too much clarified butter? coffee?

jais

My husband and I are on day 6 and got an out of the blue call from out of town friends we haven't seen in years to meet at a pancake restaurant before they leave town. We couldn't change the place, so we went and tried to stick to the plan. I had two poached eggs with diced potatoes, my husband had over easy eggs with potatoes and we shared a fresh fruit platter. We drank black coffee and didn't get meat since all their options had sugar. We were told that the potatoes are cooked in clarified butter (and there wasn't an option to use olive oil), so we agreed since it was technically okay by my understanding.

Both of us were feeling a bit queasy after. We don't know if it was too much coffee (2 cups each) or too much clarified butter in the potatoes. Should we cut these, too? Did we accidentally go off plan?

• Moderators

It makes no sense that an ordinary restaurant would have clarified butter and certainly not a pancake place. I am skeptical that you had any clarified butter. My guess is that the cook used ordinary butter. I don't know why you would have felt queasy from that food, even if the cook used a lot of butter. 

I bet the waitress's definition of clarified butter is that "squirtable" butter/oil hybrid stuff you see brunch buffet cooks using on the omelette pans.  Since it's not solid like a stick of butter she thinks it's clarified.

I didn't ask for clarified butter, I just asked what it was cooked in and she came back and said clarified butter so I figured that was correct since she specified "clarified" on her own with no prompt from me. I feel fine now. We don't regularly drink coffee either.

It wasn't a greasy spoon.

Is this an issue where we would have to start over?

Well, I was really unhappy that I may have eaten regular butter, so I called and asked what they use to cook, then when they told me clarified butter I asked what that meant (I had no idea until last week). They explained the process of how they clarify it (the correct way) so it really was clarified butter. I think maybe we just drank too much coffee since we don't drink it regularly and usually drink it with milk so we had more than normal.

Archived