100% AWESOMENESS COMING SOON......

found.in.nature

Well, as embarrasing as it is to admit, I've been here before. Making notes stating that this is "Day 1 of Whole30". And then quit by day 3, 4 or maybe 5. Because it's someone's birthday so I must have a glass of wine. Or there's a baby shower so of course I have to have the cute pink cupcake. Old friends are in town and we're getting take-out. The cycle continues. I eat clean about 80% of the time and then let the weekend completely ruin me. It's a nasty, nasty cycle. The good news? I CAN CHANGE IT. I can break the cycle. I'm in total control. That's right. If I choose to succeed or fail - it's on me. 

I feel like today is different. Today is new and I have a new attitude. Not only do I have a new attitude but I've prepared myself and have laid the groundwork for success. Yesterday, I planned each and every meal for the next week. I went grocery shopping and got every single item that I need to make each and every meal. There is no tempting junk food in this house. I did my food prep so meals are quick and easy. I cleaned out the refrigerator and pantry. I am prepared. I am following my meal plan. I am going to succeed. In addition to preparing, I also posted the "I am doing the Whole30" icon on my Instagram, promising my followers updates and quick recipes. Now I'm accountable to others as much as I am myself. 

Completing the Whole30 would be an enormous victory for me personally. Yes, I could tell others I did it. But mainly, I want to do it for ME. Because I've never be able to before. Because my relationship with food is probably the toughest relationship in my entire life - and I feel as if it's a really important one. For the most part, I am a very motivated and determined person. I feel like I have every other area in my life under control and happy with the way it is.  I don't blink an eye at having to work hard for something. I don't think twice about training for multiple marathons (through the winters, might I add!) or even sigh at the idea of working 50+ a week and completing my Masters degree. Preparing to speak in front of 500+ people? Not a huge deal. So why in the hell has sticking to a "diet" always been so damn defeating for me? I don't get it. So I'm going to change it. Starting today. Right now. I am going to change my life, the way I eat, and my relationship with food in the next 30 days. 100% awesomeness coming soon, very soon....

November 4 -  Day 2!

So, I looked at the Whole30 timeline post yesterday and it kind of made me chuckle. "Kill all the things" and "I just want a nap" are just kind of cutesy and funny to me. I thought, ehh, it won't really be like that. I'm sure I'll have my moments but I think I can power through this. Well, let me tell you, I feel hungover today! I am still extremely excited, motivated, etc., etc., but I have a headache and just feel a bit foggy. Like a hangover! So I guess there's truth behind this little timeline, huh? Wow! That was unexpected and very humbling. 

Aside from that, I had such a fantastic day yesterday. Of course, I followed by meal plan and made sure everything was compliant. But the more exciting part of my day 1 was that 3/3 of my meals were new and something I hadn't made before! That made this day so exciting and fun for me. I've already mentally noted little changes I will make in my recipes next time. I think that trying new recipes or even new foods is one of the most exciting things about doing the Whole30. I've also found good support in my close friends who are also "health nuts". They aren't doing the Whole30 but they are always asking me for recipes and keeping me accountable. I have also found support in Instagram, oddly enough. The hastags, community, and followers there definitely make you feel responsible for posting food pictures and making sure every single thing is compliant. It's exactly what I need to keep going. So far, I feel cheated out of nothing as far as food is concerned. I went to a KU basketball game last night thinking I would feel tempted but that food almost made me gag just from the smell of walking through the concession areas. I still have 28 1/2 long days ahead but I'm just going to coast on this feeling of accomplishment, motivation, and excitement for right now.... And hopefully kick this headache to the curb......

November 6 - Day 4

Well, with the exception of dinner, I'm through day 4! I hate to say this out loud in fear that I'll jinx myself, but so far, this has been a breeze! I was definitely feeling "the hangover" on day 2. But woke up yesterday (day 3) feeling much better and refreshed from a great night's sleep. Today has also been a great day so far. I seem to have energy (not an abundance, but still have energy!), and I don't want to kill anything yet! I know I have 26 long days ahead but I'm enjoying this moment and feeling of accomplishment. 

