Day 4 and seeking input

CaitlinI

Can someone please take a look at my day so far, and what I have planned for later? I'm on Day 4 and I'm still hungry between meals. Sometimes I think I'm eating too much, but when I read the forums I think it might be too little. I'm confused. But I'm happily not craving anything. 

B: Coffee with homemade cashew milk (raw cashews and water). 3 scrambled eggs, 1/2 small sweet potato with coconut milk, leftover sautéed eggplant with a drizzle of olive oil. (Very full after, I don't think I could have had another bite).

S: around 11:30 I was hungry and out, not to be home for lunch until 1:00, so I had a portion sized bag of raw almonds, which I store in my car. 

L: Whole large can of tuna made with onion and olive oil mayo. Large salad with butter lettuce, arugula, 1/2 avocado, carrots, tomato. 

Lunch is over and I'm full. 

thinking what to have if I need a snack. I think the plain nuts might not be the best option, though it's my go-to in "normal" life, I'd probably do macadamia nuts since I had the almonds this morning. 

plan for dinner: Seasoned tilapia, drizzled with olive oil. Brussles sprouts, shredded and sautéed, will drizzle some fat over them, probably olive oil, topped with 1/2 avocado. Another undecided green vegetable. Family is having roasted potatoes in addition, maybe I'll have some of those. 

So there you have it. All good happy food, I think. I was overwhelmed the first few days with all of the decisions about what to prepare, but decided today to stick with what I know, while tweaking to fit the plan, and it feels more comfortable. 

Thanks for any input.

Oh, salad dressing for lunch, olive oil (unmeasured!) and red wine vinegar. 

This brings up another question for me… I'm trying to not measure, but at the same time the meal template uses measurements, hand parts instead of utensils, but measurements nonetheless. Which is it? 

• Administrators

What time was your breakfast at? If your breakfast was around 6:30am, you'd be right on target for getting hungry around 11:30...even though the clock doesn't tell you it's time for lunch.  ;)

You could increase your egg consumption, a serving of eggs is how many you can hold in your hand so that is typically 3-4 depending on your size...maybe you're a "4" person?  I also find that eggs alone are not as satisfying as 2 eggs and a bit of meat in the morning, but that's just my experience.

If you are needing snacks between meals, you should try to make them a mini-meal (balanced protein, fat and veg per the template, just a bit smaller).

Do you exercise? If so, are you including a pre and/or post workout meal?

Thanks for your reply. 

Breakfast was 8:30, so 11:30 seems too early to be hungry. I was so stuffed at the end of the meal that I could barely finish. I guess my body is adjusting, maybe tomorrow I will add an egg but take it "to-go" as my mid morning snack if needed. To be honest, I haven't measured the eggs in my palm yet. I did put some shrimp in my eggs yesterday but I only had 2 eggs. 

I do hot power yoga, but I didn't do it today. I did yesterday and messed up the extra meal (didn't eat one before and had just nuts after, and was then ravenous before lunch, downing a huge amount of nuts in the parking lot of Whole Foods a half hour from home, where I was headed for lunch), I know to do it differently next time. 

• Moderators

Your food looks okay to me. We do prefer mini-meals as snacks, but overall you did well. Sometimes you have to eat Whole30-style for a few days before your body comes to terms with the nourishment you are giving it, so you may find this gets easier soon. Also, if you miss a meal or eat too light, that can throw off the whole day. I find it difficult to eat enough at two meals to make up for missing a third and I can eat a large amount of food in one sitting. Also, if I workout hard, but don't add an extra meal, I notice it later. 

Hi Caitlinl, I'm in exactly the same boat. On day 4 and have been so hungry today! It so useful and interesting to read peoples responses and so nice to know that someone else is going through the same thing. I'm going to work on increasing my fat and protein. I also think what Tom said about playing catch up with missed meals has an effect - I don't think my breakfast was adequate today and so I think I was trying to make up for it the rest of the day. Still, now I'll know for next time! Here's to a better day tomorrow! :)

Instead of planning to have a 4th egg at midday, make your breakfast with the extra egg, make it really big - eat add much as you possibly can and then pack the leftovers to eat if you get hungry mid morning. If you don't get hungry, add the leftovers on to lunch. That way it's automatically a mini-meal and you don't have those moreish nuts on hand "just in case".

This is what happened. I got hungry not long after lunch, around 4 (lunch was at 1:30). Instead of having what I had planned, a handful of macadamia nuts, I had the nuts plus a slice of sweet potato with coconut milk, and a few dried apricots. I was SO FULL. I usually eat dinner with my kids around 6 but I couldn't, I was still too full! I ate at 7 because I didn't want to eat too late, but I could have waited. Lesson learned about mini-meals, so much better!

I'm going to follow the advice tomorrow, bigger breakfast and have whatever I can't finish as a snack if necessary. 

Thanks so much everyone!

Archived