I was starving, and those were filling enough to get me through my shift and home without making a trip to the coffee shop next door.

Day 5- I am so tired today. Although tired, i was in a good mood this morning. I went to work and now, i'm done. Done with everything. I feel tired, have a headache, am lonely and hungry for something other that veggies or protein. I just want comfort food to the point that I'm seriously thinking about getting a coffee. I could even stand using coconut milk instead of cream at this point. Instead I tried mint tea with coconut milk. it was ok, but not the rich flavor that I'm craving.

Good news today was that i think my waist is shrinking. I didn't have any appropriate work clothes for today, so i pulled out a pair of pants that were just too small, thinking if i wore a long shirt it would cover any 'bulges', but there are no bulges! the pants fit fairly well, at least well enough i didn't feel like my midsection was being cinched. So something must be working.

Day 7- Feeling a lot better but also came down with a cold. Having truble with keeping food around because I'm starting to eat more and feel hungry in the morning. I'm not much of a 'preper' but I'm realizing that I do need to be more prepared. Despite the lessons I learn everyday I finally I feel like I'm getting into the swing of things.

Day 8-  My cold is getting worse. I'm tried feeding it good foods and stayed away from the emergency, but by the end of the day I needed the cold meds to function.

Day 9- Some how I turned my alarm off in the night... Woke up late but managed to make it to work on time. Only made it half the day though and went home at lunch. Slept another 5 hours and am just not feeling hungry at all. Thankfully I made a pot of bone broth; I'm just going to sip on this for the evening and hope I feel hungry later.

Day 11- still sick with a cold. I still want cake and coffee. i did not eat well today; I ate very little; eggs & bacon, that's pretty much it and I think that is why I feel so lousy right now. I tried some coffee today and my heart is palpitating. But in good news, i found some recipes i want to try and found ground lamb at the farmer's market.

Day 12- Still sick. I ate much better today, made sure to eat before i went to work, took a lunch and had dinner ready for when i got home. Also, I baked a spaghetti squash and have sausage ready for tomorrow! Whoa, i'm planning ahead... who am i? obviously, my mood is improving. 12 days, almost half way there. I never thought i would do this, a whole 30 challenge. feels good.

Ground lamb is so nice to have on hand!  Coffee too.  I'm super impressed that you stopped drinking coffee.  I did a while back, but switched to tea so I still had the caffeine, but even that felt better than coffee.  And then I traveled and tea was too hard so I reintroduced coffee and it took only one drink before I was hooked again. :)

Twelve days is awesome!  I wish I was there too, but I'll get there!!  Congratulations for getting it this far.  The hardest part is over and now it's just the sticking with it hard part to deal with, but it's so worth it.

Thanks Emma! I am coffee obsessed, honestly it was harder to give up than sugar, and I thing that my first food item when I'm off the whole 30 will be a latte.

Day 13- It's mid afternoon and I am falling asleep at my desk. Breakfast and lunch were kinda combined, so I think i'm just hungry; fish and broccoli don't sound half bad atm.

Super excited about dinner tonight! I'm making Shepards Pie, hopefully it turns out.

Day 14- The shepard's pie was spectacular! Ground lamb is now a staple in my home.

Feeling really good. Aleart, awake, although still having trouble getting up with the alarm. I definitly have loads more energy. Not only did I work 2 jobs this day, I went to the gym :) I also had a really difficult time falling asleep, probably due to having a coffee later in the afternoon. I didnt have dinner, mainly because I had nothing prepared and by the time i finished cooking it was nearly 11 PM and I really hate eating after 7 PM.

I'm noticing that when I don't eat or if I get to a meal late, I feel nearly faint, dizzy, and get a headache. Interesting... And there is no hunger progression or feeling more or less hungry; there is only HUNGRY

Day 15- I had a difficult time today, I think because I didn't have dinner the night before. All day I felt hungry; no matter how much I ate, I never got over the hungry feeling. I also was very tired all day; again, I think because I missed dinner. I began to get ready for the gym and some how fell asleep at 8:00 PM! and slept through the night. This morning (day 16) I also slept through my alarm.

Day 16- Tired, again, all day. Went to the gym and took almost twice as long as usual to run 3 miles. I also feel forgetful today. Went to the store and forgot half of my list, even though I had my list... overall, I'm really burning out on this. Debating quitting just because I feel like I don't have any food options.

Day 17- I am on edge today. Not tired but really over my choices of food. I can't go out anywhere because the restaraunts do not have complient food or they refuse to make adjustments to their existing dishes. tonight is date night and we're going to a local theater that has movies and serves dinner. I can't eat anything there, i've tried. cooking every night is difficult. I always make more than I think i will need for dinner, breakfast and lunch the next day but it's never enough. And i'm up until 11 or later cooking, which leaves a mess of dishes that I have to clean the next day before I start cooking, which only pushes cooking later into the evening. I'm not making complex things, these are easy, 1 pot dishes usually. I have no prep day availible either because i work 7 days a week. I don't have time for awesome sauces; I made the mayo, which was good, but didn't hold up longer than a day or two; I cannot afford a $12 bottle of oil every few days for mayonase...This is getting very expencive. Part of my goals in this were to lower my food spending but so far I've only doubled it.