Yesterday was a big victory and accomplishment for me. It was our nephew's 1st birthday party. I knew this would be one of the several "tests" I would be challenged with throughout this 30 days. All of our family was there, they had a big dinner prepared, cakes, ice cream, cupcakes, the whole works! I planned my meal and eat before we left. I stashed cashews and a banana in my purse to take with me. While I was there, I didn't eat a single thing except for my cashews and banana. I even had cupcakes right under my nose as I had to pass the plates around the table. Our family doesn't necessarily understand our "lifestyle" or way of eating. So of course, I was questioned and comments made about why I wasn't eating. But I felt so empowered by just saying NO and not even feeling bad about it. The sugar dragon has always been a weakness of mine. I was so proud and now I have no doubt that I will complete the next 30 days successfully.

Here we are at day 6. It's so crazy that's it has already been a week. After 6 days, I already feel better, I feel skinnier, and I feel empowered. I was reflecting on the last 6 days this morning when I had an epiphany. I haven't snacked ONCE since starting the Whole30 - not once! Usually, I'm snacking every couple of hours between meals. And when I'm not snacking, I'm thinking about snacking because I always felt hungry. Well, not this week! I haven't even thought about it. I just haven't. It's amazing!

I must stay focused through the weekend. Weekends have always been most difficult for me to eat well and stay on track. But I know I can do it. I have every meal planned out and I'm going to stick to it. Happy Friday!

Day 7, nice to meet you!

Here I am at day 7 and I'm feeling pretty proud that I've made it a week. I've never met this day before and I'm soaking up this feeling. This past week has not been difficult. It's actually been easier than I thought but I did a lot of planning and prepping which helped a lot. Now that I'm in the weekend, I know that I really have to stay focused and motivated. Weekends are always the most difficult, where social events are planned, and when we eat out. Since my husband and I are taking a day trip, I know I will have to eat out today for the first time during this Whole30. I'm so excited for our date day but I'm also very nervous about eating out. It's not for fear that I'll be tempted to eat unhealthy. It's more because I'm afraid I'll order something that I feel is compliant but really, it's not because of hidden ingredients. Isn't it sad that we can't trust our food industry or eating out because they don't tell you everything that's in it? I find that so sad. 

Anyways, today I will really practice on staying focused and conscious of what I'm feeling. I can make it through the weekend and on the week #2. I am strong enough to do this and I am worth doing this for myself. Happy Weekend! 

How is this already Day 8? Getting through Friday and Saturday are even bigger victories for me! Those are always the days I struggle the most and usually fall off the track I stay on during the week. So, being at Sunday without any slips is a big victory for me. Today I will do all my meal planning, grocery shopping, and prepping for the next week of my Whole30. It's so amazing that my husband is so supportive and he's even started telling people he's on the "WholeHalf" because half of his meals are Whole30 compliant. The other half he takes meals to work or eats out. He's been amazing. 

So far, I've haven't feel any super strong urges to quit or to give in to any cravings. I know I can do this. However, I think this upcoming week may be a little more difficult. That just means I have to plan and prepare more. I have to prepare meals, yes, but I also have to plan for situations that I know are coming this week. 

Feeling great!

Today is day 11 and WOW! It is going so fast and hard to believe it's the middle of November already. 

I am feeling pretty great today and this has been a busy but awesome week. It makes such a difference to plan, shop, and food prep on the weekends. The week days seem so easy and I already know what I'm eating for every meal. This also eliminates so much temptation for me if I have to think about what I wanted to eat for each meal. The only thing I've missed or craved at this point is wine! I do love wine and it's something I have (usually) about once, maybe twice, per week. Other than that, I haven't had any strong cravings or urges to quit. I've also had quite a bit of energy! I've worked out every day as I normally would. I had kind of planned to back off my workouts during the Whole30 because I've read so much about people experiencing fatigue and being tired through the first week or two. That hasn't been the case for me which is great!

