Anyone starting soon? January 20th or after.

Tina Beshears

Happy Day 1!

Tina: I know what you mean. I was super nervous my first time around, but it got somewhat easier as time went on because it was a process of reteaching my body how our new habits will work from now on. You know? I think that's what gets me...my body has so many bad habits/patterns that need to be broken and this is the process of reteaching your brain how you will be eating for the rest of your life....we're not going back to our old selves anymore. At least for me, I'm desperate for change. The sugar dragon owns me, and I can't take it anymore. So, this challenge is more than just a reset button...it's my rehabilitation process of installing new habits/recreating a new me that I pray will be in charge of the cravings from now on and know how to tackle these old habits/patterns that ruin me. :( 

I really love what's on the menu for you today! I will definitely do that tomorrow (your lunch in particular!). Today, I learned a very valuable lesson, and I've only been into the challenge for like 3 hours haha....meal prep, meal prep, meal prep. Now, don't get me wrong...I had all my little foods and snacks made already in the fridge, but they weren't packed away in my lunch box, ready to be grabbed right before going out the door...and trust me, those minutes you spend packing your lunch matter when you're running short on time. Plus, I like to take my time on stuff like that anyway because I enjoy it. :) SO, even though I may have made food from the night before and it's ready to be put on my plate, if it's not packed away already in my lunch box, I'll have to eat out every day...and that's expensive. Lesson learned, applying the lesson from now on, haha. 

Any other busy people out there that have tricks/tips with meal prep/packing?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!  I'm Michelle, and this is my January re-start.  I started at the first of the month, and then things sort of fell apart for me after two weeks.  So, here I am restarting again.  I've got a good 10 pounds to lose, and I've been doing Paleo on and off for about a year.  My initial W30 last year was amazing, so I'm baffled that I haven't been able to stick with it.  But, here I am. 

I'm a mom of 2 rowdy boys, have a Paleo + beer hubby :), and a crazy dog.  I work in health care and love yoga and running when the mood strikes.

Pleased to meet you all - hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread!

Michelle

Any other busy people out there that have tricks/tips with meal prep/packing?

Hi Nicole345!  I am a huge fan of some of the sites/cookbooks that you listed!  We tend to follow the Well Feed cook up plans...  but I'm not going to lie, there's lots of times when I defrost a ton of meat, season it all up and tell my hubby to grill away.  Then all I have to worry about are the veggies, which I can do daily to suit our moods.  I also do one or two big batches of soup or stew per week to have for lunches during the week. 

I'm all about slaying the sugar dragon this time around too!  Best wishes!

Have a good day!

Greetings, everyone.  I am starting my second Whole30 today, too.  Breakfast was two eggs (I may need to increase that), a pile of vegetables (cabbage, red pepper, and some baked sweet potato from last night) sauteed in coconut oil, sliced tomato, and tea.

Lunch will be leftover grilled chicken, grilled butternut squash, and a baked potato with butter (yeah, I know it's not compliant; I am not fancy enough for clarified or ghee yet).  Oh, and I think DH left me carrot and celery sticks, so those too. 

ThyPeace, not so hardcore about stuff like butter.

Hi everyone,

I started my 2nd whole30 yesterday. Everything is going well. I am remembering all of the delicious food I ate before, which helps! The tiredness really hit me this evening, though. Hoping tomorrow will be ok!

The great thing is I already know I can do this!!

Hello everyone!!  I also started on the 20th!!!  I had to start over, due to a slip up I had over the weekend!!!  BOOO HOOOO!!!  I made it to day 15, and felt wonderful!!!  I was on a 3 day ski trip, and was limited on food choices, and I gave in. However, I did not make it a full blown out binge. That is something I would have done in the past. My slip up was a serving of rice and beans in the chili, and 1 small glass of red wine. Not a big deal to me. I picked myself up,  brushed off, and set my focus to start over. I really want to experience 30 or more full clean days!! I  most likely wont have the withdrawals or headaches like I did when I first started. I hope you are all doing well!!  I also need to belong to a group for the support.I am doing this alone. No one at home wants to join me!  Oh well, their loss!! OBTW, for all the coffee drinkers, I went a few days without coffee because of no dairy or sugar. I COULD NOT drink it black. I had some wicked headaches!!!  After not having any sugar, my taste buds have changed. I can now really enjoy a cup black. But I found my new best friend...... canned coconut milk or cream!!! MUST BE CANNED with NOTHING added!!  I put a few tablespoons in my coffee and YUMMY!!!!!  

