My husband and I are on Day 18 of the Whole30 and so far, so good! My husband is recovering from hip replacement surgery and had to weigh at his post-op appointment (he'd lost 13 pounds in 13 days). Neither of us have had any real food or alcohol cravings and feel fine. Since we were both super-healthy I didn't expect any huge changes in the way we feel but it would have been wonderful to receive all the benefits I hear about from others such as higher energy, better sleep, skin, etc. Our only real issue is that we both have had incidents of feeling dizzy. We are eating plenty and I've been diligent about being compliant with every bite of food we've eaten. We both drink lots of water and there are no other variables that have changed. Any suggestions as to the cause, and more importantly, the cure?

As an aside, after we found out my husband was losing some of the weight he'd hoped to during this detox, I cheated and weighed myself. Since I do not need to lose weight I wanted to address that if necessary. I had only lost one pound so it's good to know that, as a person NOT trying to lose weight, this works for those of us on the other end of the weight spectrum. Thankfully I won't have to listen to anyone make snide comments about my weight...

• Moderators

It would be helpful to know what you're eating, so if you're comfortable posting a few days' worth of meals here, plus how much water you've been drinking, and activity levels, we might be able to offer more specific advice about what might help with the dizziness.

In general, things that might be causing dizziness could include not eating enough in general, not eating enough starchy veggies in particular, not getting enough salt, or not drinking enough water. If you google Whole30 dizzy, you can find past discussions about this and see how others addressed it, but what I just listed seems to sum up most of it.

If you want to be sure you don't lose weight during your Whole30, you might want to read through the tips in this article.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will make a point for us to eat more salt (I have been adding it for the first time in years while cooking) eat promptly when we wake and concentrate on more starchy carbs and see if this helps.  I really appreciate your super-quick response!

• Administrators

Just a quick thought, are either of you on blood pressure medication or taking aspirin? The whole30 way of eating naturally lowers blood pressure so if you are also on medication for it, you could end up with TOO low of BP.  Of course, if you're not on those meds, this doesn't count. ;)

Archived