Kirkor - I have actually eaten out twice now during this Whole30! I have to say that this time around, I haven't hesitated to ask the waitress about every single ingredient that goes in to the food. I know this is probably annoying. But I'm always extremely friendly and leave a good tip for being a pain in the ass. :) I've had to modify these meals from the menu but I'm okay with that! I just blame it on food allergies and they're usually very nice about checking on everything for me. 

Anyways, I'm super excited I've made it thus far and ready to see what the rest of the week brings to me. I hope I'm through the worst of it - even though I can't complain about any symptoms or cravings yet. It still amazes me that eating clean in the first place still caused bloating and stomach issues. BUT, i have not had ONE problem in the past 11 days. PURE AMAZINGNESS!

Today is day 12 and I have 18 days to go! I'm feeling full of energy, happy, content, and super excited about my clothes fitting looser already! Even more exciting for me is the fact that I still haven't had any stomach or bloating issues. This is so huge for me!!!!

Although losing weight wasn't a big motivation for me to do the Whole30, I am super excited to see a couple pounds (an estimate) come off in only 12 days. I consider myself to be pretty healthy and in great physical shape. But, I do love having 5-10 pounds off. I feel better and fit better in to my clothes. I just feel more confident! Love it!

I'm still hoping that I don't experience the strong cravings and temptations that most people experience during their Whole30. From research, it seems like the first 1-2 weeks are the toughest for people to handle the sugar cravings and food dreams, etc. I don't want to jinx myself but this experience has really been pretty easy for me thus far. I've felt prepared, motivated, and determined and haven't even considering quiting or breaking the rules one time during these 12 days.  I know that I have some challenges ahead, such as Thanksgiving, but I know I can do this. I'm determined to stay focused and not be swayed by outside influences such as family and friends. 

I also have to say that I am just beyond thankful for my sweet husband. He doesn't ask questions about what we're eating and has eaten all my Whole30 meals and just raved about them. He is so supportive and behind me 100%. He is also very healthy and nutrition conscious so he's been asking me a lot of questions and my experience so far which is encouraging to me. I've read so many people's comments on the forum about their spouse and family being completely unsupportive, having to make separate meals, getting in arguments about this "stupid diet". That, to me, is just unfathomable. So, it makes me very thankful that my husbands eats whatever I put in front of him and tells me how much I'm appreciated daily for planning, shopping, and cooking everything we eat throughout the week.  :)

Well, it's the morning of day 13 and IT'S FRIDAY! My absolute favorite day of the week! I'm going to use this day to meal plan, get groceries, meal prep, do hot yoga, and get things done around the house so I feel organized headed in to the weekend. Again, weekends have always been my most difficult time to stay on track and focused. Not anymore! The planning and preparation I've done for this Whole30 is going to become a habit for me even when Whole30 is done. It's been so convenient for our busy schedule and a huge time saver. And it gives me no choice or time to think about unhealthy options when all I have to do is look at the menu and see what I have plan. It's worked so well!

So yesterday, I got so rather devasting news, at least for me. I did food sensitivity/allergy testing about a week ago and got my results yesterday. I am severely allergic to......COFFEE, CAULIFLOWER, AND BEEF (among other things that I don't care too much about). I mean, coffee.....need I say more????? Cauliflower is a favorite and something we have in some form (rice, sauce, roasted) at least 2-3 a week! While beef is less bothersome, it is still something we use 1-2 a week in so many of my staple dishes. They recommend ground bison....ew! I'm really going to have to do some adjusting to our diet and try to get these foods out because I do think it will help me to feel better. And Coffee?!?!?!? I can't even talk about that right now!!

On a more positive note, I got two new cookbooks yesterday - Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo. I'm super excited to dig in to these cookbooks this weekend and try some new things in the coming weeks. I am definitely feeling more energy now and enthusiasm to keep going and keep finding ways to feel even better! I've really become obsessed (but in a good way) about food, nutrition, reading, and finding all the perfect tweaks in my diet that I can sustain for a lifetime. Now I'm realizing what all this Whole30 fuss is really about. Looking forward to the days ahead! 