And i'm so grumpy. I'm ready to bite someone's head off.

Oh stick with it!  You are in a rough patch.  I remember that rough patch and I'm dreading it coming up again this time.  The food prep takes forever and there never is enough food.  We eat like fiends - it's crazy how much we put down our bodies (little kids included).  Have you seen the Whole30 timeline? http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/  I know I like reading it because it lets me know that the downs are all part of the process.

Tonight I ate an entire acorn squash with no seasonings - nothing, not even salt.  It gets pathetic at times, but at least it was food.  I don't know what foods you like, but we've managed to pull off leftovers using nom nom paleo's curried cabbage stirfry.  I use an entire box of mushrooms, lots of cherry tomatoes and it ends up making more than enough http://nomnompaleo.com/post/41781593486/whole30-day-29-garbage-stir-fry-with-curried-cabbage.  We also use Thai Kitchen's red or green curry paste.  They're nice and easy and you only need coconut milk and fish sauce to make a paleo version of a curry dinner.

Unfortunately, I'm sick of all our normal stand by's and quick dinners.  Alas!  It does get better though. 

thanks emma, I really appreciate your response.

day 18 was not so bad. still grumpy and i had to work at doggie day care, so i came home sore and hurting (its more of a workout than the trainer puts me thought at the gym!) went to bed early but couldn't turn my mind off and it took hours to fall asleep. I also started my cycle again :( this is the 2nd cycle in 2 weeks, and i think thats why i was grumpy.

day 19 was much better, i'm not so grumpy but irritated easy. i also went grocery shopping and stocked my fridge as well as planned out some new recipes. I definitely feel less stressed having food in the house. I made the clothes make the girl's Shepard Pie and it is incredible. i've made this before and was absolutely crazy about it, so this time I doubled her recipe and plan to freeze some and (hopefully) eat the rest over the next few days.

I also plan to make her Bora Bora Fire Balls and Nom Nom Paleo's Spicy Tuna Cakes (but with salmon instead).

Since I'm talking about food, another fav is Roasted Garlic Soup and I did this Coconut Curry Cauliflower that was pretty good as well.

Your cycle again?  When I quit coffee last year, my cycle went from a super consistent 28 days to 17 or something really weird. I was a bit alarmed, but realized the only thing different was my lack of coffee.  I'm now drinking gobs of coffee, but that experience made me realize that perhaps it has a much bigger impact on our bodies than we often realize.  

Spicy Tuna cakes sound good right about now.  We've never had them, but we've had the Shepard's Pie and the Bora Bora fireballs.  Both really good and both left us with no leftovers! :) 

Hope your night goes better than your last.

Days 20-22 I'm struggling with energy. it's still difficult getting up in the morning and my 3:00 PM slump is back. I took a 5 hour nap today (day 22) and am still drowsy and wanting to go back to bed. I've also had the most intense sugar cravings so far. Cake, doughnuts, or especially this doughnut cake I found on Pinterest... Sigh. At this point I'm worried that I will never beat the sugar dragon. Even now, I feel susceptible to sugar binging.

I began my Whole 30 because I wanted to increase energy, break myself of sugar and coffee addictions and to point myself in the direction of loosing weight. So far I feel like I am accomplishing these goals. Although tired, I have more energy than I did; although experiencing the strongest sugar cravings yet, I'm able to resist indulging, which is something i've never been able to do before; and throughout this process i've learned new food habits and can feel my body changing.

With only 7 days left I'm really looking forward to reintroducing certain food groups. Beans, dairy, non gluten grains (quinoa), and lattes. I miss lattes more than anything. I also want to set some additional goals this week. 1) Exercise 5 times at the gym and build up to 1 hour on the elliptical. 2) Make the other two recipes I bought ingredients for (bora bora fire balls and salmon cakes). 3) Get 9 hours of sleep per night and see if that improves the mid afternoon slump. 4) Drink a full 112oz of water every day (i've been slacking this last week).

This has felt like the longest month of my life but i'm almost there! Just 7 more days!

Day 23- Wow, after the 12 hours of sleep I got last night, I have some energy today. However my back is sore and after 2 days of no cycle, it feels like I may start again.

I plan on having a big cook-up tonight and visiting the gym.

today's energy lasted through until bed time. My yoga class was awesome and afterwords I decided to do 1 mile on the elliptical. here is where something wonderful happened. I ran a 10:17 mile! this may not sound extraordinary but i have never ran less than a 12 minute mile... ever... in my life. Please forgive me for using this next sentence, but i'm way too excited... I just can't even right now....

Archived