Starting day 2.  I'm glad to see so many of us on here.  I got a slight headache yesterday but I'm feeling pretty good this morning.  I REALLY wanted to get on that scale but I walked away from it.  I'm going to have to move that thing from the bathroom so I can avoid even looking at it.  I usually weigh myself every morning but I'm committed to the W30 rules so no weighing for now.

How's everyone else doing today?  How did yesterday go?

Today's breakfast: Fritatta. sliced red onions, chopped sweet red pepper, sliced yellow squash, fresh pressed garlic, salt pepper, 3 eggs. cooked in coconut oil. So yummy and easy. Heated oil in my #5 cast iron skillet. pressed 4 garlic cloves into the hot oil. layered onion, squash, pepper. Poured beaten eggs over that then popped it into my counter top convection oven @350 for 10 min. So good and so easy. This will be a frequent breakfast on work days. Just mix up the veg and seasonings.  My hardest thing has been figuring out and setting goals for my whole 30. Last time, I didn't set any. This time, I need to. So, for my goal this whole30, is sleep. I have a hard time going to bed at night, esp. when I have to work the next day. Avoidance and procrastination are not my friend. Even tho, I know I still have to get up at 4:50 am, I still try to stretch my off day. So, my goal is to be in bed by 9pm on the nights before work. I work 12 hour shifts, 3 days a week. By the end of my whole30, my goal is to be getting to bed by 9pm most nights. Since sleep is a big factor in health, this is my priority goal of the many things I need to change in my life. Nutrition is covered by the whole30.

Good morning Day 1-ers and 2-ers! Glad we can all support each other on here! My morning has been busy, as usual, but I've been nipping it in the bud having bene prepared ahead of time with food. Lunch was all packed from last night and breakfast was a quick egg and kale casserole put in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes while I got dressed. Took it in a container to break and boom--breakfast is served, and I was on time for work. :) HOWEVER, I just came across a little boo-boo. I used this unsweetened ketchup I had in my fridge (Westbrae Natural brand) and realized something after I ate my eggs....it has this ingredient in it: "maltodextrin (from corn)"

Honestly, now I'm a little bummed out because of that. I didn't realize it was in it until after...and it sucks because the rest of the ingredients are all natural and whole ingredients (as in tomatoes and sea salt). I don't want to have to restart because of that...and it wasn't much ketchup...and I'm wondering how much damage that would really cause in the first place...I'm going to try to not stress out about it and just keep on going.

Tina: I know what you mean about the headache. That happened to me a couple times my first time around and will probably happen again this time. But I was definitely feeling that 3:00-4:00 pm energy slump yesterday...I kept picturing going to get a treat to pick-me-up...and then I was like, "Oh, right. Can't do that." BUT, I know by the end of this challenge, my usual go-to foods that I would eat without much thought will no longer be like that. Like I mentioned before, the whole point of this is breaking the habits/patterns. Reinstalling new ones is the ticket! SO I was proud of myself to not snack during that period. :) 

For dinner, I had lobster (locally caught--it's lobster season here in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands), local green veg, lemon garlic dressing with local tomatoes, and sauteed veg with the lobster. Old Bay seasoning and Berbere seasoning are a God-send. Try it out!...Whole Foods or Trader Joes has it, I'm sure.

CottageQueen: I struggle to get to bed on time as well, and also have early mornings--4:30/5:00 a.m. What I try to do is set an alarm on my phone 30 minutes before I want to go to sleep, so that I know whatever I'm doing in that moment needs to come to a close, as I prepare for bed. Use those 30 minutes to unwind, get your body and mind ready for shut down. Don't just be busy up to the point of getting in your bed (if you can help it). Drink some tea, read a book, listen to music, avoid the t.v. and cell phone, and computer...it signals your brain for activity, versus wanting it to calm down. And your eyes are too stimulated at that point. 

