Newbie starting after Thanksgiving 2014!

ShellyV123

My somewhat reluctant husband and I have made the decision to start after thanksgiving.  He says he is only concerned about how to eat while working [mailman]...I have similar problems, but feel if we do the prep work it is doable.  I am a little nervous about the evenings, that is when we generally fall off of any wagons we may be on at the time.  We both know we need to reset in a big way, and are optimistic that although challenging...it will have big health payoffs!

He says he is only concerned about how to eat while working [mailman]...I have similar problems, but feel if we do the prep work it is doable.

I sometimes drive a truck for work, and carry my food in an insulated lunchbox, kinda like this one:

Arctic_Zone_Cooler.jpg

• Moderators

You're right that prep work is what will make this doable. That's true of anyone doing a Whole30, but it's especially true if you need to take your meals with you and if you don't have time to do a lot of cooking every day.

You might want to check out this description of a weekly cookup for ideas. You might also find this pdf Whole30 travel guide helpful, as far as foods that your husband may be able to take with him as he delivers mail. There are also several previous discussions on similar situations, like this one or this one -- or google Whole30 to go to find more.

As far as snacking in the evening, my biggest tip would be to be sure you eat plenty throughout the day, so that you're definitely not hungry in the evening. When you feel snacky but know you're not hungry, find something to do that keeps your hands and your mind occupied -- you could do meal planning, or write in a journal, or go for a walk, or draw, or paint, or knit -- or whatever you can think of that will keep you busy so you're not eating. 

@lauren_rankin Could you make some soup and always have it in the fridge/freezer? That's a good way to increase the vegetables in your diet. 

Omelets, soups, salads, sauted "hashes" will probably be the bulk of my Whole30  diet...pretty boring stuff. ;)

The hardest part for me has been the little things...no gum, sweetner/creamer in my tea, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lauren,

I have used quite a few recipes in the book. Plus I google recipes all the time. If you have the time, spend a few hours food prepping. It really does help.

Michelle,

Before you know it, those cravings will be gone.

Hope everyone has a successful Whole30!!!

Happy holidays

Archived