Excess phlegm

Hope45

Today is Day 9 of the Whole 30 and I'm really feeling good.  But starting from about Day 4 or 5 until now, I've had excess phlegm and a cough.  Is this typical?  Is my body trying to get rid of toxins?  I don't typically have seasonal allergies, and it doesn't seem like a regular cold.

This is not usually a Whole30 effect. If you are eating a whole lot of something you didn't eat much of before, you could be developing an allergic reaction. But mostly when people get like this it's something non-food related.  I'd look at any new foods you're consuming in quantity; your environment; and sniffly people around you (especially small sniffly people).

Good luck, feel better, and let us know how it goes.

• Administrators

Depending on how much "trauma" your body went through in the first few days (ie, how large the change was from what you ate to the Whole30 way), you might've been slightly run down and caught what's going around.  It's possibly that your body's fighters are getting more up to speed and so perhaps they are fighting the cold more effectively than in your pre-Whole30 life, thus causing it not to feel quite like a standard cold.

Regardless, I hope you feel better!  Bone broth is a body's best friend when it comes to healing.  Throw some bones in a pot or slow cooker with some ACV, carrots, onions, celery and water, S&P and cook on low until tomorrow morning.  Then drink it up!

Like Amy said, not a typical reaction, but you may take a peek at the low-histamine shopping list. (http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-histamine.pdf)

If you've been eating a lot of the foods that are greyed out on the shopping list, maybe try to replace them with something else?

Just one thing that you can tinker with

• 1 year later...

I am now on day 34 of the whole 30 and I have had two bad cases of excessive phlegm with coughing.  I cannot seem to kick it.  Is this my body detoxing or what?  It keeps me awake at night and so I am extremely tired.  At this point I am very discouraged.  I went on this program not because of weight but because of the testimonies of how great everyone was feeling and I am not feeling anything like that with this constant coughing..  Has this happened to anyone else and how what did you do to get over it? Please help if you experienced anything like this and got over it.

Archived