Headaches

My husband and I just finished day 6 of the whole30 and we've both had terrible headaches EVERY single day. I still drink my morning 12 oz coffee which I was drinking before. I tracked my water the last two days and drank at least 90 oz. I'm nursing so I do require more water. Anyone experience this?

• Moderators

It's not unusual to have headaches during the first week or so of a Whole30, so it could just be that you're still going through that. (Check the timeline for more on that, and what to expect throughout the month.)  

It could also be that you're not eating enough -- either in general, or specifically enough fat and/or starchy vegetables. Make sure that your meals all fit the template. Since you're nursing, you'll actually need more than three template meals a day. You can definitely have four meals, and maybe more. There are many posts that address this, google Whole30 nursing to find more.  And remember that the template is based on hand sizes -- so if your husband's hands are larger than yours, he needs to eat more than you would to get the minimum template amount.

Another thing to consider is salt. If you're coming to this from a diet that included a lot of prepackaged foods or fast food, your salt consumption has probably gone way down. I don't know that it could have gotten low enough to be causing headaches, but it's something to consider.

If you list a couple of days' worth of food, we could give you more specific advice and suggestions to help. 

We did eat out several times a week, but usually I make food from scratch, if I needed canned items they were low sodium because my husband has high bp. I'll list some meals below. Hoping the headaches decrease soon. I already know my husband isn't eating enough... Haha he was a vegetarian for 8 years so eating protein is challenging when it's not concealed.

Yesterday:

Meal#1 yesterday was 2 eggs with 2 oz shredded pork, half a bell pepper, some onions, half and avocado, and compliant salsa.

Meal#2 a good sized bowl of chocolate chili from the well fed cook book, topped with 1/2 avocado and onions also a hand full of matchstick jicama

Snack: large bowl full of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cashews, almonds, coconut shreds, and a little coconut milk

meal#3 palm and a half serving of shredded chili pork topped with tomatoes and chilis, a sweet potato, and a cup of spaghetti squash

Snack: handful of cashews (I know I need to add protein my food aversion is causing problems)

Today:

Meal#1 1 egg fried in ghee (i made two but food aversion kicked in again), sweet potato reheated in coconut oil, a cup of silky ginger zucchini soup from well fed cookbook

Meal #2 can of compliant tuna mixed with homemade Olive oil mayo and a pickle on top of a bed of romaine/spinach, some red onions, banana peppers, sprouts, and tomatoes

Snack: cashews, raspberries, coconut flakes, coconut milk (small bowl)

Ok, here are some suggested tweaks. The fact that you have several snacks tells me that your earlier meals aren't big enough.  You want to play with your protein, veg and fat amounts to get to the point where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

- 1 egg is not enough for a protein serving. You want the number of eggs you can hold in 1 hand.

- More veggies.  You want 1-3 cups per meal - load up!  :)

- If you're having food aversion, try adding some variety in your proteins or veggies.

- If you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test - you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), follow the recommendation for snacks: a mini meal of protein, veg and fat (nuts are a fat source on a Whole30).  Save your fruit to enjoy with or immediately after your main meals only. A serving of fruit is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.

Some thoughts in addition to the great advice from Chris.

Are you both coming from a former vegetarian lifestyle? This article might be helpful for your husband (or yourself): http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Are the meals you are listing the portions just you are eating or that you are both eating? Assuming your husband's hands are larger than yours his servings should also be larger.

I'm on day 14 of my whole30, and no longer have headaches.  I think the culprit was adjusting to a sugar free/lower carb diet. The portions I listed were just for myself. I have started eating more at meals, but  I am breastfeeding a three month old exclusively so snacking isn't really out for me, but I usually eat leftovers for a snack instead so it has protein, veggies, and fat rather than just fat and fruit. 

Archived