Starting on Monday, Dec 29th

Jalopy

Day 23.

Pretty good day.  Got a bunch of oddly random compliments at work today ... from looking fit, to complexion looks nice, to I seem to be extra "sharp" today.  Maybe this IS working - ha!  It was really funny ... even from people who have no idea I'm on the Whole30.  Whole 30 glow??  I don't see it, but it sure felt nice  :)  After the last week of really struggling, I needed a boost.

Have to hit the kitchen tomorrow.  Running on empty in the freezer and down to slim pickings for the veggies.  Boy does the food go fast (and many nights it's just me home!)  My FAVORITE go-to is the zucchini and ginger soup.  It's just so good, filling and a great starter when I come home overly hungry.  Plus it's super easy to make.  

Not sure if I'm up to trying a new recipe this week, so I think I'll do some salads and fish (haven't had any fish yet!).  Going to be a nice day (before a bunch of rain again) so I want time to golf!  When the weather gets nice, I'll need to figure a way to have less time in the kitchen.

Run today was so-so.  No burn feeling though.  Was 1 min/mile slower still ... not as bad as before.

Hope you all are having a good day too.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crud....I typed out this long post, and went to post, and an error occurred...oh well, let's try again, shall we? Ok, day 23 went pretty good, not tons of energy, but not tired at all, so that's an improvement! It was also a very stressful day at work, and normally I would've been freaking out, but I just went with the flow, and did what I could. Now this might not be a big deal to most people, but for me to not be crying right now because of the crazy day I had, is huge! If that's not tiger blood, I don't know what is! Made the crock pot meatballs, had them over broccoli, lol, had nothing else to eat them with! All in all, a very good day! I hope everyone else is having a great day too!

Day 26....got into a button down shirt I couldn't fit into and I happen to have it in 6 colors so that's 6 shirts I can wear now! Could not fall asleep last night until after midnight so only got less than 5 hours of sleep. Read somewhere to eat more carbs at night to get to sleep so had a ton of zucchini noodles and having some fruit. Tomorrow is the challenge day I've been dreading since day 1 but I'm sure I will survive. Conducting a training class in a hotel with a catered lunch I can't eat, save the plain tossed salad. It's not so much bringing the food in but being obvious in front of some people I'm meeting for the first time. Oh well so be it-I will eat a giant breakfast and get my protein from the car at lunchtime. Feeling and looking good and can't believe day 30 is in 4 days!

So, I want to post only positive stuff here but had to put down our dog the other day. The last few days have been really tough and I have gone off whole30 but only a little bit. Have realized that this is the way I want to eat all the time, not just for 30 days. Have felt soooo good on this eating plan and will continue. Not sorry I started and not sorry I made it only to 22 days. Very proud of myself.

Keep up the good work everyone!

I'm so sorry jalopy about your dog! That is so hard and good for you for getting as far as you did, and if you can just keep eating well, even without completing the 30 days, more power to you! Thank you, wholechristina, it's been hard, but I'm getting through it!

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog too Jalopy.  They are such sweet souls and blessings to have in our lives.  Be kind to yourself as you grieve.

You have lots to be proud of ... and it's great you know what makes you feel healthy.  Good luck with the "after" phase.  I'd call those 20+ days a big success! 

Day 24.

I guess it's not a figment of my imagination or wishful thinking ... the magic is starting  :D

Workouts getting stronger.  

I slept so deeply last night.  I'm a great sleeper anyway, so didn't expect (or need) it to change.  But I don't think I moved most of the night!  Felt so refreshed this morning.

What a difference this week (so far!).  Feeling better makes me realize just how crappy I felt last week.  And I was so close to calling it quits and diving into my vanilla cupcakes.

As we all get closer to the "end" I'm curious what you all are planning to do?  Reintroductions?  Continuing on?  Eliminating some foods for good?  As I mentioned before, I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all.  I feel a push to eliminate (most) sugar from my diet ... I just know it's not good for me.  I gave up soda 16 years ago (after trying many times), gave up caffeine when I started having tremors and gave up milk dairy (I can eat cheese) due to lactose intolerance ... but the thought of giving up sugar forever seems upsetting.  But can I handle in moderation??  Would love to hear your thoughts!!

