Day 14 and I want to KILL ALL THE THINGS quite often actually

I am, for the most part, stoked to be doing this program and already have felt the benefits of more energy, better focus, less inflammation, fewer skin rashes, etc. I've made it through the hangover, the necessary naps, and a six-day stomach ache, and I'm committed to seeing this through. BUT. I am so. hungry. all. the. time. Even when I'm not particularly hungry--when I eat a compliant meal, I'm just not feeling satisfied. I can't tell if it's cravings, that whole psychological hold food has on us (really identifying with the timeline right now), or if I'm not getting enough fat, or what.

I eat until I'm full. I eat lots of protein. I add fats to every meal. But the second it's time to eat again, that moment my blood sugar dips, I feel extremely angry at anyone nearby and at every food group I'm not supposed to eat. And God help the family member who uses up the last of my ghee, or eats my last bag of nuts, or otherwise leaves me without other options when I'm needing sustenance.

What do I do? Add extra meat? I feel like what I'm missing is more grease and fat, but I'm not sure how to add more than I'm already using. (Pre-Whole 30 I felt most satisfied after ... hate to say it ... a fast food meal. Maybe I'm really addicted to that kind of fat, and this is the withdrawal? Am I making things up at this point?)

Does anyone else feel furious and vindictive about these restrictions at the halfway part, all the while grateful and committed and seeing progress?? I just fear I'll not be able to sustain this way of eating and living when it's over, even though it seems to be the only thing that has given me my energy back.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

• Moderators

Your hunger/satiation cues may not be accurate. In other words, you may feel full, but not be full. We recommend eating at least the minimum prescribed in the meal planning template and then move up towards the max described if you continue to struggle with hunger between meals. What we really need to help you is a good description of what you are eating and how much you are eating. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Thanks Tom. I'm pretty sure that if I tell you what I'm eating, it'll not look like a lot. For example, today:

Breakfast: One large chicken apple sausage sauteed with half a red pepper and a sweet potato (normally breakfast keeps me full, but I was hungry two hours later--I blame that today on lack of sleep)

Lunch: Hamburger and a salad and some white potato

Early dinner on the drive home from work: Same as breakfast (leftovers); plus carrots and avocado and olives

Another dinner: TBD in a few

I think the thing is I have always had 1) a small appetite and 2) problems keeping my blood sugar stable, so I usually eat every 3 hours, but haven't been on Whole 30 up to now. I can't eat a ton of food at a time. But maybe I need to be better about eating more often than just three meals?

Unless that sausage was the size of a baby's arm and the fattiest chicken ever, you're not eating enough! Try having two sausages, and add some ghee or coconut butter to your sweet potato to increase the fat content.

I'm on day 49 (I think) of my second Whole 30, and yes, I still experience the occasional anger and tears when I'm super hungry - but that is generally at the 7 hour plus mark these days (case in point - I was shopping on Saturday with a friend and didn't get home for lunch until 3.30, after having breakfast at 8. I was nearly in tears trying to find some plain sashimi at the shops, and I was so angry that I couldn't find any. But I also saw the ridiculousness of my emotions.)

I agree that I'm definitely hungrier (and hungry for carbs mostly) when I'm tired.

Try serving up a large breakfast, eat as much as you can possibly squeeze in and save the rest to eat later in the morning for if/when you get hungry before lunch. Keep doing that until you can eat enough to stop you getting hungry until lunchtime, and then you'll have found your perfect fit.

Unless that sausage was the size of a baby's arm and the fattiest chicken ever, you're not eating enough! Try having two sausages, and add some ghee or coconut butter to your sweet potato to increase the fat content.

I'm on day 49 (I think) of my second Whole 30, and yes, I still experience the occasional anger and tears when I'm super hungry - but that is generally at the 7 hour plus mark these days (case in point - I was shopping on Saturday with a friend and didn't get home for lunch until 3.30, after having breakfast at 8. I was nearly in tears trying to find some plain sashimi at the shops, and I was so angry that I couldn't find any. But I also saw the ridiculousness of my emotions.)

I agree that I'm definitely hungrier (and hungry for carbs mostly) when I'm tired.

Try serving up a large breakfast, eat as much as you can possibly squeeze in and save the rest to eat later in the morning for if/when you get hungry before lunch. Keep doing that until you can eat enough to stop you getting hungry until lunchtime, and then you'll have found your perfect fit.

Hey GoJo, that's the thing. I *can't* eat that much at a time. I don't have that kind of appetite and would feel sick if I stuffed that much food in my face. (Although, I can easily eat half a pound of bacon, go figure.) While I do add ghee to the sweet potatoes--I'll try adding more and see if that helps. Thank you for your encouragement!

Archived