Feeling discouraged

Just needed some support. I'm naturally an overly critical person when it comes to myself which I know doesn't help but I'm just really not feeling it today. All I think about is having an oreo, cookie, pastry, really anything sweet. I've been working in work outs in my routine for the past week and I just feel so tired. Especially today, it was the first time since starting the program that I actually snoozed my alarm twice this morning and didn't have the energy or motivation to work out. I would blame it on hormones but that time isn't any time soon. I'm not dealing with anything emotionally distressing at the moment. I don't know what it is but I just feel discouraged. I won't lie I really wanted weight loss to be the main change while doing the whole30 and although I feel a little lighter I can't help but obsess over the new clothes I had purchased last month when I was at my skinniest and how they are still hanging in my closet because I had gained some weight back and my fear that I just wasted a whole bunch of money on clothes I won't be able to get back into. I know that I won't crack with the ten days I have left but I'm anticipating not having a big change like I had hoped. I don't feel energetic, i'm actually now breaking out on my face, I don't look or feel like I was when I was 6 pounds lighter and I'm sick of cooking every day! I'm sorry for my rant and for my complaining. I just couldn't talk to anyone else since no one is really going through this journey close to me, and my co-worker who originally was going to do the program with me bailed the day before starting day. Thanks for even reading this.

Sincerely,

Ariella

I feel like I've been eating enough.

Umm let me think

Yesterday was

Meal 1: sausage, mixed veggies, potatoes and a small salad

Meal 2: tuna salad with apples, side of broccoli, banana and a larabar(i know they arent the best but not too much groceries)

Meal 3: Chicken, brussel sprouts and I won't lie I ended up overdoing it on some nutbutter and apple (I haven't done this in a while)

Today

Meal 1: chicken, mixed veggies, potatoes (wasn't too hungry this morning)

Meal 2: two beef hot dogs, sauerkraut, cauliflower and grapes

Meal 3: fish, califlower or other veggie, side salad

Hi Ariella,

I will start off by saying - what you are feeling / dealing with is pretty normal.  I ask that you take a deep breath and relax.  If you can book yourself a massage even better.  I say this because you sound extremely tightly wound.  And you need to relax and quit pressuring yourself so very much.  

You know by pressuring yourself you are only producing a stress response.  Which produces a cortisol response in your body.  Which causes it to hold onto unwanted fat.  Which causes you to want my sugary refined foods.  See where I'm going with this?

Try to relax and embrace the process.  Your body is going through so very many changes right now.  All of which are normal.

My very first whole 30 - which was in fact a whole 45 - I lost only 6lbs.  In my head I needed to lose about 60.  So quite frankly 6lbs didn't seem like much.  But at least I was 6lbs lighter.  But what I took away from that first experience was so much more than just weight.  I slept better.  My skin got clear (it took a bit for this too happen. my rosacea got worse before it got better) I no longer was getting painful boils along my bikini line.  My big take away was that I got zero PMS symptoms.  No 3 day migraine.  No severe cramping and feeling utterly ill.  Not one massive mood swing.  NIL.  Nada.  nothing.  for me this is huge.  So rather than focusing on a number on a scale try to focus on the positives that you are getting.  

Okay you are mentioning that the energy isn't there.  Then what are you eating?  Are you eating too low carb?  Not enough fats?  It will truly help if you are able to post a couple of days worth of meals here.

Okay I just read your meal list.

You might want to move your starchy carb (potato) to your evening meals.  This really helps for some people.

I also see no posting of fats with your meals.

Honestly when I am not eating enough in general, or my meals are too low in fat I have tendencies to crave bacon, go to town on my coconut butter jar, and empty entire packages of prosciutto.  I will spoon gravy (if available) straight into my mouth.  Basically it's not pretty or entirely healthy to do this in one sitting.  But basically I know my body is telling me things.  I am not eating 1) enough and B) enough fat with each meal.

I just think I'm really stressed out with so many other obligations. Work is really taxing and demanding and I just feel very overwhelmed. Yes I was actually thinking this as well as far as me maybe not eating enough but I feel so full after I eat my meals and at one point I thought maybe I'm having too much fat. I'm sorry I didn't reflect that in the list I gave but do have sources of fat with each meal. All my veggies are cooked with olive oil or coconut oil. I use ghee in a lot of my recipes. I stopped eating nuts (lol besides the nut butter) because I was using it to feed my sugar cravings in the beginning.

Okay Ari,

There's your answer.  Stress from work is causing you have cravings for easy overly processed foods.

Do your meals keep you full enough until the next one.  For instance do you have breakfast at 7:30 am and then are starving by mid morning OR in the afternoon by 3pm?  Being hungry early on or mid afternoon are both symptoms of not eating enough for breakfast.  So you might cook more for breakfast and if you can't finish it.  Just pack away the rest for later.

I strongly encourage you to have some starchy veggies with your evening meal.  Maybe partnered up with another veg...... but if you do the switch it should help you with your energy levels.

Sometimes I do get hungry around 12 if I eat breakfast at like 8am. I try to stretch it until 1 pm which so far today I still don't feel hungry and I had breakfast at 7:30a. Okay I will definitely try switching the starchy veggies for meal 3. Is it okay to have it for breakfast ? What are the benefits of having it for meal 3 instead?

I buy the one in a can that does not contain soy. The ones I used to eat I noticed had soy in them. Sausage is simply pork, salt and pepper. I purchased it from Whole foods along with the compliant beef orgnanic hot dogs. I don't have the food in front of me but I know the ingredients were all compliant as well.

Personally speaking I eat quite few starchy veggies.  I eat some version of a starchy veggie along with at least 2 of my meals.  I'm generally in happier place with them on meal 1 and meal 3.

Meal 1 - I have a morning scramble - ground beef, handful of sweet potatoes, 2 - 3 large handfuls of spinach and 2 eggs.  Serve it with a dollop of mayo.

This keeps me full well until 12:30 to 1pm.

Meal 2 is whatever.  It's leftovers of some kind. Or salad.  But if it is a salad I need to make sure I either have an extra starchy veg, or extra protein.  Otherwise I will be hungry early on.  My favourite combo is usually a soup and salad.

Meal 3 for me - protein + starchy veg is the absolute best for me.  But sometimes it's just fish and broccoli  and that's fine but I know I will be eating carrots, dip and random available protein (Dip: mayo, almond butter, coconut aminos, and hot sauce) later on only because I am hungry.

The reason why I suggest having starchy veg at night is because many people reported that this really helped with them sleeping better.  Sleep better = have more energy.  I haven't really made notes of this for me.  But I have noted that if my dinner is light on starchy carbs I will be waking up at 3 am for no reason whatsoever.  (I have heard actually this is because your body needs carbs to carry itself through the night.  So you waking up is because your actually hitting a "sugar crash" )

Regarding working out. If you are dreading your workout and dragging yourself to the gym then you shouldn't workout. This is just adding to your stress. Maybe do some gentle stretching at home or yoga. There are tons of free workouts on youtube. Maybe go for a nature walk. Be gentle with yourself. Your body may need that extra energy to repair itself. Believe me when you start feeling better and have more energy you will want to workout. Good Luck!

Archived