P.S. I had to stop eating broccoli too ... funny ... wasn't hard at all  :P

Have a good night!

Jalopy - so sorry about your dog as well. You did a great job on your whole20! Every day is an achievement.

Day 27 done! That training luncheon was a much smaller deal than I made it out to be. No one would have noticed if I didn't say anything and I really didn't say much anyway. Got my turkey, olives and dressing out of the car and put it on salad. Exhausted from being on my feet all day so no workout. Ate leftover veg and a Pre-made Paleo brisket and some clementines.

Amandyla - glad you found your tiger blood! I ate those meatballs for days! I recommend over spaghetti squash!

WholeChristina - weighing myself on day 31 and no plans to do any reintroductions. Continuing on and doing a Whole60! Just ordered another pile of food from pre-made Paleo and the only thing I will relax on is maybe eating out compliant food even if it may have not the best oil or grass-fed whatever as I have not had one meal this entire time I didn't prepare myself. I feel like 30 days isn't enough for me to achieve optimal wellness. Can you step on your vanilla cupcakes? LOL :D

Day 24.

I guess it's not a figment of my imagination or wishful thinking ... the magic is starting  :D

Workouts getting stronger.  

I slept so deeply last night.  I'm a great sleeper anyway, so didn't expect (or need) it to change.  But I don't think I moved most of the night!  Felt so refreshed this morning.

What a difference this week (so far!).  Feeling better makes me realize just how crappy I felt last week.  And I was so close to calling it quits and diving into my vanilla cupcakes.

As we all get closer to the "end" I'm curious what you all are planning to do?  Reintroductions?  Continuing on?  Eliminating some foods for good?  As I mentioned before, I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all.  I feel a push to eliminate (most) sugar from my diet ... I just know it's not good for me.  I gave up soda 16 years ago (after trying many times), gave up caffeine when I started having tremors and gave up milk dairy (I can eat cheese) due to lactose intolerance ... but the thought of giving up sugar forever seems upsetting.  But can I handle in moderation??  Would love to hear your thoughts!!

P.S. I had to stop eating broccoli too ... funny ... wasn't hard at all  :P

Have a good night!

I hope it's okay to continue posting. Just my thoughts on reintroduction. I haven't added grains, legumes, soy, etc. I did have ice cream once and a drink on Tuesday. Last night was my son's birthday and I made him a cake and I knew that it could have a slice if I wanted to but I didn't want to. My sweet tooth has definitely lessened. I plan on having sugar when it's really something special, something I've never tried before, or a few bites when eating out (which rarely happens). My stomach feels so good and small that I really don't want to go back. If this can happen to me (a bonafide sugar addict), it can happen to anyone.

Have a great week.

Thanks Christine19 and Jalopy for sharing your "after" plans!

Christine19 - Whole60 ... that's fantastic!  Is the Pre-Made Paleo really expensive?  Must be good if you are ordering again.  I'll have to check it out.  I don't want to spend this much time in the kitchen (especially when weather gets nicer).  Many nights it's just me at home ... kids in college ... husband travels - so a quick meal would be great.

Jalopy - (glad you are staying around!) - I'm so happy to hear a little drink and ice cream didn't bring your sugar dragon back to life.  That's a big worry for me.  If I can do occasional indulgences without going back to the yo-yo path I was on, then I feel it would be a successful "after" for me.  I haven't missed dairy or grains ... all about the sugar (and wine)  :) and vanilla cake  :)

Day 25 for me today.

Been a regular day of chores, errands, etc.  Kind of feeling blah mood today.  Not sure why, but I'm sure it will pass.  My workout was okay ... still slowly improving!

Meals have been pulls from the freezer and some fish.  Funny, I thought I should really add some fish to the mix ... as I was eating a spicy fish cake.  Guess I didn't count it as fish since it came from a can!  But it was nice to have some fresh salmon.

Bringing in all my Whole30 books to work tomorrow to share (by request!).  So it will be nice to chat about recipes and the program.

Have a good night!

