Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

Couple more things since I caught up with all of you after reading through the posts.  

Instagram - ckbailey97

greatbook - Against All Grain - not all recipes are Whole 30 obviously, but it seems like a great long term book, and alot of ideas.  

Will try the ice water - and maybe add a lemon slice.  Great idea.  I'll keep you updated. Having to report in helps immensely.  I need to get back into running in the mornings, but the first 2 weeks I gave myself the excuse of "I'll start back up after 2 weeks".  Now I need to just get after it. I'll try to run this evening when I get home. ugh. NEED to! 

So glad I read the Guac recipe - made some yesterday, and it was flavorless - before this. 

Also - Wife and 2 teen boys are not also doing this. My wife does help with meal choices (what she prepares - hamburger soup yesterday - mine on a bed of cauliflower rice, theirs on pasta) and supports it, and I think it helps her realize what she's eating, so she has actually made better food choices also. I don't really have the issues watching them eat something though - or even smelling the weekly cupcakes she makes for the boys lunches all week, so I am lucky there. 

Great work everyone - So cool to follow the tracks everyone has laid down, and @Kahaliti - any more issues with your husbands lightheadedness? When I read it I immediately thought electrolyte imbalance. I used to do Ultracycling - 12-18 hour rides, and learned the hard way that you HAVE to have something with your water. Coconut water is awesome - as mdraegerPNW said. 

Thanks for the support - I help I can return the favor. 

Colin

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colin, yes, that guac recipe will not disappoint - I make it twice weekly and put it on everything lol!

It's great that your wife is supportive and helpful but I don't know how I would fair doing this without my husband also doing it to kudos to you!!

I just started following you back on IG - looks like you're a runner! :-) my husband and I are going to start incorporating exercise into our routine this week, can't wait! Starting out slowly at 2 times a week for 1-1.5 hours. We really need to!!

I will definitely be bringing coconut water with us (even though we sadly dislike it) to keep us regulated and hydrated!! :-) Thanks!

Sorry in advance to the men on this string but I wanted to share a fun win on day 15.  I had to dig out a smaller bra and it fits.  :lol:  This is indeed a win for me.  I needed one smaller in all areas... whoop whoop!!  Then I put on jeans I dried in the dryer and they went on effortlessly...previously air dried as to not shrink.  Now I need the shrink  ;)

Sorry in advance to the men on this string but I wanted to share a fun win on day 15.  I had to dig out a smaller bra and it fits.  :lol:  This is indeed a win for me.  I needed one smaller in all areas... whoop whoop!!  Then I put on jeans I dried in the dryer and they went on effortlessly...previously air dried as to not shrink.  Now I need the shrink  ;)

VICTORY!!!!!

Dancing around  :D  for you!!!! 

Happy "halfway-there day", everyone! I love starting my day with this thread. It's so inspiring to see how everyone is doing!

I had a pretty good weekend. Another long trail run yesterday. I brought my applesauce and a winter squash apple soup in my gel flasks and will definitely keep doing that. I think the fat adapting thing is happening, because I didn't have to touch the back-up Larabar this time and didn't need as much applesauce. I took a chance on some expired coconut water afterward and I think that was a bad idea because my stomach was super queasy for a little while afterward. Thankfully, it resolved itself after a few hours.

For those folks looking for Thanksgiving options, I made Nom Nom Paleo's "Butterflied Big Bird", Umami gravy and cran-cherry sauce last year and everyone (all of them devout non-Paleo folks) RAVED about how good they were. The cranberries and gravy were both make-ahead recipes, which are always my favorite things.

@Mermaid: I'm so sorry you have to deal with that b*tch, I mean... person. I would not handle that well at all. I'll never understand those types of people. I guess her life is so miserable that she feels that she has to drag others down to her level. 