Well, I thought today was day 14 but my post above (two days ago) shows otherwise. So maybe it's day 15? I don't really know. And I think it's pretty amazing that I've lost track of the days because I'm just focused on healthy eating. I've already made plans of certain things to leave out of my diet once the W30 is over. 

Anyways, I've caught some type of cold or sinus thing and feeling pretty crappy right now! Ugh - I do not get sick often! I've been talking some herbal tinture that usually helps and using peppermint/tea tree oil to clear out my sinuses. This business has got to go!!

Other than that, I've been feeling pretty great. I look in the mirror and I see myself looking better already. Even if no one else can tell, I don't are. To me, it's all about how I feel and think I look. The past week I've been obsessed with sweet potatoes, eggs, and avacado. Actually, I don't know if I'll ever go back to shakes for breakfast again because I enjoy this breakfast so much! Prior to whole 30, I made shakes every morning for breakfast (spinach, coconut milk, chia, flax, fruit, etc.). Now, after having real food for breakfast, I don't think I can go back to shakes. I enjoy breakfast so much and it keeps me fuller, longer. I've also replaced my morning coffee with tea the past 3 days. I enjoy my tea but really missing coffee right now. But, over time, I think I'll be fine with the switch. I also purchased ground lamb and ground bison yesterday at the store...this is a first for me! I was happy that I found local meet, grass fed, grain free, nothing added meat too! I have both of these included in my meal plan this week so anxious to give them a try. Usually, I'm pretty comfortable in the kitchen and cooking with ingredients. But this is new for me so not sure what to expect. I'm very open to trying new things though!

Anyways, here's to a great Sunday. I should be able to go to church (if I'm not sneezing all over the place), spend some time with my hubby, and lounge around the house most of the day. Looking forward to it!

Happy Monday! So many people despise Monday's. I actually love Monday's. It gives you a fresh day, fresh new week, and fresh start. I always use Monday morning to plan and look at the week ahead to make sure I'm as productive as possible. Especially, after yesterday I am so glad for a new day. Yesterday was a ROUGH day. I came down with this cold/sinus thing and felt absolutely horrible yesterday. I was achy all over, sneezing, couldn't breathe, runny nose, tired, and just felt plain awful. My poor husband! I know I was not fun to be around. Because I was feeling so crappy, I didn't want to cook or fix anything. I wanted all the junk food in the world! I was craving anything and everything! I was so close to giving up and ordering take out. But I held strong! My hubby made us lunch (eggs, veggies) and dinner (spaghetti squash tuna casserole) and I was so thankful for that!

On the plus side, I got plenty of rest yesterday and spent most of the day in my jammies in front of the fireplace, reading, and watching cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies. Although I felt miserable, this gave me needed relaxation and "me" time. I went to bed super early and woke up this morning feeling a bit refreshed and rejuvenated. I slept great last night and even woke up to do my normal 5am cycle class. Glad I did that! I still feel stuffy and nose is running. But, I'm not achy or cranky which I think is worst than dealing with runny nose. So, I'm okay with that. I'm hopefully on the downhill and will be feeling much better by tomorrow.

Today is halfway for me and I'm excited I've made it this far and haven't felt overwhelmed or at all burdened about what I can't have. Instead, I've really focused on what I can have and using and trying new things. This has opened my eyes to different ingredients, foods, and facts about food and makes me think I'll keep most of the Whole30 principles even after my 30 days is over.

Happy Monday!  

Today is day 17 or 18 - I seriously don't even know anymore. I'm feeling great!! I've had amazing energy for my workouts and runs. I've been sleeping great. I did have a nasty head cold this past weekend and WOW - I have never recovered from a cold THAT fast. I'm still not quite 100% but I really kicked it in 2 days. I feel like colds usually stick around for days, weeks!

I've also decided to extend my about 8 days (Whole38). We're leaving for Mexico on December 11, so my last day will be the 10th. I already have some anxiety about coming straight from a W30, feeling great, and then going on vacation for 7 days. I just have to continue to make healthy choices and not use being on vacation my excuse. 

Here's to another great day!

Archived