I started January 20th and am psyched!

My husband and I started Wheat Belly on May 27th and have done great. He has lost 28.5 and I have lost 26lbs.

After the holidays although I did relatively well I wanted to do some to take my health to the next level and this is it. I know my weaknesses and they are red wine, cheese and cream in my coffee. I am also a vegetarian. I started yesterday and had a great day including drinking my coffee black and it really isn't bad. I am looking forward to this and am determined to succeed and once I see my mind to something that is it!!!!

Feeling confident!!!!

Good morning everyone!  So, I made a lovely batch of cauli rice for breakfast this morning (with my sausage and eggs!), and then quickly lost it to the 20-month old who ate my whole bowl.  Stinker pants.  :)  So, I didn't get my veggies in for breakfast this morning, but I was really excited to see my youngest chowing down on the veggies! 

What's on the menu for everyone today?

Here's my official Day 1 menu plan:

1:  eggs, sausage, half an avocado, coffee

2:  fresh veggies with homemade "ranch" mayo dip, chocolate chili (WF1), raspberries

3:  hamburgers on a big salad of lettuce, tomato, red onion, and maybe a sweet potato

I also have kombucha (for a fizzy kick if I need it to replace my age-old Diet Coke habit), and a Lara Bar if work goes late and I get desperate.  HAGD!

Day 2 and going strong!! I see you are all doing well.....besides the headaches and energy slumps. Hang in there they do pass. It took me about 8 or 9 days before I felt good. I am not experiencing them this time. This morning was egg salad on tomato slices,coffee with coconut cream, and an apple. The homemade mayonnaise is wonderful. Lunch leftover chicken thigh and broccoli with an orange. Dinner will be the Moroccan meatball recipe turned into a meatloaf with cauliflower! !! Definitely not starving. Happy eating to all, Debbie

I'm so glad you reminded me of egg salad!  I got really excited when I remembered that I can make deviled eggs with the homemade mayo because I love those things.

This morning I had three eggs and black coffee and 5 kalamata olives a little later in the morning. 

Lunch was tuna salad and a banana (weird I know)  I also have some bone broth if I get hungry from not having enough food at lunch.

Dinner will be surf & turf (grilled steak & shrimp), grilled asparagus, salad with balsamic & olive oil and roasted veggies.

I had some roasted veggies from Earth Fare yesterday that was so good!  It was just zucchini, squash, purple onion, olive oil, salt and pepper.  They roasted them 15 minutes on 350.  I plan to make this a lot!

• Administrators

Also, since one of my aesthetic goals on this challenge is weight loss, I will be eating mostly vegetables (mostly green veg.) 99% of the time, and little to no fruit. I don't want to put myself in tight restraints with this, but I know I don't want to have more than one serving of fruit a day, or maybe even every other day, or maybe one week on, one week off,...there's room to experiment. :) I will also not be including any starchy vegetables in my Whole30 (butternut squash, pumpkin, yuca, plantain, etc.) BUT, I will have a sweet potato maybe once a week. Only because there's this dish I want to make that requires a sweet potato, hahaha. SO, just sharing some of the things I won't be including that will support my goals and still be good for me and resetting my system. :)

Has anyone else considered not including certain things that are still Whole30 approved?

Hi Nicole, I'm not sure if anyone got back to you on this or not so I'll throw my hat in the ring.  It sounds like you are wanting to do a very low carb Whole30...which is totally fine...in theory.  But please pay attention to how you go because you could experience heavier symptoms both at the beginning and further on when you restrict carbohydrates such as you outline.  Moodiness, fogginess, dizziness, nausea, exhaustion etc would not just be symptoms that you have to "push through" they would be your body begging for carbohydrates. Especially in the week leading up to your period you may notice that you need the starchies, they aren't to be feared and if you do have weight to lose, you'll drop it even while eating starchy veggies.  Dropping the fruit is less concerning as they aren't as valuable a source of carbohydrates (lots of us don't eat fruit).  