Day 28 and this time I was one of 3 people that brought lunch instead of eating a catered 3 foot Italian sandwich!!!! It's all about choices and preparation. I still wish I slept better during the week - I don't get more than 6 hours until the weekend and I'm feeling it.

Jalopy - of course you can keep posting! Thoughts, recipes, anything! :)

WholeChristina - premade Paleo has whole30 starter packs and different meal amounts plus a la carte options. I live alone and sometimes I over-buy produce or protein and then can't get to it in time or had enough leftovers every day to make me crazy. This is a perfect portion and I can either decide in the morning what I want and defrost to put in a pan at night or just take it right out of freezer and boil if I forget. Just ordered more of the soups which are very handy. It seems expensive until you see the pile of food you get and then I always mix and match with my own food also so I'm not eating it for three meals and it lasts longer. It's like a grab bag so you don't know what you're gonna get, but not much I haven't liked except for beets and anything with curry (which I rinse off!). It has made me try different things I may not have tried or made on my own such as turnips and brisket.

Rock on everyone ---- it's the home stretch!!!!!

Day 26 in the books.

Long day at work today.  My job keeps me on my feet all day ... I'm bushed.  Eating a quick dinner (ate a really late lunch so not very hungry now) and heading to bed.  Maybe with a quick stop on the sofa, but I don't think I can stay up very long.

Hope you all had a happy Friday!!  Yea for the weekend!

Woke up to a winter wonderland on Day 30.....it's really here! Finally slept for 9 hours last night and now that I'm snow bound I will make another round of homemade mayo and soup! Jumping on that scale tomorrow and will do measurements. Still planning on continuing on to the 60 day mark. Feeling super proud but still dealing with the harsh reality that 30 days is not long enough for me to know that I have made a lasting change just yet. I read the whole30 article on food grief ....trying to paste the link here but it's really accurate for me. http://w30.co/foodgrief

Anyone planning on continuing to a whole45 or 60? Would also love to know how the official reintroduction phase by category goes for those that are planning that and what the results are. Happy Saturday everyone!

Hey all.  Posting early today ... busy night ahead.

Today is day 27 and truth be told, I planned it to be my last day on the Whole30.  I have an 80's dance costume party for a good friend's big b-day tonight (and it's a surprise - extra fun!).  Party is across the street (no driving needed!) and I'm not on-call (yea!).  This is a group of serious party folks!  But in keeping with the Whole30 philosophy I decided not to plan a cheat ... just figure it out as it happened.

As it stands today, I've decided to finish out the Whole30.  A few hours are not worth ending the commitment.  I'm used to being the designated driver or on-call for work and I don't drink at all in those cases.  I don't "party" very often, just enjoy some low key social drinking!  So, I have no doubt I will still have a great time.

I just don't feel like feeling like crap tomorrow.  I have a fun day planned Sunday too and don't want to ruin it by drinking.  I'm armed with my seltzer water and ready to go.  

Another reason I decided to stay on tract ... a friend who has done Whole30 before came off day 29 with a bang and ended up feeling horrible that night!  I can see me having to go home after a couple of drinks with a huge stomach ache.  If people ask, I'll tell them I'm trying to figure out some stomach issues (which is the truth) and then change the subject zippy quick.  Once people start drinking, they won't even notice I'm not!

Sitting here waiting for Moroccan Meatballs (Well Fed) to finish cooking for lunch.  Smells great.  Trying a new meatball recipe to change it up a bit.

Here's hoping I hold strong tonight!  Have a good day everyone!

PS  Christine19 ... way to finish out the Whole30!  Congratulations!!

Good morning!  

Yea I did it.  Whole 30 the whole night  :)

I will admit I probably would have had a bit more fun with a couple of drinks and post Whole30 I will ... but all in all, still had a good time!  Dinner didn't interest me (and was cream based, so can't eat it anyway). The only struggle was when they cut the VANILLA cake.  OMG.  I think I drooled.  Most b-day cakes are chocolate (which I like somewhat) but I love vanilla.  Hubby was sweet ... told me it tasted bakery fake.  I'm picky about my vanilla ... still it looked amazing!

Happy to wake up feeling fine.

