Breakfast trouble

Hi ladies,

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and thinking about starting my 3rd whole30. My concern is breakfast. Before pregnancy I was usually having some eggs with veggies&fruit or left over dinner for breakfast (spicy pulled pork, yam!). Now just a thought of these for breakfast makes me throw up :( Lately I've been having egg+banana pancakes or hemp+fruit smoothies with nuts. I guess these are not allowed during a whole30 even for nauseous pregnant women...?

Later in the day protein and veggies go down pretty well, but the morning seems impossible. I'm hoping it will get easier soon. Don't know if waiting a few more weeks would be better that starting now...

Do you have any breakfast suggestions? What has worked for you? 

Remember that breakfast is just your first meal of the day. You do not have to eat eggs. Maybe a light soup with some shredded chicken and veggies in it? The broth would be gentle on your stomach, and protein (from my own personal experience) is the best way to curb morning sickness. If eating something warm first thing in the morning isn't doing it for you try a salad with shredded chicken and some avocado: it will be fresh and light, yet still filling.

Thanks notyouravrgpaleomama! Chicken and broth sounds like a good option.

I think the nausea is getting better every day so I decided the best for me is to wait one more week to be out of the first trimester. Then it's on! First pregnant whole30 here I come :)

• 4 weeks later...

How are you doing now?

You have my sympathies. I was eating primally when I got pregnant and was the healthiest I'd ever been. The nausea and food aversions kicked in at 7 weeks and I couldn't bear the sight of eggs, fish, meat or veg. Ummm, helpful. I actually didn't eat brocolli till I was about 34 weeks pregnant. And even then didn't enjoy it. I ate a lot of fruit. And toast. A lot of toast ......

I have total respect for anyone who can eat paleo never mind whole 30 whole pregnant. It baffles me that my body would reject the healthiest food I have ever eaten in favour of white carbs. Ugh.

Hannlib, thanks for sharing your experience. 

I'm doing really well now, so much better than on week 10 :D I'm on day 28 of my Whole30 and have been 100 % compliant to the rules. :) Though not necessarily to all the recommendations, since I have had some smoothies and a lot of snacks!! Saw that snacking is allowed for pregnant ladies anyway.

I started on the 13th week, when the nausea was getting better, though I was still vomiting a few times most days. I'm now on the 17th week and feel pretty good every day, the vomiting has almost completely ceased and my appetit is stronger than ever! Paleo foods taste great again.

All the best to all ya pregnant woman doing these! It's hard but it can be done. :)

Archived