@Colin: I wouldn't worry about cutting down on salt. Unless you're dumping it on your food in crazy amounts, odds are that you are totally fine. Especially if you run, your body needs that. For the nighttime cravings, are you actually hungry (stomach growling, would eat fish and broccoli type of hunger)? Or is it just habit. If the former, you might need a bigger dinner. If the latter, you have to change the habit. I used to drink a cup of tea (which I don't typically drink all that often.) It gave me a comforting ritual in the evening, but didn't feed the craving. Eventually, I stopped wanting to snack before bed time.

@Michele: Welcome to the thread and congrats on the bra/jeans. I haven't reached that point yet, but am very much looking forward to it! :-)

M

@susancarole

Tuna - or Salmon (higher Omega 3's) - get the packet stuff.  Yep, more expensive, but cheaper than fresh, and from what I have seen and on the packet I put on my salad (I am eating a salad from the salad bar at work right now), the only additives in the bumblebee without the flavorings is water and salt. 

@Michele66

Congrats on any downsizing you have that you desire. Good for you! No concerns at all with a brag about a movement in the right direction. 

@Mermaid

That sucks bigtime about your "friend". Jealousy is a wicked b!tch though, and rears it's ugly head in many ways, making some people very visible for their true selves. I have some "friends" like that, and I still hang out with them. I just understand their attitudes, and don't let it bother me. 

@mdraeger

Nighttime cravings are just that, cravings. Not hunger at all. I'll try the tea, I did that once before when I gave up sugar, and it worked well. Good call.  

The burning fat thing takes time and the proper diet - which lo and behold, you're doing! I started with weaning myself off of taking anything on my shorter runs (around an hour) and worked up to my longer 2+ hour runs. This was 2 years ago, and I built up to where  I could go about 2.5 without a bonk. My pace also dropped about 2 minutes per mile, though diet and training helped there. I did find during those runs, it takes far less of a carb to get me through. I might take a gel during a race and only use half. I have some books at home that I can look at tonight and get the titles for and authors if you want. They're quite good. Metabolic Efficiency Training is the general google search. 

Sidebar - HUMA Chia gels are really good (all natural real food - but not whole 30 I don't think), and bigtime sidebar - have you had the Salted Caramel one's that Gu makes?  WOW! -  sorry..  sorry.. squirrel..  

@ Michele thanks for the recipe!

My husband loves to make sweet potato pie, so maybe I can convince him to make this for me for Thanksgiving!

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I was really looking forward to that as being my goal... just make it to Thanksgiving and can gorge self on foods... but the more I think about it, the more I realize that maybe I should only pick one or two things to gorge on. That way no one is going to find me in a gravy coma, with bits of cranberry sauce crusted on my face.... just saying

So a victory for me today! I ran 26 flights of steps today followed by a 5 minute cool down run... the steps were tough, but by the time I got to the run I was feeling fantastic!!! even before the whole 30, I was running on average of 15-20 flights with a cool down run... progress is good!

Keep it up everyone!

We decided to do a W30 Thanksgiving even though we are technically done when hubby said, Thanksgiving is all about gorging on good food and then feeling like crap afterwards.  What if we gorged on good food and felt really great afterwards?  I was sold. 

Can I like this 100 million times over? I looked up the nom nom Paleo recipes mdraegerPNW posted about and am going to make the cherry cran sauce for myself and the sweet potato pie... I may be a little bad and have some of my grandmother's stuffing, it really is the only thing that I really feel like is worth it... funny if you asked me 14 days ago, I would have told you I could not wait to strap on the feed bag, but now I don't want to feel bad after... so will only eat something that is worth it!

@madsciencem.  Congrats on a great work out!  Gravy coma?  Funny, I've done that so many times!  I know!!  re what hubby said, I was floored really.  I hear ya!!  I have given myself the OK to have a glass of wine in the same spirit!

@ Colin.  Thanks for the thumbs up!

@mdraegerPNW.  thanks for the turkey suggestion!!  I like her stuff...

