GERD, pregnancy & Whole30

I never had any issue with heartburn or anything before getting pregnant, but since I've been pregnant it's been getting increasingly worse.  At this point (I'm 25 weeks pregnant) it's full on GERD.  My Ob has given me a prescription for Zantac, which I'm hoping will help, but it so bad that I get esophageal spasms, which are aweful.  Last night I thought I was going into anaphylaxis because my throat was spasming so badly.  I also wake up several times a night with burning and usually have to sit up for awhile.  I'm probably taking close to 15-20 tums daily.  Everything I read about GERD said to avoid high fats, meats, etc and to eat plain foods like bread, yogurt, etc.  I want to eat healthy, but I need to get this under control.  I'm worried I could be doing permanent damage here.  Does anyone have experience or suggestions of Whole30 (or even just paleo at this point) foods that I might be able to tolerate?  I really don't know what to do hear and I hear the heartburn just gets worse and worse from this point as baby grows....

I have had some issues with this that have completely disappeared with W30. 

The triggers for me are sugar and caffeine. Caffeine does it every time. If you still drink coffee, I would stop for now. No chocolate or cocoa or tea or green tea. Eliminate. 100% .

I also recommend sleeping with your head elevated. I was sleeping basically sitting up. I know it sounds grim but you get used to it and it helps a lot. Like A LOT.

I've never heard anyone in this smart food community say to eat bread and yoghurt  - those would be the worst things you can eat. 

Chris Kresser has a great series of articles about GERD if you can Google them. Well worth reading. 

I would say keep eating W30 paleo. No gluten or dairy. 

Avoid deep fried foods. Stick with the healthy fats recommended by W30. 

Avoid sugar even in the form of high sugar fruits. 

Avoid anything spicy. 

Eliminate caffeine completely. 

Can you post a few days of meals here? 

I don't have meal plans yet because I haven't started the Whole30.  I was thinking of starting it to see if it would help, but then when you read websites it seems to say all the Whole30 foods (fats, proteint, etc) are bad for GERD.  I just need some relief!

I used to take lots and lots of tums for daily heartburn as well. Eating Whole30 has mostly eliminated this. The common myth is that heartburn is caused by excess stomach acid, but really it is low stomach acid that causes it. In the case of pregnancy it is usually because the stomach has less room and things get pushed up. Instead of anti-acids you might try a glass of cold water with a tbs of raw apple cider vinegar. This usually helps me when I venture too far into the foods that cause heartburn for me (usually sugar).

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't taken the plunge, but I think last night was a breaking point and I need some encouragement.  I've been on Zantac for almost a month now and it's just not getting better (well baby is getting bigger so part of that is unavoidable, but still).  I continue to get esophagus spasms.  The other day I had to pull off the side of the road due to one.  Last night was horrible.  I woke up with my esophagus in spasms and burning up and down my throat.  I sat up for a bit and tried to walk around, but it didn't get better.  I then threw up for about 10 minutes (not by choice but from the spasms) and then continued to cough and feel like my throat was tight for several hours and I had to stay sitting up the whole night.  I am seriously worried I am doing permanent damage. 

Please give me some advice and encouragement here.  I'm 28 weeks pregnant and I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of going into a full Whole30.

• Moderators

I still haven't taken the plunge, but I think last night was a breaking point and I need some encouragement.  I've been on Zantac for almost a month now and it's just not getting better (well baby is getting bigger so part of that is unavoidable, but still).  I continue to get esophagus spasms.  The other day I had to pull off the side of the road due to one.  Last night was horrible.  I woke up with my esophagus in spasms and burning up and down my throat.  I sat up for a bit and tried to walk around, but it didn't get better.  I then threw up for about 10 minutes (not by choice but from the spasms) and then continued to cough and feel like my throat was tight for several hours and I had to stay sitting up the whole night.  I am seriously worried I am doing permanent damage. 

Please give me some advice and encouragement here.  I'm 28 weeks pregnant and I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of going into a full Whole30.

You got some advice for dealing with the heartburn above, and it sounds like Deb and Physibeth have more experience with it than I do, but I wanted to address your feeling overwhelmed at the thought of doing a full Whole30. If you feel like it would be too much for you right now, you could try incorporating parts of Whole30, but not necessarily doing a full one. Maybe start by leaving out grains and dairy. Or if you already don't have grains and dairy, pick one or two things you know you can change and focus on those for a while. While the results won't be as dramatic as they would be if you did a full Whole30, you will still be eating healthier, and maybe it will be enough to make you feel good enough to try to do more. 

Archived