Reintroduction Confusion

DMG

Hi all,

I finished my successful Whole 30 a month ago, and I'm a bit confused with reintroduction.

I know we're all supposed to "ride our own bike" as it were, but I'm confused about reintroducing things like dairy, grains and legumes when there were reasons for us to eliminate them from our diets in the 1st place.

I know Melissa & Dallas mention that you shouldn't live your life on a permanent Whole 30 diet, but it seems like if there was a reason for eliminating those things, then ideally we should continue to not eat them. I read somewhere that eating these types of things is akin to taking a piece of sandpaper and rubbing it on your arm. Even if you only eat these items occasionally (metaphorically, rubbing the sandpaper), your system (or arm) can never truly heal. If this sandpaper/digestive problem only compounds the more you eat these previously omitted food items, it seems best to leave them out.

What do you think? Is there a real reason to start including these foods again?

Thank you!

We encourage the reintroduction because it will let you understand how these foods were or were not affecting you previously. Then you have all the tools at the ready to make life long food choices every day.

Having done a W30 or two myself, I know how these foods affect me. I know that one day of dairy will make me sniffly the next morning. 2+ days of dairy will make me break out. Gluten sits in my stomach like a brick. Sugar is (shockingly) no longer a trigger for me.

I understand that those foods still violate the good food principles, but sometimes that doesn't matter. If I'm on vacation in Mexico, I'm going to eat the housemade corn tortillas. I know that sugar won't mess me up that much, so I'll have some homemade toffee during the holiday season. If my grandfather takes the time to make my favorite meal from childhood, I'm going to have a small serving to satisfy myself and not insult him. Sometimes the offroading is worth it. That's why M&D have written their series about riding your own bike, so you learn when and what occasions are worth it.

If you're 100% content to keep going and excluding all these foods, go for it! I just think it's nice to know how or if these foods affect you, so if you're in a situation where somebody has a gun to your head and is forcing you to choose between a cup of yogurt, a bowl of pasta or a bowl of jolly ranchers, you know which bowl to choose :)

Thank you Renee! That is very helpful. I look forward to the day when sugar is not a trigger for me. I guess I've been stuck in the anxiety phase. Must be time to let go of the side of the pool.

Thank you!

Archived