If you experience extreme cravings for sugary or junky food items that's a sign of lack of carbohydrates too.

So just to be clear, I'm not saying you cannot do it this way successfully while eliminating starchy veggies...just that you could end up causing yourself more discomfort than is needed....and with little measurable benefit.

Hullo, everyone.  I hope day 2 has gone well for you.  I am doing day 2 of a very heavy menstrual flow at the same time as day 2 of the Whole30, so have to agree with ladyshanny that menstruation does affect my appetite.  I'm hungrier then than at other times.  I usually crave salty foods, though, rather than carbs.  So I have retrieved a quart of broth from the freezer and have salted it nicely.  It's warm, it's rich, it's salty, and I'm pretty sure it has nutrients my body wants (it sure tastes like it does, anyway). 

For the rest of the day, here's the food:

Breakfast (6:50am):  Four eggs (DD didn't want hers) with sauteed vegetables and strawberries, tea to drink

Lunch (12:45pm):  Grilled chicken, a few french fries (cooked in olive oil -- I don't recommend this for every day, but oh, the salt, the salt!), grilled butternut squash, banana, an avocado, and a quarter-ounce of unsweetened chocolate*

Snack (4pm):  Apple and water (didn't have my almonds with me, which I would usually have with an apple).

Supper (6:50pm):  Broth and applesauce so far, I'm getting to the rest of it, but I'm not that hungry so may pass and go to bed early instead.

ThyPeace, after a hot shower, possibly.

* I don't know whether unsweetened chocolate is Whole30 approved or not, but it helps me immensely when I have sugar cravings or when everyone around me is having a treat and I "can't."  Ghirardelli 100% and Sharfen-Berger 99% (the other 1% is vanilla) are both really good.  Just like switching from coffee ice cream to black coffee, though, it's an acquired taste.

• Administrators

* I don't know whether unsweetened chocolate is Whole30 approved or not, but it helps me immensely when I have sugar cravings or when everyone around me is having a treat and I "can't."  Ghirardelli 100% and Sharfen-Berger 99% (the other 1% is vanilla) are both really good.  Just like switching from coffee ice cream to black coffee, though, it's an acquired taste.

Nope, definitely not approved.  Besides being excluded for the Whole30 for the fact that it is chocolate, you really want to get away from propping those sugar cravings up with anything sweet.  Your brain throws a tantrum for sweets and you give it sweets and it wins and never changes.  This applies to using fruit as a "sweet" also.  If you absolutely have to snack, please try to make it protein and a fat, ideally also some veggies.

Day 3 here. Wait, what, unsweetened chocolate is a no-no? Ack! Does that include the unsweetened cocoa in the recipe for Well Fed's chocolate chili? I made that last night and am about to have a bowl in the next little bit, along with sautéed kale and a salad with avocado. Does this mean I have to start back at Day 1? Oh noooooo..... How about raspberry/blueberry/blackberry/banana/kale smoothies?

• Administrators

Day 3 here. Wait, what, unsweetened chocolate is a no-no? Ack! Does that include the unsweetened cocoa in the recipe for Well Fed's chocolate chili? I made that last night and am about to have a bowl in the next little bit, along with sautéed kale and a salad with avocado. Does this mean I have to start back at Day 1? Oh noooooo..... How about raspberry/blueberry/blackberry/banana/kale smoothies?

Unsweetened cocoa used as a spice/seasoning is perfectly fine! Eating unsweetened baking chocolate or the like as a treat/sweet is not alright. Context. :)

Smoothies are frowned upon. You get much more value from chewing whole foods than from drinking them. Further, a smoothie with the ingredients that you list is a huge liquid sugar bomb to your body, not great for hormone regulation, appetite balancing and sugar craving reduction. Choose a meal containing protein, veggies and fat for 30 days and catch up with that smoothie at the end. ;)

Here's the meal planning template in case you haven't seen it. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Archived