Ghee

Avellina

I live in rural Colorado and ghee cannot be purchased here. Suggestions for substitutes? Thank you! 

pretty to make your own. Just take regular butter and melt it in a big skillet. you don't want to brown it. Just melt. Double boiler works if you have one. Then just skim off the foamy white parts until you're just left with clear liquid.

I just made ghee for the 1st time yesterday. It went from a lovely yellow color to dark brown in an instant! I immediately removed it from the heat and let it cool before straining. It doesn't have a burnt taste so I guess I will use it. Hopefully I will do a better job next time. But it wasn't a hard or tedious process...I will definitely do it again.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I bought this at Whole foods to stock my whole30 pantry prior to my start date but how and when do you use it?  I am guessing like fat or butter?  Can you put it on vegetables for cooking?  DO people use it in bullet proof coffee instead of the grass fed butter for the whole30?

Ok I bought this at Whole foods to stock my whole30 pantry prior to my start date but how and when do you use it?  I am guessing like fat or butter?  Can you put it on vegetables for cooking?  DO people use it in bullet proof coffee instead of the grass fed butter for the whole30?

All of the above.  Put it on a baked sweet potato or in mashed cauliflower too.

On the bullet proof coffee, just be sure you're having that along with a meal, and not as a meal substitute.

ok someone on here was posting about the Ghee at TJ not being clarified and I can not find that discussion now. Does anyone know this answer.  The person was actually going to contact TJ and check.  I recently bought some and do not want to use it if it is not correct for whole30.

If the milk solids aren't out, it's not ghee.  Ghee is just clarified butter that's been cooked a bit longer; both come from separated and strained butter.

(and ideally whether it's clarified butter or ghee, the starter butter should be pastured/organic.)

Archived