Wow this thread has turned into the super support center and I LOVE IT :).  Day 15 and I'm feeling so good, it was worth the last 14 days 10 times over.  Food is going down again and I'm eating smaller amounts and not feeling hungry.  I didn't dream about food last night and slept like a rock....wooo hooo.   I'm loving all the great recipes everyone is posting so thank you all.

I knew it would be really hard starting this at this time of year but I'm so grateful that I did.  I feel strong to get through the holiday's and my new lifestyle is not waiting again until the New Year.  

@Colin one of the main reasons I did this was to reset everything about my food.  Eating times I've been keeping pretty strict and not letting my self graze or eat in between the meals unless I've worked out.  My big thing was to stop night eating.  It's been tough but that was just a "goal" I set so it's been my focus. I just do not eat anything between the hours of 7:00pm and 8:45am. Drink lots of water :) 

It's great to have you all, HALF WAY THERE.

Am I the only one who feels like stabbing someone in the face with an ice pick or lopping off an ear? 

That made me LOL!  And I think it did because you found the words to describe what I've been fighting the urge to do :lol:  However, I think hormones are rearing up on top of everything, and I'm still really po'd about my back.  I have been making all the right choices with eating, and WANT to step up my workouts, but there is no way I can now.  And, because of my crazy schedule, I can't see my chiropractor until Thursday. 

I have a bit of a confession.  I have only eaten compliant, but lately have been sneaking too many nuts or grapes, or what-have-you, when it's not meal time.  I know this isn't proper Whole 30 form, and I need to stop - NOW.  I am not going to call this Whole 30 effort a wash because of it, but I'm just upset since this just started in the past three days.  I'm still awfully uncomfortable from my back ordeal, and I think the snacking is a backward step - that whole psychological aspect we are to address during our Whole 30.  Even though the foods I am snacking on are compliant, I am not snacking because I need to - it's just a response to a stressful trigger.  So - that's my story.  

Otherwise, happy to be past the two week mark, and I do feel better in so many ways!

@Nashville and Livin4Lish - glad I could make you laugh...and that I got through the night without wielding an ice pick.

@Living4Lish - I have noticed myself snacking (out of boredom and stress) more in the past few days, too. And I'm noticing that I'm not really even hungry when I'm doing it. I'm going to try and cut it out, too. I'm still bloated, too...weird. Maybe it's the extra snacks? And probably too much fruit/dried fruit. Time to fine-tune the regimen again... ;)

Happy Day 16, everyone! 

Ahhhhh DAY 16!!!  On the homestretch officially!!  The days ahead are shorter than the days behind me.  Such a good feeling! 

I awoke today feeling marvelous.  We both slept through the night and energy is off the charts.  Nice to have it back as yesterday I felt like crud after dinner. 

@ Nashville - I love what you said about the holidays.  Normally I am gripped with fear about how bad will it be in the end.  This year by doing this there will be no need for New Years resolutions as I think I am going to sail through in control!  This was part of my strategy in starting before TG.  Wasn't sure if it would work...but think it will!

@ Saara - No, you are not...I swing all over the map.  Huge highs and when I get triggered, kill.all.things takes over...that was me for a part of yesterday when yes, another migraine started to take hold.  Seriously had enough of the headaches.

@livin4lish - I think this is great information.  Only 3 days of it before you examine what is happening here?  I call that success!!  

Wishing everyone a very nice day!

Happy day 16, everyone! 

I had to take a nice heaping cup of my own advice to Livin4Lish last night. For whatever reason, my inner two-year-old was raging. I just wanted anything off-plan, for no good reason. I managed to not feed the cravings, but it was surprisingly rough. I'm endlessly fascinated by how different each Whole30 experience is. I eat pretty close to the program most of the time without any problem, but you remove that little bit of wiggle room and it's SO HARD!