Today is another social day.  Meeting at this amazing local donut shop for donuts and coffee.  I think I love the place because they have a special donut recipe ... takes just like vanilla cake.  Guess I'm being tested.  Have to pick up a few boxes for work tomorrow too.  My turn to bring the Monday donuts.

Then golfing.  Should be sunny and warmer today.  I'm passing on lunch.

I feel really happy about my decision to stay on track.  Smooth sailing to day 30  :) ... I hope.

BTW ... meatballs are a winner too!  All the recipes have been great.  The only things I haven't liked are the fatter meats I've tried.  (A marbled steak, chicken thighs.)  Guess I don't have a taste for those kind of meats.

WholeChristina --- great job on staying compliant through the party! Woohoo!

OK, so now I know why you're not supposed to weigh yourself during the Whole30 - for me, I think I would be on that scale every day and get frustrated and disappointed. I was kind of a wreck to even get on the scale I almost didn't do it! Drumroll...nine pounds! I also took measurements - one inch off my chest, two off my waist and two and a half off my hips. I thought I would have lost more, based on how my clothes fit, but I am happy to see progress. My skin and mind is clearer, I have more energy, my fitness levels have soared and my daily mood is much improved. It's official....it's day 31 of my whole60! Good luck to everyone on the home stretch....just a few more days to go!!!!

Congratulations on completing the program and the great results!  Tomorrow is day 30 for me.  I have to admit that I have occasionally weighted myself, so I am not expecting anything so dramatic.  Perhaps I ate too many nuts?  Didn't get the fat to protein to vegetable ratios right?  I will give the report tomorrow. 

I feel great, and haven't had many cravings, or dreams, or even the bitchiness that the timeline suggested.  I miss wine (or a martini) with dinner on the weekends, but haven't found the ubiquitous chocolate and snacks at work tempting.  I'll certainly say that grocery shopping, once I stocked up on the pantry items, has been a breeze just hitting the outside aisles of the store!

I plan to stay on the Whole 30, with a few days off here and there, and giving myself some permission to be less strict if the situation requires, until March 14 when we go to Hawaii.

The finish line is in sight, good luck to everyone in the final few days!

Day 28.

So happy for both you ladies (Christine19 and Elaine-O) on finishing out the 30 and both continuing on!

Christine19 - 9 pounds is fantastic!!  And all those inches too.  You must feel so great!!

Today was a fun day.  No problem at the donut shop.  Smelled amazing, but had no thought of wanting to eat any.  Golf was fun in the sunshine today.  Home for the day now.  Hitting an afternoon slump (probably since I was up so late last night).  Just relaxing ... feels nice.

Onward to Monday!  

You guys are awesome! I wish I could've stuck with it with you all! I felt so good on this that I've decided to start another one on feb 1. There's another thread that I'll join because I found that these forums really help. My sugar tooth is back but not the carbs (flour) so perhaps another try will kick the sugar monster out.

Thank you all for your kind words regarding the loss of my dog. I miss her every day but I'm so grateful for the years she was with us and the joy she brought us.

One more day ...

Still amazed it is almost over.  I really am looking forward loosening the reins a bit and getting back to socializing without having to be "that person."  I hope it doesn't send me back to old habits.  Guess I need to figure out a balance.  I will stay on plan this week since I have long work days and this just seems easier on busy days.

I've been thinking a lot about the good, bad and so-so of this program for me.    Maybe I'll do a list tomorrow to help me see things more clearly.

For now, I'm spent from a long day ... so bed is calling.

Jalopy - congratulations on committing to another Whole30!  I'm curious what you think brought your sugar monster back.  This is a big problem for me and a worry as I transition off the strict program that I'll end up right back at the beginning.  Even just knowing I CAN eat something might be enough to start the nightly struggle.  

Have a good night all!

Wholechristina, I haven't figured out why the sugar monster came back. I wish I could pinpoint it. I think lack of planning has something to do with it. I think that the meal planning and the inclusion of plenty of fats in my dinner meal kept me satiated to the point of not snacking at night. That's when I've been having sweets. I don't crave them before that. I also think another whole 30 will be helpful. I've joined another thread (February 1) and I'd be interested in hearing how your reintroduction is going, if you want to drop in. Best of luck!

Archived