Oops... Did my first two days wrong, I think. :( Restart! Emotional eating?

Elleinad

I was looking up whether I can eat potatoes on "can I have...", and saw the short blurb about Larabars.

Pretty sure I've been "missing the point" in my first two days of W30. Have you guys tried Larabars??? The ones that are W30 compliant are packed with dates, and Oh So Gooey and Chewy. I've been eating them, over eating them (honestly), for snacks at work, while I'm home watching TV (in place of garbage I used to eat in front of the TV), and whenever I want sweets.

According to what I read, I'm reinforcing my old eating habits, and missing the point of the W30. And I agree with this, actually. I do tend to mindlessly munch, and emotionally eat, and this is something I was hoping to change with my W30.

Guess I'm going to have to save the Larabars for actual emergencies. I'm restarting my W30!!

On that note, are any of you dealing with emotionally based triggers to eat?? Like, feeling overwhelmed, bored, or slightly sad and so you rush to the fridge... Or just feeling pouty because some part of your brain thinks you're depriving yourself? How are you managing this?

Ideas and/or stories welcome!!

• Moderators

I think many, many people here deal with emotional eating. I know I have. And I can't keep Larabars around the house or I eat them all. 

For me, the most important thing is to make sure that I'm eating enough throughout the day. I'm less likely to snack, even for emotional reasons -- and if I feel tempted to snack, it's much easier for me to know that I'm really not hungry, and therefore easier for me to convince myself not to eat anything.

It's also good to have something else you can do when you're bored -- draw, paint, knit, crochet, read a book, journal, clean, go for a walk. Something that keeps you busy. And if there's something you're sad or angry or worried about, and that's causing you to want to eat, you'll need to deal with those emotions. Talk to someone about them, journal them, yell or scream if that's what you need to do (just not at other people, that's not going to help anything). 

I certainly haven't figured this out completely, I still have bad days when I want nothing more than to eat whatever sugary foods I can find, but it does mostly seem to be getting a little easier to identify emotional hunger versus actual hunger and easier to avoid giving in to those temptations. 

You can restart, or call what you're doing a Whole32, or just carry on from your original start date.

You may be hungrier than you realize - don't be afraid to eat a mini-meal including a protein and a fat if you do feel hungry.

I'm sure folks here will chime in with various ways to deal with emotional cravings, so I'll go a different direction. If you'd like some feedback on your meals, post your days' meals, water, sleep, exercise, and any other pertinent information here and we can help you with tips for dealing with hunger, cravings, and wrangling your way through a Whole30.

Eat up, enjoy, and hang out here for support and information. Happy Whole30ing!

Larabars are supposed to be for true emergency purposes only.

An emergency in my estimation....being stuck on Donner's Pass in a blizzard.   There's no way in and no way out.  Everyone is looking hungry and you've got to make a run for it.   As you depart, give everyone a Larabar and you might have enough time to get a head start.

If you live anywhere near a town or city with a small one pump gas station that sells a tiny basket full of apples at the cash register...that would be a better choice.

I can't think of any emergency except a power outage, hurricane, tornado or vehicle breaking down on the roadside that would be a true emergency requiring the Larabar.   Hospitals have cafeterias.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18467-binge-eating-how-do-i-break-this-nasty-cycle/?hl=%2Blarabars+%2Bemergencies#entry193883

Yes, or Kippers.   Foil packs of tuna, salmon will fit anywhere.   Sugar free jerky.   We just made some homemade jerky free of all additives and sugar.    My tiny gas station with one pump carries hard boiled eggs....two by two, just for you.   ;)  

Thanks, guys! AmyS - I think I will just do a Whole32. :) It's a good number.

Regarding emotional eating, today went really well. Once I got past the initial desire to snack, realizing that I'm not hungry, I actually felt relieved, and the desire went away.

I'm hoping that keeps up! I think the first several days are the hardest when it comes to letting go of old habits.

Hi all! I am on day 13 and I'm trying so hard to have will power! I am PMS-ing and craving all kinds of junk foods.  Up until this point I have felt really good and I felt I wasn't going to fall off the wagon.  But PMS is a really hard time of the month for me, always was!  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat to help these cravings??

Feeling desperate, Thanks!

Hi all! I am on day 13 and I'm trying so hard to have will power! I am PMS-ing and craving all kinds of junk foods.  Up until this point I have felt really good and I felt I wasn't going to fall off the wagon.  But PMS is a really hard time of the month for me, always was!  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat to help these cravings??

Feeling desperate, Thanks!

Carol, EAT. I eat SIX full meals per day when I'm in my pre-menstrual time of my cycle. Eat, eat, eat. Your body is not lying to you. You need lots more carbs (I eat them with every meal at that time of the month, so that's six rounds of carbs a day for a day or three). Go. Eat. Now. We'll wait here. ;)

I actually brought a Larabar to work with me thinking it's a good snack and I just read the prior posts and now I won't eat it:(

If you are hungry between meals, eat a mini-meal of protein and fat. Today, since that is new information for you, if you get REALLY hungry before lunch, eat the Larabar.

Aim in the direction of three meals per day that each satiate you for 4-5 hours. It can take time to get to where you can do that, so go ahead and have min-meals along the way. A big breakfast is really key to making all of this work, so if you've not been a breakfast eater until now, it may take some time.

We really do want folks to eat up, enjoy, and not be hungry on Whole30.

Archived