But I'm working at home today, so I got to sleep in a little bit and make myself a nice breakfast (bacon, eggs, and sliced sweet potato roasted in the oven with a little olive oil over a handful of spinach and baby greens. YUM!) So, I'm feeling a lot better today. The sun is shining and I'm going to take a hyper yellow dog out for a run at lunch. My goal today is to focus on those simple pleasures in life. We'll see how it goes.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Hello everyone!! My cravings are vanishing but that doesn't mean they won't resurface! I'm feeling great, woke up feeling ultra-thin and despite the rainy cold day, my mood is great! Today I ate 1 egg over easy (I hate eggs but I'm trying to influence myself to like them lol) and two slices of turkey bacon with pomegranate. I'll be slow cooking a homemade spaghetti meat sauce for tonight to put over zoodles because today is CLEANING day! My house is a mess and needs to be tackled! A clean house is always so therapeutic to me!

Tonight after dinner, my husband and I will be incorporating exercise into our weekly routine! Really looking forward to it! Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated as we have not exercised in so long (other than our daily long walks with the dog)!!

Good luck on day 16 you all!!! :-)

@susancarole

Tuna - or Salmon (higher Omega 3's) - get the packet stuff.  Yep, more expensive, but cheaper than fresh, and from what I have seen and on the packet I put on my salad (I am eating a salad from the salad bar at work right now), the only additives in the bumblebee without the flavorings is water and salt. 

Hey ther ColinB:

It's just too much cost to get the Tuna in the "little foil packets"; the "per unit" cost for foil packets VS the can p/u cost is astronomical. I found even the Bumblebee brand had soybean oil. But no worries, I found W30-compliant Tuna at Whole Foods. I basically needed them for post workout nutrition. Thanks for your response, appreciate it.

Hey there y'all!!

Wanted to let you know that last night I made the most fabulous chicken breast in the crockpot. In a ZipLoc bag, I marinated 1-1/2 lbs of Chicken Breast (3  breasts) in a bottle of Tessamae's Lemon Garlic "dressing/marinade/dip" for about 1 hour. Then threw (not literally ^_^ ) the whole mess in my mini crock pot for (it turns out because of an after-work appt) about 12 hours. Oh my goodness.....the BEST ever!! Had 1 breast for dinner, along with 1/2 baked white potato and 1 avocado. Used some of the "juice" from the crock pot and salt & pepper on the baked potato.......this, I think, was the most scrumptous W30 meal ever!!

Gosh, love all the support here. I fight my cravings, especially at work, by snorting the scent of my 2 co-workers' food (especially when they snack on my favorite Cheez-its)! Having my daily serving of fruit with my dinner usually helps with night eating. Sometimes if i have my fruit later in the evening, I eat it with nuts or almond butter. This helps the cravings too. I am getting better about what I call "sleep eating", which usually occurs when I awaken after having fallen asleep in my chair, then I go to the fridge before going straight to bed. Ugh....hate it when that happens, but it is occuring less & less, so I'm happy about that & I refuse to beat myself up about it. At least my night eating is in a snack portion & W30 compliant :D  :P . 

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THANKSGIVING, SINCE OUR W30 OFFICIALLY ENDS THE TUESDAY BEFORE?

Crazy observations... anyone else notice unexpected shifts while doing W30?  I have.

• I am becoming a nicer person... for real.  I think W30 is changing my personality.  :D
  • I look in the mirror and think, not so bad (despite no huge change) vs UG really??
  • I am way more patient.  Never been one of my virtues
  • In general my mood and mood swings are way different.  I am sure I am way more fun to live with

@mdraegerpnw....I hear ya. I can honestly say with any wiggle room in this thing I would not have made it this far.

@susancarole... thanks for the crockpot reminder.  Mine is not being utilized right now and you have convinced me to dust it off - we could use some variety in our eating.

As far as Thanksgiving goes....the only thing I want is red wine.  Everything else is cool with me to be compliant.  I can't wait to have a glass of red wine. :P

Archived